“This is a mediocre hostel in Shanghai with an okay location”

Shanghai SOHO International Youth Hostel
Ranked #30 of 294 Speciality Lodging in Shanghai
Frankfurt, Germany
“This is a mediocre hostel in Shanghai with an okay location”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Pros of this hostel are Wifi everywhere with an okay speed, lots of common space and reasonable prices.

Cons are a lack of atmosphere and lots of noise. For example they let new guest enter the room at 9 am to leave their stuff, so you can't sleep much longer.

1 Thank Weltlebender

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 12 January 2014

It's a nice place with reasonable price, near the subway, just 1-2 stops to the main places of Shanghai
Staffs speak English & helpful. The guy helped to call taxi for us & also wake up us in early morning. They also adjusted the temporary when we felt cold.
I like this place

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Didn't enjoy staying here, When we got to our room the floor was soaking wet so we asked to change rooms but the next one they showed us was even worse.
Location is a bit out of the way, first time it took a little while to find our way out of there.
Main problem i had with this place was the staff, i asked to book another night and was told they were fully booked so it wasn't possible, i didn't believe them so i checked online 2mins later and there were many vacancies so i booked it online.
Not good!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoddersGlobetrotter
Brest, France
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have stayed in this hostel during 4 nights. Staff is really nice, dorms are ok, and it is definitely really well situated. Really near from the metro station and then just one station to People's square.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Clean hostel. Staff ok. Room was nice. No window, so felt quite confined. But was able to sleep through in the mornings as it remained dark. Breakfast in the morning is thrown together by some of the guys working there.

The place was over-run with Chinese tourists. Which is cool. But it wasn't a place to meet other travellers. I moved hostel prematurely as it was a pretty boring place to stay.

It is walking distance to nanjing road. But over all, I thought the location was poor. Even from the subway it was a bit of an inconvenient walk.

I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 22 July 2013

What does it take to get hired here? Go check for yourself. The "hardworking" staff can usually be found in what has recently become an over priced bar playing on a broken pool table or socializing amongst themselves in the various hideouts at SOHO. You will notice that except for maybe two staff members who will be leaving this hostel soon, none of them socialize or tend to the needs of their foreign guests. For the most part they can hardly speak English in the bar nor do they make an effort to. This may change soon because you'll find most of these guys don't give this job more than two weeks before quitting.
I stayed here for several months because sadly this is one of the most honest businesses I could find in Shanghai. Decent prices for long term stayers (that will change very soon), and a nice place to meet girls. If you don't mind service with a bad attitude, your room rarely being cleaned or the occasional item of clothing going missing, this is the place for you long term stayers...

• Stayed July 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed at the Shanghai SOHO International Youth Hostel during a long weekend visit to Shanghai. I live in Beijing and was visiting a friend. Because I was on a budget I decided to stay at the hostel because it was the lowest price for what seemed like the best location and service. The service was average. They were all very friendly and willing to help me whenever I needed it, but they really struggled at giving directions. This doesn't seem like a big issue, but getting to the hostel is extremely difficult. No taxi driver knows where to go and what you can't see from any map is that the hostel is located on a street where cars are not allowed to drive. I speak conversational Chinese, but could not understand why the taxi driver was having such a hard time finding it. Eventually when I got out of the cab and was told to walk it took me about ten minutes to find the entrance down an alley way. Basically, the location is terrible and no where near any good areas and about a ten minute walk to the subway. The friend I was meeting up with in Shanghai called the hotel multiple times asking where to go and how to find the hotel and said they were absolutely no help. We also tried to ask again when we were leaving the hostel and they handed us a card, but no easy instructions. So the location is terrible and the staff don't make it any better. However, the staff was helpful in looking up train times for me and letting me use their cellular phones. They also switched me to a new, upgraded room for no fee- but only because there were rats in the ceiling of my first room (I heard them crawling around for about an hour at 6am and the hotel staff came to our door around 9am to switch us because of an "issue" with our room).

Other than the location and apparent rat problem the hostel was decently clean and not a bad spot to stay if you just need a place to crash at night. All in all, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window- it is worth the money