“They try... but fall short when it matters”

Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Ranked #23 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong
“They try... but fall short when it matters”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The purpose of this trip to Shanghai is to bring our 5 month old to see some friends who live in Putuo. Naturally, I try to look for a hotel that is near them and because of the baby's needs, I prefer spaciousness over luxury. Based on the high ranking on Tripadsvisor and the half price promotion of club level suite on Renaissance site, we booked into this particular hotel. We stayed here for 7 nights and I try to give a candid review to help fellow travellers.

The Room
We have a one bedroom suite with a separate living room and a guest bathroom. It is a good size room with nice enough furniture. I'd say it is a 4/5 star level. We needed to space with the spread one would expect with travelling with a baby. The room is on the club lounge level and we have free access to the lounge all day. They serve breakfast and snacks throughout the day so it is really convenient to walk across the hall to get a coke or water etc. Also, this is more of a group tour hotel so at club level suites there are less customers and we enjoy the peace and quiet associated with it.

The Location
We choose the location because I thought it would be near the friends we want to visit. However, the area the hotel is in is near the wholesale fish and fruit market. It is inconvenient when travelling by car to travel to other parts of the city. So unless you use the subway all the time, you would better of be staying somewhere else.

The Breakfast
The food is mediocre at best in both the club lounge and the main cafe. If you are used to 5-star hotels then this will not impress.

The Service
This is when this hotel fall way short. There is an incidence when we requested a baby cot way in advance and they provided a travel cot without the bassinet. The result is they expect the baby to sleep on a hard cardboard without padding and right off the floor. On complaining, they said this was how they provide to all customers which we highly doubted. Since it was late at night, I suggest they give us a rollaway bed instead. I ended up in the rollaway and baby slept dangerously on the queen bed with my wife!! The night manager said they would not charge me for the rollaway as if he was doing us a favor! They next day they miraculously found the bassinet and padded the bed. However, they cot itself is so used and battered that it wobbles so it makes it dangerous for the baby to sleep in. We did not want to move hotel because we have already spread out all the stuff and did not want to re-pack everyting. The solution? We went to the nearest Mothercare and bought a travel cot.

Even with this commotion, the hotel staff was always polite. The managers we dealt with was sympathetic and apologetic. However, they could not do anything to solve the problem. It is a matter of "they don't know what they don't know". It also seems that the managers do not have authority to buy a new cot even though my wife found out that the cot they provided was a rib-off of a US brand and costs US$50 on the internet.

The rest of the stay was uneventful... if you come to be accustomed to the lack of training of restaurant staff etc in China. At checkout, the bellboy took a long time to come for our luggage. I proceed to carry our bags to the lobby. I ended up having 3 managers helping me with the bags. The bellboy eventually showed up and said he was busy somewhere else. It was all quite funny.

My opinion
Unless you absolutely have to be in this area or you do not mind to take subway all the time, there are better choices around town for the price. The service is bare minumum and English level is definitely not high. Breakfast is edible but that's all.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BacchusHK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Hadn't ever been to Shanghai before so wasn't sure of what location to stay in. The hotel isn't right in the centre but only a 20 minute / £4 taxi to The Bund etc. The service in this hotel is great, Chinese taxi drivers don't speak any English so the reception were very helpful in translating & helping us get where we wanted to go. We stayed in a basic room which was still above average, perfectly clean with the best shower and comfiest beds. The pool & jacuzzi/gym facilities are also great.

The hotel also has free wifi in rooms and all over the hotel (something most hotels over-charge you for!)

I would always recommend this hotel to couples, business travellers and anyone else.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I love this hotel. I've stayed there many times during my work trips to Shanghai. The rooms are spacious, clean and I love the movable bathroom walls.
Service is perfect and breakfast is awesome. The gym is good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
JAKARTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I found out that this hotel is just 2 subway stop from my office and decided to try, especially with the attractive room rate. It's technically a 5-star hotel but Renaissance is a brand that is positioned among the mid tier of Marriot group, in others words “budget luxury”.

Arrival

As usual, I booked a car limo, was greeted by the airport attendant and escorted to my ride. The car is a rather run down Audio A6 and I can smell smoke in it. Still the ride is tolerable if not most comfortable. On arrival, check-in was swift at the check-in counter since I am the only one, and a bell boy escorted me to my room.

The Club Suite

I booked a club suite which is rather spacious. Finishing and decoration are plain and functional much like a service apartment but materials used are of good quality nevertheless. There’s a nice en-suite bathroom with a deep soaking tub and a perfectly adequate rainshower cubicle with good water pressure. There’s a spacious living room, two flat screen televisions and a comfortable large king size bed. I am surprise to find nice extras like automated curtains, iPod docks and a large Safe as standard. There were no welcome amenities or personalized greeting letter, and none were expected by this writer anyway. The aircon works well and wifi is smooth and easy to access. The hotel face residential areas of Shanghai and don’t have much of a view to speak of.

The common areas and location

For a lower tier hotel, the Renaissance Putuo is reasonably well equipped. There’s a choice of 3 restaurants, a club lounge, spacious gym, a swimming pool and even a Spa. Food at the Chinese restaurant is very reasonable price and decoration is cozy, where I entertain and meet most of my business guests. The club lounge is spacious with lots of seating and food serving is very generous and of good variety. They even serve freshly squeezed orange juice and a variety of coffee and tea along with tasty tibits and desserts. The buffet breakfast at the Café is disappointing though with only the bare essentials. Gym has modern equipment threadmill and other equipments.

The hotel is located a bit off the beaten track. There is a shopping mall with a good selection of restaurants connected to the hotel and the Subway is directly accessible at the basement, making it great to explore Shanghai. But be warned that the subway is jam-packed every working day at Peak hours. Otherwise, the location is remote and there is nothing much of interest. Most tourist attraction is at least 30 mins train ride from the hotel.

Service is OK, but not much else. Staff are polite but they mostly do as they are told and the bare minimum. That’s where the different with higher tier hotels becomes obvious. For example, staff at Club Lounge do not refill drinks. I tried to order room service a late night snack but was told I have to wait for 45 mins as this is their "standard waiting time", rather unbelievable. Bellboys will stand around and not help with luggage unless told to etc..

Housekeeping is excellent and I find my suite very clean after return each day.

Conclusion

The hotel is good value for budget business trip stay as long as one is not too demanding. It manages to offer a very competitive rate with extras here and there. Service can certainly be polished further but I am not expecting pampering and attentive service at this level. They get the job done and that is good enough for me. I will recommend this hotel for business travellers and will recommend to add club lounge access. 4 out of 5

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BENLEE123
Nanjing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I like the hotel and it should be 4 stars if not higher. The staff is friendly. But I had dinner at the Chinese restaurant and it charged 50 RMB for a local beer plus !! 7 RMB service charge for it. I really think this is a rip off and therefore I only give 2 stars. The food was served without service charge but the bottle of beer not. 57 RMB are 11.5 SGD or over 9 USD. This is just over the top at this location and hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Christof_and_Talita
Madeira
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is very elegant and at the same time charming. The rooms are spacious and warm, all the hotel looks very new and fells modern. Breakfast is very couplet and filled with continental goodies and interesting choices for Chinese food also. I specially enjoyed the fresh salmon, fresh fruit and the nice detail of lots of varieties of yogurts.

I recommend this hotel since it is situated in a quiet and nice place, and it is worth the money you have to pay to stay in it.
Always ask to stay in the upper rooms, since the views are much better

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonireis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 weeks on business, this hotel was one of the nicest experiences I have had. Clean, modern and comfortable rooms with everything I need. Iron and board, umbrella, desk with built in power with multi international plug ports, decent English TV channels, even a breathing mask to escape smoke, nice touch. The WiFi was outstanding, my phone's WiFi would connect as soon as I entered the lobby and worked flawlessly everywhere, lobby, lounge, restaurants, rooms, with no slowdowns. My colleague streamed the hockey playoffs on his I pad at breakfast one morning. The included breakfast was pretty good, a very decent selection, better than average. The dinner buffet was really my only disappointment, but I did not try the other two restaurants. However the lounge area offered full menu and service and was good food, and a comfortable place to do some work over dinner or just relax, had dinner there several nights. Well equipped gym with modern machines in good condition, no waiting. I had a peek at the pool and hot tub area, looked nice but was too busy to try them. Another great feature was the subway station right in the lower level. Although the hotel staff is diligent about getting taxis for you, we ended up taking the subway frequently for work and shopping half the time to avoid the traffic and smog. The subway has full English too, so it was quite easy to get around the city if you are not shy about squeezing in on some lines. This was my fourth trip to Shanghai and best stay I have had.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business