“Best location for visiting trade show” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai

Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #22 of 4,967 Hotels in Shanghai
Scotland
“Best location for visiting trade show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here on a business trip whilst visiting Automechanika Shanghai. Hotel is right opposite so ideal if you want to stay close by. We travelled by Maglev(50RMB) from the airport to Lang yong rd station & then on by metro. Maglev is great (304km per hour, takes only 7 minutes), so definitely worth trying, but changing to metro line is not great with luggage. If doing it again I'd take a taxi from Lang yong, but you need to have your hotel address translated into Chinese for the taxis, or you have little chance of getting there!
Hotel is huge & new & very well known in Shanghai. Room was lovely, food in the grill room was superb. We were very impressed. Hotel has a new spa/fitness centre, work still being done on this when we were there, but looked very good. If you like modern, international hotels, you'll like this. There are some customer service issues but think this are down to training as it's a new hotel with new staff. They were all eager to please & helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JHS_Pudong, EAM at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear LizzieMacW,

So glad to have read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai. Allow me to thank you for both your time and for this in depth review of our property and environment . It is truly encouraging to know that our efforts to bring about constant improvements in our services and facilities creates a positive experience for our guests. – It is great as well to hear directly from our guest that staff were eager to please & helpful . I can ensure you that we will definitely work on our customer service approach to improve and for you to see the progress when you are next in Shanghai. I hope that I will be able to meet you in person next time you visit Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai.

Yours sincerely,

Alice Mafaity
EAM Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Went here for a business trip and was upgraded to a suite. The room was very large with a separate lounge and bedroom area, the toilet, shower and bath was well equipped. Only unusual thing was that I was given a twin room although I specifically mentioned that I was the only guest staying.

The buffet breakfast was also excellent, with a good selection of both Chinese and Western options.

The location is far from the city, but good for accessing the Pudong airport, exhibition centre and Kerry Parkside.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank siyat
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is the first time i stay in this hotel, overall experience is good, only when i do check in the front desk officer is not pay much attention to the gift certificate that i give, it write that include breakfast for 2 person (written in English and Chinese) but he said that usually the gift certificate is exclude breakfast, need to pay RMB 500 for 2 person breakfast. Only after i ask him to check with the manager then he confirm it, English also not so good.
In their website inform there's a child promo, give ipad for child play the games,etc. When i ask, they said it's for October promotion and now already end of November, should be update the website otherwise people will expect the promotion.
Also in TV, from 50 TV channel there's no 1 channel for kids at all.

Pro : big size room with good facilities and amenities, good house keeping and very clean. Have a pillow menu but need wait 20minutes to get it.

Overall it's good experience but so so service, especially the front desk and not so kids friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Alice M, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear ay12

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your obvious disappointment with some aspects of your stay. I do note from your comments and ratings of the various areas of service that we did not meet your expectations in many different ways throughout your time here with us. We do strive to provide the highest level of service in all areas of the hotel, and I am sorry to have not reached those levels to your satisfaction in this instance. I hope that we may be better able to serve your needs next time you stay at Jumeirah Himalayas. We will certainly do our very best to do so.

Once again, my apologies for the shortfall in service you encountered, and my thanks for bringing your experiences to our attention. Rest assured we will be working on it with the team. And I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah in the near future.

