“Top of the Town”

The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #2 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Shanghai Ritz Carlton begins on the 52nd floor check in and then to my my room on the 48th floor. A room with a view and then some. Great service and a wonderful gym also with a spectacular outlook. Delicious gourmet breakfast buffet included with room rate.
To catch the pristine subway just descend to the first floor lobby and out the door to the left to the super high end shopping mall and follow the signs in English.
What a great experience! First rate and unreservedly recommended.

Room Tip: Any room will do.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FREDERICK J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,732)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a hotel to recommend.

I experienced the best customer service I have ever experienced in this hotel

Not only are the views fantastic, the roof-top bar especially amazing, but these guys care. A colleague was going down the elevator, commenting about something she needed in the room, with one of the receptionists listening, and upon her return she was greeted with a present of that something!

I was attending a conference, and in the conference suite day 1 I was asked whether I wanted tea or coffee. I said a "black earl grey tea". They did not have it on the stand, and went running off to find it. They could not. Day 2, they approach me, and say "sir" we have your earl grey tea this morning.

Above and beyond. So superior service. More than platinum.

Go there! I will again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Before diving into the review, I really want to say thank you to the staff there. During my stay, I sadly caught some stomach issue due to bad food (Has nothing to do with Ritz). I was very sick, and had a fever. I contacted my emergency service provider and was advised to take some medicine. But there is no way I could get them. So I called the customer service and to my surprise, they gladly sent someone to local drug store to find my medicine. By the way, this was 6 in the morning. The guy had to try several different drug stores since most of were closed. At this point I was already very happy with their service. Later in the day, I felt even worse, and decided to see a doctor. To my surprise, again, the manager offered to send someone to accompany me to the health clinic that is a few blocks away from the hotel. When I ordered in room dining in that evening, they even sent me a card with their regards. I would have been very happy had they did any one of these things. They kept bring me pleasant surprise with their good service. In that regard, I was very satisfied with the service. And I really want to give a big thumb up to the team.

Now to the actual review. The service is top notch, enough said. Everyone was very friendly and greet me with smile. When I wanted to book their restaurants and bar, they were able to give me the seat I wanted.

The room decoration was very luxurious and impressive from the look, but is really not my style. The room size was pretty disappointing. I got a king room on their club level, there was barely any room left when I open my 28" luggage on the floor. The carpet also looked pretty dirty for the price of the hotel. The air inside the room may get smelly, my advice is to set the AC fan on High regardless of the temperature. It helps with the air ventilation a lot.

Now to the bathroom. The bath robe was made out of two layers, with a silkily finish on the outside, and some very cozy material on the inside. It was very comfortable and the best I've used in any hotel. I actually thought about bringing one home. The slipper they provided was also very high quality, it also has a silky finish. The bath scrub they provided was surprisingly comfy. Unlike the kitchen scrub kind of "sponge" provided by most of the hotels, this one is actually soft and fluffy, and does not feel like it will scrub you skin off. The shampoo also smells very good. I've heard the bath tub was made with brass, but I'm not sure how different it is from the regular one. One thing I didn't like about it was the drain plug was EXTREMELY difficult to overate. You basically need to press a button to operate it, except that the button feels rusted and doesn't want to move. The toilet was the old fashion, manual type, which is also a let down compared to the other hotels in the area.

Bedding was overall very comfortable. The thick down mattress pad they used was very soft and comfortable. So was the down comforter. The linen seems to have pretty high thread count, and feels very heavy and of high quality. It also ventilates very well. I have very good sleep despite not feeling well.

Breakfast at Scena (their italian restaurant) was very good. It had good variety and everything tasted pretty good. I would rank the breakfast over Park Hyatt. I also came here for dinner once. Renan, the Italian manager there was very friendly and attentive. He was able to get me the table with the best view, and offered me and my guest some sparkling wine while we were waiting. The food was great, and this was the first time in my life where the seafood spaghetti that I ordered came with more seafood than spaghetti. Afterwards we went to Flair, their famous rooftop bar at this hotel. Their supervisor, Daniel was able to get us an outside table despite the short notice.

Flair deserves a paragraph by itself. There was an out door section that sits on top of the 50 something floor building. The view was phenomenal. You have the pearl tower right in the front, and a complete view of the Bund. At night (on a good day of course), the view is simply amazing. I believe it was ranked top for bars with the best view, worldwide. You just have to visit Flair and sit outside if you stay at Ritz Pudong. They had some special cocktail that I really liked as well.

Ritz Pudong sit on top of the high-end shopping mall of Pudong, the IFC. You can find many of the top tier brands there. Although the price was a little ridiculous compared to the US. The location was pretty convenient for anywhere in Pudong. However, overall, pudong is kind of boring. IMO puxi (west of Huangpu River) is the goto place if you want to experience the real Shanghai, get local food and go to bars and stuff. But if you like it quiet and private, and you really like the western style, Pudong will be the place to stay.

Overall, I was very pleased with the stay. Again, thank you for all your help when I was sick.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here during the Formula 1 - We were lucky enough to spend sometime with some of teams including Red bull and Renault which were also staying here. The surrounding area is packed with great eateries including an excellent dumpling and Pizza restaurant (one of the best pizza's ive ever had) Recommend the high tea in the lobby if you have a spare afternoon.

We did have a small flood in the room due to the toilet over flowing, though the staff were quick to collect our luggage and move us to another room within 30 minutes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location, wonderful amenities with pool, exercise facilities and spa and helpful staff. rooms are very comfortable with all of the extras including wifi. Getting to your rooms with the two elevator rides was a bit inconvenient, especially with the problem electronic keys. The only other disappointment was room service, I ordered dinner on arrival my first night and it was not very good and ended up not eating most of it, secondly, upon ordering a late night snack, it was difficult to get someone on the room service number and again was a disappointment when it arrived. I would definitely stay here again as the good far overshadowed the not so good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Let's start with an orientation. This hotel looks down on the Bund, the old famous waterfront on Shanghai, but from the Pudong side of the river. It also overlooks the Oriental Pearl, also on the Pudong side. Both beautiful views. There is a luxury shopping mall right next door, IFC. The fitness center is first rate, as is the breakfast buffet. The rooms are simply sumptuous. Big bathtub, separate shower, huge bed, fluffy bathrobes. You know, the Ritz. At night, the view of the Oriental Pearl from the Flair bar is fabulous. And Sea Dong, the Assistant Manager there, is going to take care of you. All the staff service is excellent. Some negatives: you could run a country off the prices they charge for laundry, and traveling to and from the hotel is a hassle because it's on the wrong side of the river. Figure 200 RMB for a taxi ride to and from the airport. And more to get around town. And Shanghai traffic rivals Los Angeles and New York for jams. The "lobby" is on the 52 floor. So it's a two elevator ride from your room to the ground floor. I would recommend this hotel for business, or for couples on a romantic holiday. Families with young children won't find the value good, or the location convenient, unless they have a car (and why would you have a car in Shanghai?).

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Bund. Many of the rooms look away from the river. You're going to pay fo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Arrived at this hotel after a very long and tiring day and could not have expected a better reception both in terms of service and appearance of this place. Everything was very first class.

Rooms are very inviting, cosy and comfortable, yet also stylish and functional (some might say the design is somewhat ornate, but it worked for me). Very pleasant feeling upon walking into the room and staying in. Spotlessly clean and everything works well. Very helpful and efficient staff. Good breakfast at the restaurant.

Negatives? Visitors to Shanghai proper (Puxi) might balk at the Pudong location; was not a problem for me, as a short taxi/car ride downtown is quick (and I had quite a few meetings in the central area and also went sightseeing)

Kudos to the hotel staff and management for a great stay

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business