“One of the best hotel stays in my last 10 years...”

The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #2 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Heide, Germany
“One of the best hotel stays in my last 10 years...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is amazing. It is simple as this.

I stayed there for one week on business early December 2013 and enjoyed a river view room on the 41st floor. The room is gorgeous with a really nice view to the river and skyscrapers, a huge bathroom, free-standing bath tube and a lot of space. TV and AC are working fine, lights are controlled with a master automation system.

As I enjoyed airport pickup I was announced five minutes before arriving into the hotel and enjoyed a very friendly greeting. My host directly brought me to my room (no check in procedure in the lobby) and my luggage was delivered shortly after.

The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff continued throughout my stay. Whenever I looked lost or around in the lobby I was approached by someone asking me if I need help or directions. The breakfast staff greeted my with my name after the second day and were looking after me. I felt like a superstar or king every single day.

Restaurants were nice and offered a vast range of interesting food. From Chinese to European, including jelly fish dishes and other more exotic things. Service was very good.

Room was surprisingly quite - not any noise from neighbours at one side, below or on top. Nothing. You sleep so much better if there is TV sound through the walls and no voices on the corridor. Perfect.

The only issue I faced during my stay was the light control stay - which controlled everything except the toilet room and the bathroom lights. Often I was asleep in my bed and had to stay up again to turn of the lights...

Apart of this, it was the most pleasant stay I have experienced in the last 10 years of business travel around the globe. For sure I will come back.

Room Tip: Ask for River view rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was quite excited about staying at this hotel until I checked in. The check in service was a disappointment because past 2pm, I would have expected my room to be ready. Instead told that it was not ready and offered me an "upgrade" to a better view room (that is a smoking room but has been cleaned out) which is supposedly as good as a non-smoking room. When i decline, I was told to wait for 10 mins for a room to be ready.

The concierge service was average. Please do not expect for an enthusiastic concierge service. I had to ask many questions to prompt the concierge for directions to places for shopping and dining. When I asked for the hotel name in Chinese (because I would need directions for the taxi driver to drive me back subsequently and it was not on the card that he had provided me), he initially insisted it was on the card without checking until I ask him to point out to me where it is on the card that he realized it was not printed on it!

The room cleaning service was prompt and above average. When i requested for toilet to be cleaned, they top up all the necessary including change of bath towels, and re-filled mineral bottle waters too. Kudos to the room service team!

The gym equipment is very decent too and very well maintained.

Breakfast variety is below average of a 5 star hotel. There were no bacon or baked beans served, which is the minimal of a breakfast served at the hotels in general. The steam prawn dumplings (ha kau) skin was too thick and dry. The miso soup tasted way below average, lack of miso taste but defintely salty. I would not recommend breakfast at the hotel if it is not part of your package stay.

I have in many hotels in Shanghai but this just does not fall within the expected standard of the Ritz-Carlton. Shangri-La which is within walking distance of this hotel maintains a more consistent standard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
tpe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the worst hotel that I've ever stayed with .. book a non smoking executive deluxe 270 degrees view suite cost more than $1200 , but when check in they offered a stinky smoking room .. finally asked them to change it but on lower floor.
Very bad service from the executive lounge .. you have to find them from the front desk …
Before left .. I purchased 2 sets of bed sets for gifts ( linen .pillow act .. ) cost like $5000 but when I got the parcels .. I was shocked .. they did not even pack it .. they just threw everything into 2 dirty messy boxes and sent it to me .. had to call them many times and they relayed to couple different persons but could not get a satisfied solution ….

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank Henry T
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

With an excellent location, this hotel has much to offer. Service is fantastic, since you get to the reception on the 52 floor until you depart. The most important thing: Rooms are absolutely well decorated, new, with a great smell, fabulous bathroom, high quality towels, the bed is fantastic and you have a great sleep after a hard day of work. The SPA is very good. Breakfast is very good as well including western and eastern selections. Had the opportunity of having dinner at the "Scena" Italian restaurant, great risotto, a good stop if you want to vary... View of the city from the restaurant and the rooms is amazing,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Ritz defines the luxury brand. I have stayed in this hotel twice now and it never disappoints.

The rooms are large and well appointed. The bed is comfortable without being overly soft. There are tons of soft towels and beautiful microfiber robes (so much better than toweling). The bathroom has every possible amenity.

The service in the hotel is excellent with the staff attending to your well being. If ever in doubt as to where something is within the hotel, the staff will not only give directions but actually accompany you to wherever you need to go.

I have eaten in three of the restaurants. The lounge on the top floor has great sushi and a wonderful view of the city. The Italian restaurant has excellent food and wine authentically prepared. The lobby lounge is a good place for a business conversation , glass of wine and light lunch.

The location in Pudong is excellent for shopping and business.

All in all one of the top hotels in Shanghai or anywhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We recently spent four nights at this hotel during a two-week trip to China and it did not disappoint. The hotel is located in the shiny new Pudong part of town, which is best described as an extensive collection of lit-up high-rises with all the modern touches of a big metropolis.

We stayed in a Deluxe Room, which is the entry-level room at this property. The room was very nicely appointed, with a very comfortable King Bed, electronic shades, and a huge bathroom with a heavenly soaking tub. The bath toiletries were Asprey as in most Ritz-Carltons in Asia and were replenished daily without exception. The room also had a nice seating area, with a couch and a work desk and chair. You can tell the hotel is fairly new as the condition of the furniture and decor was impeccable.

When we arrived, all the reception employees were busy checking in other guests. However, in less than a minute, a staff member collected us and took us to the Club Lounge to be checked in without further wait. The check-in process was quick and smooth, and we were given the exact room that we reserved, King Non-Smoking. While we were disappointed that no upgrade was provided even though I am Gold with the Ritz-Carlton Rewards program, the entry level room and view was so comfortable that it really did not matter at the end of the day.

The hotel is connected to a very nice, high-end shopping mall with practically any store and restaurant type you could desire. It is also located a very short walk to the metro station and dozens of other shops and restaurants, including a Starbucks Coffee in case you need a fix! The Oriental Pearl Tower is right near by, as are the Shanghai World Financial Center (with a fantastic view of the city from its observation floor), the Jin Mao Tower, and the in-progress Shanghai Tower (which will be the second tallest building in the world upon completion).

Finally, as a westerner, it was very nice to return to the hotel and the Pudong side of Shanghai at night and not have to run the gauntlet of folks offering up "lady massages," tea, or other assorted touristy products (which is very prevalent on The Bund and Nanjing East Street).

Overall, our stay was very nice and we would definitely consider staying here the next time we return to Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChicagoVuitton75
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for two days on business. Extremely sumptuous and well appointed, although quite expensive in comparitive terms. The location could not be better. Food was generally good (although dinner was better than breakfast, as is usually the case in the PRC). My main gripe was with the WiFi security system. Although the WiFi was free, and fast, the security system was fiendishly difficult to navigate on a PDA or iPad (although I got through on my laptop). Maybe it was just me, but I have stayed in a lot of business hotels and never had so much difficulty on other secure systems. Overall though, very pleased and would happily stay again, although probably a bit expensive if I was making a personal trip rather than a business trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business