“Excellent trip! You should try it!”

Biking Trail-China Outside Adventure
Ranked #156 of 1,333 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I read about this tour on Trip Advisor and having previously biked around Krakow and Berlin, I thought I'd give Shanghai a try. My guide was Fiona, who was articulate, charming and very knowledgable.

Fiona took me to some of the most interesting spots in Shanghai... from old streets and markets, on a ferry, to the Financial district and it's skyscrapers and also to see a real, authentic Chinese garden.

I would not wish to spoil the itinerary by describing it in detail as I believe it should be experienced for yourself.

What I can say was that I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and it is certainly value for money. A bike tour is a great, fun, and healthy was to see a city and to get an orientation. My day flew by and I got to see Shanghai in all it's glory.

I also enjoyed the cycling. It is one of the best experiences when you see hundreds of people all moving before your eyes, and the moped/motorbikes coming off the Huangpo Ferry is a sight to behold.

If you have a day to spend in Shanghai then I would recommend this bike tour.

1  Thank Marcus9000

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We found the China Outside Adventure company organizer (Fiona) and expert guide (William) to be extremely professional and attentive to just what we were looking for in a guided tour. I've seen Shanghai attractions in the past, but the bike tour gave a different perspective to the city and I'm confident this 'adventure' will be a trip highlight we'll long remember. Biking in Shanghai is challenging due to heavily congested roads and chaotic traffic patterns. For this reason, I'd recommend the tour to adults or adults with older teenagers (16-18 years) only. That said, we never felt unsafe and were pretty amazed with how easy it was to adapt and join the chaos after only a short time on the road. Seeing the city from street level and covering many miles through real neighborhoods was fantastic and something you just won't get on point-to-point attraction tours.

I'd recommend contacting the company by e-mail 4-7 days in advance of your trip to let them know your planned timeline and to seek their guidance in helping in recommending or creating the right tour for your needs. In our case, Fiona was very responsive and put together a one-day bicycle tour plan aligned very well with what we were looking to accomplish and learn.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Was on a business trip in Shanghai and had a Sunday off. I have been to Shanghai several times on a business trip and always took a taxi to go sight seeing. Riding a bike through Shanghai is a much better experience, it's a more hands on and in your face experience.

Fiona was very helpful in setting up the tour and she even came along with us on the ride which was nice. She was very flexible with the itinerary and we even had time to for some members of our group to go and get fitted for suits. It was fun to ride the narrow streets and interesting alley ways in Shanghai, we even took a ferry across to the Pudong side.

It was great not to have to look at a map and figure out where you were going, that way you could concentrate more on sight seeing and avoid getting hit by cars, scooters and other bikers.

I highly recommend http://www.china-outside.com/

1  Thank j3ome
Reviewed 4 November 2011

First let me say, I am not an advanced cyclist, instead I am someone who tries to only bike on trails in the USA. However this sounded like a wonderful idea, so I booked the tour on my 1st full day in Sanghai. Email questions where promptly answered. The trip was FANTASTIC!!!!!.
I was so impressed, I had no idea we would actually stop and visit so many sites, not to mention the areas we rode thru. I am sure the number of stops depend on the size of the group, I felt fortunate to see so many things which I could "cross" off my list. We actually visited the site of the 1st Congress of the Communist part, Jewish refugee musuem, Confucius Temple, and a residential area of old stone gate houses. Our entrance tickets were included, a very pleasant surprise.

We rode to the Bund and walked the promenade, French Concession, Fuxing Park, Hangpu river bridge, Dongtai Lu market ( antique market), produce and wet market. I couldn't resist stopping to buy fresh fruit, which was so delicious.

My guide offered to take pictures for me, let's say I don't multi task on a bike. If you take this tour you will have a true picture of new and old Shanghai, plus memories of biking in Shanghai. I will never complain about the weight of anything I carry, or try to balance on my bike.TRAVELER55G - WILMETTE, ILLINOIS

2  Thank traveler55g
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Like the title says, this is one of the most fun I've ever had. My friend arranged everything via e-mail w/ Fiona. We stayed close to their offices, so she came and picked us up at the hotel in the morning. She brought us back to their offices, about 3 blocks away, and handed us over to William, our tour guide, but only after a few words of advice. My favorite is, "There are traffic laws in Shanghai, but no one really follows. Still, there are unwritten rules that everyone follows, and it works". She is right! Once you get used to what everyone is going to do - i.e. make right turns on red w/o stopping - you get the hand of it. The bikes were well taken care of. We wore helmets, which were also in good shape. We saw just about everything you could see in 8 hours in Shanghai. From the French Concession to the old gatehouses, to the animal markets and the ritzy Pudong district, this bike tour is an amazing way to start any vacation in Shanghai. I highly recommend it as a way to see all the major sites, and then figure out which ones you want to visit later and in more depth. Well done, Outside Adventures!!

1  Thank phyrn