“I forgive my travel agent for screwing up my booking because they moved me to this hotel from a 4-star Chinese hotel”

Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai
Ranked #369 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I managed to stay at this hotel because my travel agent screwed my guaranteed booking at a local 4-star Chinese hotel so they moved me to this hotel for the rest 2 nights. I'm glad they did because otherwise I would be very pissed with my business trip to Shanghai.

Since this is a relatively new Howard Johnson hotel, everything looked excellent to me. The room was very comfortable, very different with the local 4-star Chinese hotel where I stayed 1 night at. Breakfast was nice, international breakfast standard. Staff speak English quite well and were very helpful. After a stressful night with only 2 hrs of sleep and an awful breakfast at the other hotel, I could enjoy a proper rest and delicious breakfast at this hotel. You cannot imagine how grateful I was while staying at this hotel. Next time I visit Shanghai on a moderate budget, I will pick an international chain hotel that is further from the downtown but offers much better staying experience compared to the similarly-priced local Chinese hotels in the downtown area.

This hotel is quite close to an MRT station, Gangcheng Road of Line 6 (5 mins by taxi, about 20 mins on foot), but it's virtually in the middle of nowhere (about 30-45mins from the Longyang Road Station by taxi without traffic). It's close to the free trade zone though. Those who stay at this hotel are mainly Chinese tourists. It cost me 12 CNY to get to the Gangcheng Road Station and around 75 CNY to the Longyang Road Station, where the Shanghai maglev train is.

Staying at this hotel really saved my Shanghai trip experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Andryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Travellers also viewed these Shanghai hotels
Starr Hotel
Crowne Plaza Shanghai Pudong
#83 of 5,059 in Shanghai
The Eton Hotel Shanghai
#88 of 5,059 in Shanghai

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai

Property: Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai
Address: NO. 5658 Zhangyang North Rd, Shanghai 200137, China (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai)
Region: China > Shanghai Region > Shanghai > Waigaoqiao
Ranked #369 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:5 star — Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai 5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.