“Excellent Skyscraper Views” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4,967 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“Excellent Skyscraper Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Breathtaking views! Although the weather wasn't too great, we could still see the skyscrapers around us. The staff was fantastic, however the room service food wasn't that great for the money. They have an outstanding bar on the top floor with even more amazing views. Location is great if you love shopping. There is a large shopping area downstairs with every kind of brand name store you can think of.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank joel h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sfakia, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for a 3 night stay and and loved it. The hotel is in a great location with excellent view of the city and harbor . Service was great on all levels and the room was amazing!! My room had excellent views of the harbor and my bathroom tub was just a perfect fit form a long days work. The only thing I would say was the food was just ok and overpriced . I would think they would have better quality food.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jake l
RCPudong, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to learn that the quality of our food has not impressed you. I really appreciate if you could contact us so that we can have more information about your disappointed experience in order to improve our shortcomings.

I was however very happy to hear that the overall experience of your stay was up to the expected luxury standards.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope having the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest regards,

Rainer Burkle
Regional Vice President & General Manager
gm.rcpudong@ritzcarlton.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

A little late to review, but we stayed here over mooncake festival as a "staycation" for our first holiday living in Shanghai. We stayed in the Carlton Suite and the view was fantastic. The staff was so good with my 3 year old and 9 month old. They all knew us by the end of our stay and both kids got two sets of parting gifts when we left. They made them feel so special. The food was good, but like all hotel food got a little old after a couple of days. It's a great location to many of the popular attractions on the Pudong side. It was just what we needed to escape our Puxi world for a few days. :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here only one night as one stop of a business trip in China, Korea and Japan. No doubt that it is a fantastic hotel, with great room, spacious, spotless clean, good equipped, adequate amenities and services, an amazing view of the city and in general a very good service. Basically what you find here is what you expect in such a hotel in a country like China, meaning, also, nice staff, full customer and service oriented, and in general a complete sense that they are there to make you feel good, almost at home. Really an overall very good experience. I also had the luck of meeting a spanish representative of the hotel (I´m a Spanish native speaker too !!!!) at the check in, who was super nice, very helpful, joined me to my room and showed me how to operate all the equipments like TV, lights, etc. Again, very nice experience.

So far so good…..and that´s why when you see all what I just described, basically the benchmark is high and there are things you would expect as given in such a high level hotel. Pure fine-tuning, maybe, but really details which make a clear difference of what I perceived during the same trip, at the Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo, where all the details are covered and the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai. Hence, this are some slightly negative points on the Ritz:

1. Bar overpriced – absolutely no common sense on the prices of the drinks at the bar. I know that hotel bars are not cheap, but in this case, was really exaggerated. The hotel rate is really high enough and there is no need to have the prices the hotel has at the bar. Really shocking. In my case, I should not care, because is not my money, is the company I work for which pays, but nevertheless, I feel bad to give my secretary a bill with USD 40 for a small vodka drink and ask for reimbursement. I feel I´m abusing.

2. Room service – after arrival went to the gym (it is very good), then a quick drink at the bank, and then, because I had to work, ordered a salmon salad to my room. Forget about the price….but the “salad” was a joke. 4 small pieces of salmon (really small) a couple of veggies and that´s it. Good presentation, and speed of service, but to offer such as a salad as main on the meny and not entrée is not correct

3. Air conditioning / heating – very noisy, impossible to sleep with it on. I had to turn the air conditioning/heating off, because the buzz was really annoying. Again, nothing critical (in winter), but something that in a such high level/high profile hotel should not happen.

No doubt that in my next trip to Shanghai will stay here again, but also it is certain that the hotel has room for some improvements if expects to play in the real premier league of hotels

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alvaro E
RCPudong, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Because our team reviews all guests feedback in an effort to improve guest stays, we are grateful for your comments.
Food & Beverage expenses in a city like Shanghai can be challenging and in order to stay competitive we carry out at least twice a year extensive price comparisons and market studies, insuring that we harmonics charges within the luxury environment. I sincerely apologize for the high rates in FLAIR.

