“About as good as it gets”

The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #3 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Highly recommend this hotel in Pudong facing the Huangpo River and the Bund. The staff make the visit: well presented and groomed, knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, engaged with their work, go the extra bit to make the stay just right. Rooms are functional and beautifully finished. Request the 'river-Bund' view and you will be rewarded. Access to the Bund and other Shanghai destinations by Metro, ferry, tourist tunnel and taxi is easy. The Executive Club provides easy check-in and departure and restaurant standard Asian and Western food and drinks, with consistently good coffee. It is an expensive option, but we will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: High room with views of the river and Bund is recommended. Add the Executive Club choice to maximise...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lu888ky
Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Visted Shanghai at last, this hotel is a little away from the action of Shanghai but also worth it for the oure views it has. Only down side was the long lift up to the lobby and then the other lift up to our room.

Room Tip: Worth getting the club room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bevan M
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days on business. Impressed by the Ritz culture. Check in was smooth. Room is very clean, a bit dated but no issue at all. Bed very comfortable. Breakfast with good selection though not top notch. Had lunch in the same restaurant yesterday. Food excellent. My room has a direct view of the TV tower. Awesome. Great place to stay if on business and working at Pudong.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Summer_Traveller_hk
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Breathtaking views! Although the weather wasn't too great, we could still see the skyscrapers around us. The staff was fantastic, however the room service food wasn't that great for the money. They have an outstanding bar on the top floor with even more amazing views. Location is great if you love shopping. There is a large shopping area downstairs with every kind of brand name store you can think of.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joel h
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for a 3 night stay and and loved it. The hotel is in a great location with excellent view of the city and harbor . Service was great on all levels and the room was amazing!! My room had excellent views of the harbor and my bathroom tub was just a perfect fit form a long days work. The only thing I would say was the food was just ok and overpriced . I would think they would have better quality food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jake l
RCPudong, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to leave your comment. I am very sorry to learn that the quality of our food has not impressed you. I really appreciate if you could contact us so that we can have more information about your disappointed experience in order to improve our shortcomings.

I was however very happy to hear that the overall experience of your stay was up to the expected luxury standards.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope having the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest regards,

Rainer Burkle
Regional Vice President & General Manager
gm.rcpudong@ritzcarlton.com

Reviewed 11 March 2014

A little late to review, but we stayed here over mooncake festival as a "staycation" for our first holiday living in Shanghai. We stayed in the Carlton Suite and the view was fantastic. The staff was so good with my 3 year old and 9 month old. They all knew us by the end of our stay and both kids got two sets of parting gifts when we left. They made them feel so special. The food was good, but like all hotel food got a little old after a couple of days. It's a great location to many of the popular attractions on the Pudong side. It was just what we needed to escape our Puxi world for a few days. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here only one night as one stop of a business trip in China, Korea and Japan. No doubt that it is a fantastic hotel, with great room, spacious, spotless clean, good equipped, adequate amenities and services, an amazing view of the city and in general a very good service. Basically what you find here is what you expect in such a hotel in a country like China, meaning, also, nice staff, full customer and service oriented, and in general a complete sense that they are there to make you feel good, almost at home. Really an overall very good experience. I also had the luck of meeting a spanish representative of the hotel (I´m a Spanish native speaker too !!!!) at the check in, who was super nice, very helpful, joined me to my room and showed me how to operate all the equipments like TV, lights, etc. Again, very nice experience.

So far so good…..and that´s why when you see all what I just described, basically the benchmark is high and there are things you would expect as given in such a high level hotel. Pure fine-tuning, maybe, but really details which make a clear difference of what I perceived during the same trip, at the Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo, where all the details are covered and the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai. Hence, this are some slightly negative points on the Ritz:

1. Bar overpriced – absolutely no common sense on the prices of the drinks at the bar. I know that hotel bars are not cheap, but in this case, was really exaggerated. The hotel rate is really high enough and there is no need to have the prices the hotel has at the bar. Really shocking. In my case, I should not care, because is not my money, is the company I work for which pays, but nevertheless, I feel bad to give my secretary a bill with USD 40 for a small vodka drink and ask for reimbursement. I feel I´m abusing.

2. Room service – after arrival went to the gym (it is very good), then a quick drink at the bank, and then, because I had to work, ordered a salmon salad to my room. Forget about the price….but the “salad” was a joke. 4 small pieces of salmon (really small) a couple of veggies and that´s it. Good presentation, and speed of service, but to offer such as a salad as main on the meny and not entrée is not correct

3. Air conditioning / heating – very noisy, impossible to sleep with it on. I had to turn the air conditioning/heating off, because the buzz was really annoying. Again, nothing critical (in winter), but something that in a such high level/high profile hotel should not happen.

No doubt that in my next trip to Shanghai will stay here again, but also it is certain that the hotel has room for some improvements if expects to play in the real premier league of hotels

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Alvaro E
RCPudong, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Because our team reviews all guests feedback in an effort to improve guest stays, we are grateful for your comments.
Food & Beverage expenses in a city like Shanghai can be challenging and in order to stay competitive we carry out at least twice a year extensive price comparisons and market studies, insuring that we harmonics charges within the luxury environment. I sincerely apologize for the high rates in FLAIR.

I’m also very sorry that we have not provided acceptable sized potions during your in room dining and I am happy for your candid remarks. We have since reviewed The Room Service Menu and moved the dish highlight to the appetizer section with at least 90 grams smoked salmon.

I was most perturbed about your experiences regarding the noise of the air conditioning. This should not have happened and was a result of a malfunctioning of the unit. The system in the room has since been fixed. Further we have added this subject into the regular training of our Housekeepers and their supervisors, having the air conditioning checked each time.

I am content however that in most areas we were able to meet your expectations. You are absolutely right, we are measured on the details and please know that we are utterly committed and motivated to work on minutiae every day. I am now looking very much forward to seeing you back, hopefully in the not too distant future. Thank you very much again!

Warmest regards,