“I like the hotel but ...”
Review of Le Sun Chine

Le Sun Chine
Ranked #774 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 April 2013

stay for two days at the hotel. can feel they are trying very hard but it's just not enough. I pay for RMB3000+15% a night with breakfast. Breakfast was really good, you can choose for western or chinese style and they serve to your room. Staff are friendly and nice but you don't really see them often because this is a comperatively small hotel with only below 20 rooms.

the buidling and room are really nice. Internet is free. check in/out are quick.
BUt just one thing, after i check out and was waiting for the taxi to the airport. Hotel manager suddenly stopped me in front of the Taxi and asked me to pay for the broken clock in the room. I am ok to pay for it because is quite cheap but just think it's totally unnecessary because the clock is only RMB40. Di they really need to stop the customer and ask them to pay for RMB40 when they aldy pay for the room with RMB3000 a night? i don't get it.The last part just ruinned the good experience i had here. They tried so hard so no idea why they let this happen.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SeanAndIanAtTaipei
LeSunChine, Customer Service Supervisor at Le Sun Chine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear sj2000_10,

I would like to thank for spending time on providing your feedback. And I apologize for the delayed reply. Just one thing, we would like to give the explanation. Actually, the one who stopped you is not our hotel manager but an innkeeper. While even so, it still shows that our problems. Actually, our management had reviewed this case and sincerely invite you back to have one-night complimentary stay in our hotel.

Thanks again for your feedback. And please give us a chance to provide you a better experience.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back so that we could have the pleasure of showing you our improvement.

There are newer reviews for Le Sun Chine

Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel, part of the Relais & Chateaux chain, was a jewel. We arrived from a stay at the Ritz-Carlton Portman which was wonderful but was such a 5 star chain kind of accommodation. The Le Sun Chine is all individually decorated rooms with wonderfully welcoming attention. We arrived around 11 a.m. (it is a little difficult to find and were glad we had a Chinese acquaintance with us to help the taxi driver) which we feared was too early but we were met immediately by the manager and were quickly and efficiently checked in and shown to our room 405 on the 4th floor. We were upgraded from a regular room to a deluxe room and what a treat! The bed was comfortable and the linens were luxurious. The room was huge with a dining table (where breakfast was served), a living area with sofa, flat screen TV and old-fashioned Victrola, an enormous bathroom with glass doors, and everything was spotless. My husband had gotten ill while we were on a land/cruise tour of China and ended up spending the day in the hotel while I toured Shanghai with an acquaintance. He was able to order a very nice lunch so that he didn't have to leave the hotel. When we returned from dinner at M on the Bund (ok) I didn't want to stay in the room listening to my poor husband coughing and went to the lounge to get a glass of wine (I ended up not staying in the lounge as there was the smell of cigarette smoke in the air which is frequently encountered in China). The bar manager (Jackie I think is his name and supposed to be renowned in China) offered me a glass of rioja from Spain but found they had sold the last and so offered me a glass of Bordeaux for $10--I was getting plonk for $10 in the 5* hotels! it was excellent. He was teaching a few young men to make cocktails and wanted me to sample their wares but I declined.

Only two problems I encountered were the above-mentioned smoke in the lounge and a snafu at breakfast. There was one menu and it asked for the number of people in the room. I assumed this would get us breakfast for 2. However, when breakfast arrived on time the next morning we received a lovely breakfast for 1. I called down and they said they could get us a second breakfast in 1/2 hour. So I ate the pastries (great pain au chocolat--as good as any I have had in France) and we split the coffee while my husband ate the hot offering. Then at 8:30 my hot food arrived and we split that coffee and I ate my hot food. Kind of a disjointed breakfast but it did work. My four circle evaluation of service reflects this otherwise all other service was 5 star quality! Unfortunately we had to check out that morning for a business trip to Ningbo but would have gladly stayed here another night given that these small issues were not deal breakers by any means! We had a peaceful night's sleep in our lovely room looking out on a Chinese neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
LeSunChine, Customer Service Supervisor at Le Sun Chine, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write your review. I am glad you had a great stay. Thank you for noticing the smell of the lounge and the snafu of breakfast, it will help us to improve the service and I assure you that everything will be perfect during your next stay.
Please keep us in mind for your next trip to Shanghai. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed at Le Sun chine for two nights on March 28 and 29, 2013 and we were pleasantly surprised by this small (just 17 rooms) luxury hotel where every detail counts to make you feel unique. Being accustomed to Swiss high standards we were pleased from the spacious mini suites "old style" appointed but most important from the kindness and the willingness of the personnel to please us and to cater to our requests. Having read some previous contributors' mixed comments we did not know what to expect but then based on our past very good experiences with other "Relais & Chateaux" member hotels we ended up with a delightful stay. Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to please us. We were particularly delighted by the attention brought from the manager and Lilly who both spoke very good English and also from the French assistant Camille. Prices may be expensive but they are worth every bit of them. Sole exception the restaurant with expensive set menus and thus not flexible to cater to individual tastes and needs. On the down side is a relatively remote location but again at an average taxi rate of 27 RNB you are easily and quickly in town. Also furniture is of exclusive polished wood and Connely British leather but somehow too dark for our taste. Litterally one of the best hotels I have ever been to. When back in Shanghai I now know where to go . Strongly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Le Sun C, Guest Relations Manager at Le Sun Chine, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and encouraging comments. We are happy you had such a great experience with us at Le Sun Chine Relais & Chateaux.

We are truly honored that we have been able to fulfill Swiss standards. Our aim is to deliver the best possible service to our guests and making them feel unique is an essential element of our philosophy.

The staff will be very pleased with your feedback. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to have you back very soon in order to discover our SPA and swimming-pool.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2013

This is a mixed feeling of staying with Le Sun Chine.
Location could be difficult for most of the tourist new to the city. However, once you get acquainted with the district, it may only take you a 15mins comfortable walk to either one of the two nearby metro stations and the city is within your easy reach.
Immediate surrounding is not as beautiful as imagine. Whilst the property itself is a historical building, it’s surrounded by some worn-down old residential houses, a high rise new hotel and the worst a construction site.
The guest room is decorated in a tasteful old Shanghai style with the modern facilities to suit travelers needs. The bed and shower are comfortable enough to provide us a good rest. The only comment is that the ceiling is not high enough to give the luxury ambience, which is common for renovated old buildings to give rooms for building facilities to run through above the ceiling. The furniture, e.g. sofa is not well maintained with stain on it.
Service is average. On the second morning at 9am, we were awaken by a knock on the door. Whilst we tried to grasp our coat to answer the knock, to our great surprise the person tried to force open the door but failed for we have add the security lock. The person in fact was one of the house keeper who tried to ask us whether we’d like to have breakfast. In fact, our breakfast order (to be delivered at 10am) had left with the front desk the night before. Just wonder why the house keeper did not simply make a phone call to ask for our order if he has not received such from the front desk?
The bar is very smoky with quite a lot of chic young adult staying for a drink.
The restaurant is a place we’d not bother to try again. It’s a set menu and the dishes served are not impressive. We had a much better quality meal with the same price given in some neighborhood restaurants.
The spa needs a week reservation and this is not for us tourist who stay for a few days only. The gym room and indoor pool do not look attractive, so we choose to skip.
I’m not sure if I’ll choose to stay in this hotel again. It seems to me that the intention of this hotel is to provide a high end luxury experience, but the intention of such is not well delivered with the current management style.

Room Tip: We stay in HaiGa 5, which is on the 3rd floor. Viewing an old residential house is nothing spectacu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bessiecow
Le Sun C, Guest Relations Manager at Le Sun Chine, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at Le Sun Chine Relais & Chateaux.
I am pleased to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us.

I am however extremely sorry and disturbed to hear about the accident which occurred on that morning. It was obviously not wanted.
We will continue to review our service standards and training initiatives in order to deliver the highest level of service to our guests at all times.

Since your comment has been posted we have made sure to take into consideration all the reservation for the spa from guest staying in our hotel firstly.

Once again our thank you for reflecting on your stay at Le Sun Chine and we hope to be able to welcome you back one day in the near future for a perfect stay.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I have to agree with all other reviewers that this place is really charming and classic. If you want to experience Shanghainese living in old times, this is definitiely the place. All the places are decorated with classic Shanghai decor in very much detail. No wonder it's part of Relais & Chateaux hotels. Our room is Deluxe Sun Suite no 302 with separate living room and bedroom. Everything in the room is old style, the sofa, the table, and the bathroom. The service is also excellent as every one will serve you warm and nice. The food is also tasty, we ordered fried rice and noodle. The only disappointment I had during our stay is the fatal error made by front desk staff to give us Deluxe Sun Suite while our reservation is higher type of room, Premier Lilac Suite. I didn't realize it after I checked out because I saw in their room list in the front desk that our room 302 is Deluxe Sun which is lower than Premier Lilac. In fact, I have made the reservation 6 months before and when I checked in there is wedding party held in the hotel and I guess some of the guests stayed in the hotel. I wish I could give five ratings but it should good enough for me to give three rating.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the room is right for you.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
JeromeDELIENS, Manager at Le Sun Chine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your experience at Le Sun Chine.

I am very happy to read your comments on your recent stay with us.

I am however extremely sorry and disturbed to note your dissatisfaction in the unfortunate mistake of your room assignment.

I find that the experience your were put through was obviously intolerable.

Please rest assured that I will be addressing these points with the utmost seriousness and concern.

As a gesture of apology, I would be delighted to invite you to stay with us again.

To prove to you that we take your experience seriously, we have sent you an invitation to your email.

Once again our thank you for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back one day in the near future.

Jerome D.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

The whole place is beautiful with the classic old Shanghai style. It’s like a time machine which brought you back to the 1920s’. I spent my birthday in Le Sun Chine with a wonderful experience. The reception was warm and sweet, especially when they brought out the special cake they make for me.
Then in the evening, I enjoyed Champagne and cake in hotel’s bar Salon de Salon. The Manager Jackie is absolutely a highlight, who is funny, guest-oriented and makes excellent cocktails. The SPA was big on 2nd floor, but don’t know why there is no staff on the first floor, so it’s kind of confusing if you are first time here. However, the SPA room is actually bigger than I expected, as beautiful as the rooms. Therapists are professional with good service.
Of course, my favourite is the room, art-deco furniture, wooden floor, English wallpaper, old style bath tub, phonograph… you really would feel you have crossed to 1920. The equipments seems all fine except the electricity in bathroom got a bit problem.
Last but not least, you have to love the boutique hotel for their in-room breakfast, you don’t have to dress up, make up and sitting in the restaurant to enjoy breakfast. No matter in bed, in couch or in balcony, all about your feeling for the start of the day.
I believe this is the place everyone would love to come back. And the one of the few peaceful and relaxing places you can find in Shanghai.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We spent four nights in this exquisite hotel and felt like honoured guests.
The suites were beautiful and the service was outstanding. The bar was an ideal setting for a drink and Jackie arranged for a delicious casual lunch one afternoon.
The room service breakfasts were superb and a great way to start the day.
We felt like we had gone back in time to a magical era.
Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple