“One of the Funnest Things I've Ever Done”

Biking Trail-China Outside Adventure
Ranked #156 of 1,316 things to do in Shanghai
State College, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“One of the Funnest Things I've Ever Done”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Like the title says, this is one of the most fun I've ever had. My friend arranged everything via e-mail w/ Fiona. We stayed close to their offices, so she came and picked us up at the hotel in the morning. She brought us back to their offices, about 3 blocks away, and handed us over to William, our tour guide, but only after a few words of advice. My favorite is, "There are traffic laws in Shanghai, but no one really follows. Still, there are unwritten rules that everyone follows, and it works". She is right! Once you get used to what everyone is going to do - i.e. make right turns on red w/o stopping - you get the hand of it. The bikes were well taken care of. We wore helmets, which were also in good shape. We saw just about everything you could see in 8 hours in Shanghai. From the French Concession to the old gatehouses, to the animal markets and the ritzy Pudong district, this bike tour is an amazing way to start any vacation in Shanghai. I highly recommend it as a way to see all the major sites, and then figure out which ones you want to visit later and in more depth. Well done, Outside Adventures!!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank phyrn

Corona, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome! Not your typical tour.”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I did China Outside Adventure's Shanghai Bicycle Tour on August 9, 2011. This is one of the coolest things I have ever done on vacation! Riding a bicycle around Shanghai during the day you really get to see the entire City and to see what it might like to live there. Most tours only show you tourist spots; not the real places locals go everyday. Plus, it was very exciting to be riding a bike in such crazy traffic! Henry, my tour guide, was very informative - he knew so much about Shanghai/China. For lunch we stopped at a random neighborhood restaurant along the way and had noodle soup. It was so good and definitely not a place I would have gone to on my own. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone going to Shanghai. If you only have 1 day - do this!

Visited August 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A very good way to get an oversight and insight into the city”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My wife and I took a half-day tour on our 2nd day in the city. Lead up communication was good and the guide (William) was great, on time and friendly. Company was flexible and could work around some bad weather and jet-lag.

A tour like this gives you a great overview of the city in a short space of time and also insights from a local. You mix it up with the local traffic with means you must be on your toes - but we had no problems and it makes it authentic. The guide operates off a pre-planned schedule so make sure you specify any thing you want to see so it can be worked in. We paid 700 rmb total. Would recommend.

Visited June 2011
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“best way to see Shanghai districts”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Organised this tour for my first day in Shanghai. All contact with Fiona (Email) was helpful and friendly. She met me at my hotel as her offices were just around the corner. I chose the full day tour (approx 8 hours $110 US 1 person) It was like cycling with a good friend who knows and loves Shanghai and the best thing for me was that we covered areas I would never have been able to see by myself let alone navigate as I have no sense of direction. She was very flexible but I was more than happy to"go with the flow" Being a day before the dragon boat festival public holiday (traffic was quiet early morning) and it was a lovely way to see the French Concession area and the old city, stopping off at places that were of personal interest to me. We walked through small parks and had lunch at Fionas' favourite noodle shop and a quick tea stop after I walked around the antique market. 8 hrs may seem like a long day cycling but the time just flew! Great day, highly recommend Outside Adventures

Visited June 2011
1 Thank jhaym
Amsterdam
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Perfect”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

This is simply the best way to see Shanghai in no time. The bikes are good, the staff is great, the guides are perfect.

We did a tour of half a day ... started at 2 ... saw Mao's former house, some markets, fake antiques, and the beautiful Yu Yuang gardens and we're back at the starting point aound 6 something.

It looks dangerous to cycle in Shanghai but in the end you just have to be a bit more careful.

Visited May 2011