I’m also very sorry that we have not provided acceptable sized potions during your in room dining and I am happy for your candid remarks. We have since reviewed The Room Service Menu and moved the dish highlight to the appetizer section with at least 90 grams smoked salmon.

I was most perturbed about your experiences regarding the noise of the air conditioning. This should not have happened and was a result of a malfunctioning of the unit. The system in the room has since been fixed. Further we have added this subject into the regular training of our Housekeepers and their supervisors, having the air conditioning checked each time.

I am content however that in most areas we were able to meet your expectations. You are absolutely right, we are measured on the details and please know that we are utterly committed and motivated to work on minutiae every day. I am now looking very much forward to seeing you back, hopefully in the not too distant future. Thank you very much again!

Warmest regards,

Rainer J. Burkle
Regional Vice President & General Manager
gm.rcpudong@ritzcarlton.com
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Hi stayed at the ritz carlton for 3 nights during my recent work visit. Having stayed at the shangrila last time, i decided to try the ritz this time around.

When i entered my room, the only reaction i had was WOW. When i saw the bathroom, it was DOUBLE WOW!

- the location is perfect. 5 mins walking to the malls, office area, the bund and to a metro station. 15 min walk to the puxi side nanjing road via the underground sightseeing tunnel.
- the lobby of the hotel is located on the 52nd floor of the IFC mall. Its a small lobby, nothing too grand but works.
- the rooms start from the floor below. So you dont go 'down' to the lobby, instead you go 'up'.
- i had the room 5109 overlooking the bund and it was totally awesome. Its was large, spacious, very well lit up and very stylishly decorated.
- the room had a the possible modern amenities and superb coffee in room, offering both brew and machine coffee.
- each night, the housekeeping would leave behind a chinese tea sachet to try.
- it was raining during the day and the view was covered by fog and mist outside. Almost felt like i am sailing in the clouds.
- the room had a big wardrobe and very spacious.
- the bathroom was simply outstanding. I never once shut the doors. There was a large stylish bath tub in the centre. I tried it one day and it was awesome. It had a small tv to keep you entertained with a water proof remote. The rain shower area was brilliant too!
- the breakfast was well spread out and quite good.

The only small downside was that the restaurants were just ok. Chinese restauarnt was empty and very dull while the italian was just average. But there are plenty options around the hotel and the mall, so never a problem. The shangrila btw is just opposite and with better restaurants.

This truly is THE hotel to stay in shanghai. Dont bother about the small lobby and not so grand entry. The room and the service more than make up for it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Singapore,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Had booked 2 rooms for 1 night in the River view room.

Overall, a great stay. Appreciated the quiet sound proof room and the comfortable bedding.
Great location and very convenient

Check out took very long as there was much miscommunication. When we checked in we had expressly asked for the room stays to be charged to our client's card; and we reminded the same receptionist at night. But at the check out the reception told us that there was no such instructions. I suppose I did not expect this given that it is the Ritz Carlton but it was disappointing. Thankfully the receptionist at check - out (Alyssa) was very helpful to rectify the matter.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

On a recent stop over in Shanghai I opted for the Ritz Pudong, having already done the Portman several times and other competitors I thought a change of scenery was in order.
The service, greet and amenities are everything you expect, room was a little small and room service very slow.

Probably wouldbt be back in a hurry maybe if my usual favorable one is fully booked.

Good location and views nether the less.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
RCPudong, Director of Quality at The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience here on Trip Advisor. While I am disappointed your experience fell short of expectations, I am thankful that you have shared the feedback with us as our team reviews all guest feedback in an effort to improve the guest experience. Please accept my sincere apology for the delays with Room Service, and for the inconveniences you experienced. I have addressed your concerns and can assure you of our focus to providing attentive service in all areas of our business.

I hope we get a chance to make amends and appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards