Stayed in this hotel for 3 days in mid June 2010. We are traveling in a group and got ourselves 5 rooms. To save time, i will go thru the positives and negatives of this hotel.
1. AC is not cold at all. I set the AC all the way to 5 Centigrade (yes, the AC panel goes all the way to 5 Degree, i have no idea how cold would that be). But the room temperature stays at 26 Deg. The room was too hot and my kids were already complaining about it. So we asked the staff to fix it but after 30 minutes they could not do it. So we had to pack everything (we have already unpacked and with 2 toddlers, you know how complicated that could be). The front desk suggested that they put a fan in our room (WTF??) or they open the window for us (nice huh, with 2 children in a 30th floor room). The front desk staff did not seem to care at all. The excuse they gave us is that, Shanghai weather has been exceptionally hot. Gimme a break. I live in Jakarta where it is much hotter than Shanghai and my AC works just fine day in and day out. Then i found out that the other on the same floor also had the same problem. The funny thing is, i found out the next day that another guest in the same floor (who is also from my group) was bumped into a suite room while i only got a standard room. Now where is the Marriott standard of service?
2. Breakfast was ridiculously bad. Pancakes were crispy. Waffle was always dark and overcooked. Muffin was underproofed. They constantly ran out of milk. And worst of all, the cereals were soggy. I had to complain to them and they had to replace 3 large bowls of them. The breakfast menu was the same every single day without any variations at all. One of the worst breakfast in a 5 star hotel. We just stayed the day before at the Wyndham Garden Hotel Hangzhou. What a difference in terms of breakfast selections and food quality. In fact, we constantly saw the executive chef (a caucasian) in the Wyndham Garden Hotel checking the food quality in the breakfast.
The expat manager at the Marriott Changfeng Park was not friendly and didnt even show that they care at all. Very bad service.
3. Overall service was very poor. Compared to the Wyndham Garden in Hangzhou which i stayed in before the Marriott, the Wyndham Garden is clearly head and shoulder above the Marriott in terms of quality of service.
4. Room service menu was very limited and poor. The terriyaki sirloin steak ended up like beef jerky (hard and chewy) and there is no terriyaki sauce at all (but they called it terriyaki steak). Very poor quality of food. But i guess it is consistent with the breakfast quality there. It appears that the hotel management does not pay good attention to their food quality for some reasons.
1. Not too many of them here. The location is in the middle of nowhere. Its not as crowded which is good but to get to the city, you have to take a 30-40 min taxi ride which ended up being a major hassle for us.
2. Hotel is new, so the room is quite nice and clean. But room layout is rather strange as the TV is on the side of the room, so we have to slightly sit an angle to watch TV. Very strange indeed. Room is rather spacious and quite modern with automatic drape/curtain. Room quality is typical of the newer Marriott hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park is located at the Changfeng Ecology Commercial District in west Shanghai, facing the picturesque Changfeng Park and Suzhou River. It is well positioned, neighboring the Shanghai Convention & Exhibition Center of International Sourcing and the internationally renowned National Exhibition and Convention Center (NECC). The hotel is also adjacent to Changfeng Parkside Plaza, one of the largest shopping malls in west Shanghai. The hotel is easily accessible, located just a 15-minute drive from the Hongqiao Integrated Transportation Hub, which houses the Hongqiao International Airport, Hongqiao Railway Station and Bus Station. The property's 501 spacious guestrooms boast scenic views of either the Changfeng Park or Suzhou Creek. Each guestroom features a full array of modern amenities such as a full-size executive writing desk, flat-screen TV, JW Marriott's plush signature bedding and signature bath amenity line from partner Aromatherapy Associates. The JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park has six world-class restaurants including the newly renovated Park Cafe, Sakitori and The Lobby Lounge, providing versatile and unique culinary experiences. Park Cafe is an enticing all-day dining restaurant that features healthy and delicious international cuisine. Japanese restaurant Sakitori offers authentic fare prepared by Japanese native chefs while The Lobby Lounge brings classic high tea experience and a treat of stylish delicacies. Upscale Chinese restaurant Pearl offers authentic Cantonese and local Shanghai cuisine while DOME Steak and Wine brings quality steaks that will rival the best in town. Finally Panorama Bar, located at the top floor, offers a wide selection of wines, whisky and cigars. The hotel offers more than 1,500 square meters of multi-function event space featuring the state-of-the-art technologies and facilities. Venues include a 770-square meter Grand Ballroom and 13 individual function rooms equipped with wireless high-speed internet access and an LED wall. In addition, the hotel boasts a versatile area that can be turned into an assembly point for MICE guests, group check-in desk, or even a venue for coffee breaks and cocktail receptions, providing great flexibility for guests. The hotel's "Quan" Spa offers Asian, Mediterranean and western spa treatments. Other facilities include an indoor swimming pool, as well as a health club with a comprehensive fitness center, sauna, Jacuzzi and steam bath facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.