Sincerely

Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

From first to last - from Check-in to Checkout - the experience and service was excellent.
Staff were all, without exception, very charming and friendly and anxious to please. Couldn't be faulted. Even the bedroom cleaners folded any clothes that had been tossed to one side with care and attention - no way does this happen often. Food was very good indeed from the various cuisine from several countries for breakfast, to the Shang-high restaurant - very sweet service by the way with all staff very happy to serve and apparently not sure what to do if they were offered a tip. (Very straight people - not spoiled at all.) Also I tried the Teppanyaki restaurant for lunch and the food was excellent there as well. Everyone there was friendly and helpful with a special mention for the Concierge staff who were particularly on the ball, attractive and helpful. I travel a lot all over the world and am lucky enough to spend time at wonderful hotels and I have to say that the Jumeirah Himalayas is up there in my personal top ten now. Decor was sumptuous, the bedrooms were generously proportioned and luxurious and the bed was soooo nice and comfortable - wish I could have stayed longer in it! The only downside for me was the location - perfect if you were going to one of the myriad local fairs - they are held right outside. Not so good if you want to be in old Shanghai.
Last thing I want to mention is the sound and sound system in the main foyer/lounge/breakfast room. It is brilliant. The system itself was full and 'fat' and whoever chooses the music does a brilliant job - I have an eclectic taste and so did they. From Western classical, to Eastern, to Jazz, to pop, to world music - it was great. And the sort of music that you could tune out of if you wanted to talk or people watch or tune into if you wanted to chill.
It was an exceptionally good stay - thank you all!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicolas C
Alice M, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Nicolas C,

So glad to have read that you enjoyed your recent trip with us here at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai. Allow me to thank you for both your time and for this in depth review of our property. It is truly encouraging to know that our efforts to bring about constant improvements in our services and facilities creates a positive experience for our guests. In the end it comes down to personal service and heartfelt care for our guests which really makes the difference. The staff are doing all they can to extend themselves in any way to ensure that each guest has a personalized and enjoyable stay with us.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that I will be able to meet you in person next time you visit Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The GOOD
I think i was upgraded on check in and i really liked the rooms. the Lobby was very nice and so was the elevator the corridor ect. 5 star feel. The bed was comfortable and i was able to get a good rest after each day at the fair. The location to the fairgrounds is priceless, at the end of the day there is a mad rush for people leaving the fairgrounds and this is just a walk across the street.

Now the BAD
Firstly i was quite dissapointed by the food. i was quite tired and didnt make it out for dinner on my first 2 nights. The first night i tried the japanese restaurant which had an all you can eat promotion. The food was not good. the sushi rice didnt seem to be prepared properly. it is as if they didnt add the vinegar for it and then fan it properly so that it would set right. the tempura was soggy and the food was under par. unworthy of even a 3 star hotel.
The second night i had the buffet which wasnt bad but the taste wasnt there. the seafood bar had seafood which werent cleaned properly.
The breakfast was good, i had the buffet 2 times and ordered in room once. the inroom portions were quite large

the bathroom door in my room got stuck and wouldnt close. i was alone the first 2 mornings so that was fine.. the other 2 mornings it was very awkward. i asked them to fix it when i was leaving the first morning and they did.. but when i opened the door again it was stuck again. i think it fell off its railing.
there is a major flaw with the shower area.. there isn't a shower room and the water if opened when the shower head is still on the rack then the water would shoot straight for the curtain which is not a shower curtain and im sure would not deal well with getting wet

I would definitely stay here again when i visit shanghai for the fair.. but i would definitely cross the street for my meals

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ineedsoftbeds
Alice M, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Aneks

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the food. I have shared your comments with our Newly appointed Executive Chef coming straight from Burj Al Arab Dubai and I can assure you that he has taken them fully onboard and he will make the necessary adjustments. We do apologize for theissues in the bathroom. Of course these are points we will need to work on improving and again appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, hopefully in the very near future.

Hongkong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel! Beautiful lobby impressed me when I first entered, nice room with comfortable bed make me sleep well & health club design is very special, I like the garden! The food is nice, I like the breakfast. Shanghai Restaurant food is delicious and very traditional local cuisine. Japanese restaurant & Grill room also nice! Good service of the hotel staff! Don't want to leave...

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Happycatcat,

So glad to have read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai. Allow me to thank you for both your time and for this in depth review of our property. It is truly encouraging to know that our efforts to bring about constant improvements in our services and facilities creates a positive experience for our guests.

Sincerely
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Amazing service, nice rooms, you really want to stay in this hotel. One of the best experiences I have ever had. Just across the street there is Starbucks, and of course lots of restaurants with chinese food.
I went for the breakfast in the hotel which offers different options for western type of breakfast and asian as well.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Vintagebird,

Thank You for your post and for your high recommendation. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments the team , they will be very appreciative. Thank you once again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah Himalayas in the very near future.