“Great Price, Average Service, Terrible Location”

Shanghai SOHO International Youth Hostel
Ranked #33 of 318 Speciality Lodging in Shanghai
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Great Price, Average Service, Terrible Location”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed at the Shanghai SOHO International Youth Hostel during a long weekend visit to Shanghai. I live in Beijing and was visiting a friend. Because I was on a budget I decided to stay at the hostel because it was the lowest price for what seemed like the best location and service. The service was average. They were all very friendly and willing to help me whenever I needed it, but they really struggled at giving directions. This doesn't seem like a big issue, but getting to the hostel is extremely difficult. No taxi driver knows where to go and what you can't see from any map is that the hostel is located on a street where cars are not allowed to drive. I speak conversational Chinese, but could not understand why the taxi driver was having such a hard time finding it. Eventually when I got out of the cab and was told to walk it took me about ten minutes to find the entrance down an alley way. Basically, the location is terrible and no where near any good areas and about a ten minute walk to the subway. The friend I was meeting up with in Shanghai called the hotel multiple times asking where to go and how to find the hotel and said they were absolutely no help. We also tried to ask again when we were leaving the hostel and they handed us a card, but no easy instructions. So the location is terrible and the staff don't make it any better. However, the staff was helpful in looking up train times for me and letting me use their cellular phones. They also switched me to a new, upgraded room for no fee- but only because there were rats in the ceiling of my first room (I heard them crawling around for about an hour at 6am and the hotel staff came to our door around 9am to switch us because of an "issue" with our room).

Other than the location and apparent rat problem the hostel was decently clean and not a bad spot to stay if you just need a place to crash at night. All in all, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window- it is worth the money
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed here just 2 weeks ago with my partner and 9 mth old baby and we were very impressed with what we received for our money.
We were a little disappointed that our room was given away to another traveller as a flight delay caused us to be later than we expected to check in but we got it back the next night. Also, we had misplaced Travellers Cheques in transit and the staff were VERY helpful in trying to assist us and genuine with their concern. They even gave us their own mobile phones to use when the number we needed to call was not connecting through the main line (it didn't work for the mobile either so it was a dodgy number).
The staff all spoke excellent English and were always helpful with our questions. They booked all of our train tickets for our onward journey for a very small fee (10 Yuan/ticket which is a fraction of the online services). The atmosphere was great and probably the best of our accommodation experiences in China. The water was always hot and the heater was overwhelmingly effective. The rooms were clean but not serviced as well as they could have been. But I feel confident that if it had really bothered me, I could have said something and known it would have been attended to. The wifi was a decent speed and available from rooms. Also worth noting is the very reasonably priced washing and drying facilities (some of the other places we've stayed have seemed to make up for their cheap room prices with the cost of a load of washing).
The location is great for the price. We caught a taxi from the airport the first night because it was very late but it's easy to find from the metro too. A supermarket is just 5 mins down the road and has a decent selection of goods (and not at tourist prices) and street food is everywhere around. The tai chi in the park next door is a great sight to see in the morning if you're up early enough. Also check out the food market a few blocks south!
If I ever come to Shanghai again, I'm definately booking in here.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the corridoor to avoid noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JanaG17
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

So, after reading the most recent reviews we were a little skeptical. Admittedly, if you don't take the subway then the place can be difficult to find. My advice to that is to just take the subway. It's RMB3, so cheap as chips! However, once we got there we loved the place. All bad reviews need to realize that your paying cheap money to stay in a youth hostel, so complaining about noise is just stupid. Of course there's going to e noise at all hours. I you don't like it, then stay in a hotel, not a youth hostel. The rooms are spacious with wifi in them. The bar is amazing and does great meals and has a great vibe all the time. We stayed in a private room so we had a heap of free movies to choose from as well! The staff pretty much all speak English and are extremely helpful! And the location is great! Subway is nearby if anything is too far away! Overall, we absolutely loved it and will definitely recommend it to anybody going to shanghai.

• Stayed January 2013
Shaoxing, CN
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed at this hostel over a year ago. Its okay apart from the loud music at 6 am every morning coming from the old people doing tai chi nearby. Also nobody spoke English, but luckily I had my Chinese girlfriend with me. Lately I've been receiving emails from them filled with propaganda about the Diaoyu/Senkaku islands:

"Diaoyu Island is belong to China!!!
Shanghai Soho Hostel will always defend sovereignty !"

It seems this hostel only wants Chinese guests because they are using Communist propaganda as a marketing tactic. Foreigners living in China like myself find this very off putting. I will never ever stay there again and I will advise everyone I know never to stay there as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed here for two nights while in Shanghai. There were some really cool things about the hostel, as well as some stuff that could change. To start with the bad...the room. Although I just needed a place to crash after a long party session, I had to wear sandals in the room because there was a plumbing problem and the floor was soaked. The room also smelled kind of funky, probably also due to the plumbing problem, and looked like it had been decorated by someone's grandma. Aside from the room everything else was pretty cool. The crowd there was the usual hostel crowd, young and looking to have fun. The staff was pretty helpful, and had someone who spoke English at the desk most of the day. The bar is great, cheap beer and food. The bartender at the time was super sweet, and showed me around Shanghai in the morning. All together, I'd stay here again. The price is decent if you're like me, and you just need a place to sleep of the night (or morning) before you go out again. Hopefully, by the time you stay there the plumbing is all fixed. Oh, location isn't too bad either. I'd say its about a fifteen or twenty minute walk to the People's Square.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kse1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

First of all the hostel is very difficult to find. We wondered around for ages trying to find it and no one speaks English so you can't get any directions. Had to phone the hostel and took ages to try and figure out which way to go because of the language barrier. If you do decide to stay (i wouldn't recommend) then come out of the subway as the instructions state, turn left, cross at the second set of lights so that you're standing outside of a wedding shop, follow the road round to the coffee shop and walk straight along for a bit till you see the hostel on your left. It's on a bit of a dodgy road. On first appearance the room looked fine albeit a bit dark. On closer inspection, we saw there were spiders and cobwebs literally all over the walls. I had to kill 4 spiders before my sister would stay in the room. There was a really big one behind the door which left a big mark on the wall which is probably still there. I think that's why the walls are painted deep purple so you don't see but literally there were cobwebs all over the place. I had to take a towel and run it along the walls to get rid of them. The cleaners don't seem to clean, they come in and empty the bin and remove towels and that's it. Hence the poor cleanliness of the rooms. I mean it's not hard to swipe a duster over the walls now and again. The bed was like a brick but that seems to be the norm in China. The next thing that hits you is the smell. The ensuite is absolutely stinkin it really is. Couldn't use the shower at all so may as well have slept in a dorm room. Went to the supermarket and bought a room spray and room scent (which may also still be there) but made no difference. There were also ants in the bathroom, probably because the hostel keeps the outside doors open all the time, meaning anything can wonder in. There were also stray cats wondering about. Couldn't get any sleep for the smell, spiders, hard bed. Ended up sleeping fully clothed on top of bed sheets with our trousers tucked into our socks in case any spiders and checked out early. Common areas are the only plus. I would never stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FmM_21
shanghai
Reviewed 12 August 2012

we were there last month, we booked for three nights, only to find that, on the first floor, is really damp, they have a bar in the hostel, which means, it could be noisy if your room is near the bar, decoration is good, looks like a typical building in Shanghai old city

Room Tip: beaware that most of the room are without windows, mean, window for sunshine, not to the indoor
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple