“A Couple of Hours to Spare”
Review of M50 Creative Park

US$57.12*
Private Contemporary Art Walking Tour in Shanghai
Ranked #44 of 1,329 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I would say this is not a bad attraction if you have some time to kill on a weekend. Perhaps modern or pop art enthusiasts may find this space more enthralling, but for a casual observer like me, it's just somewhat interesting. M50 seems to be a communal space for galleries of aspiring artists, and although there were some exhibits that I really enjoyed, there were others where I wondered if I missed the point somewhere. Still, the place is visually interesting so I saw many people who brought a camera with them. For me, the part I enjoyed most about this area is actually outside the M50 space. There is a long expanse of wall that people have covered with street art. It is constantly changing as anyone can express themselves on it.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Contemporary Chinese Art in previously industrial buildings. Lots of artwork in different mediums. Prices range from affordable to really expensive. Local, and often very talented artists exhibiting unique, diverse, and interesting artwork. galleries are both selling and exhibiting art. In many galleries we saw, and sometimes chatted, with the artists themselves. In others there was a sales person and in one the exhibition’s curator was present (this last one was the only gallery that exhibited non Chinese artists. The paintings and sculptures in this gallery were part of an exchange with an Italian gallery / museum). The whole open museum area is not big: it’s constructed of maze of little streets, filled with over 50 galleries. Some are on the ground floor; some on the second, third, or fourth floor. Some stand alone, and some are on top of each other. We just went in and out to pretty much every single gallery. For me, it was definitely one of the highlights of the visit in Shanghai and clearly one the best collection of galleries and studios I've seen. It is unpretentious, interesting, often thought-provoking and it is free.
There’s also a lovely bookshop that sells great coffee and a small assortment of dishes which is very pleasant to sit in and rest after walking from one gallery to another.
There’s also lots of graffiti on the river-side wall leading toward the M-50. Some is just colorful but some are really talented and lovely.
To get there, we took subway line # 4, stop at Shanghai Railway Station. On the way back we found a closer subway station, also on line #4: Zhongtan Road Station. We took a taxi from the subway station. It was not expensive and it was worth saving our feet for a walk inside & outside the galleries. Walking from the Shanghai Railway Station seems like a solid half an hour walk. Walking to Zhongtan Road Station seems like a 20 minutes’ walk. A local person told us that you could take bus number 106 from the Shanghai Railway Station. We didn’t try it.

2  Thank ererap
Reviewed 13 April 2014

In this maze of little streets in what seems to be a residential area of Shanghai you will find numerous art galleries, selling and showing art with new exhibitions on a regular basis. It was a very relaxed atmosphere on a Sunday with a steady, but far from overwhelming, stream of visitors. All local Chinese artists and design. You can find cheaper prints of art or photography or pricier original art. Also a few design shops, including a shop for painting your own pottery, as well as a small photo centre with a dark room for old style print development.
Not very many cafes or restaurants, only found a couple, but central Shanghai is a 15-20 minutes taxi ride (or metro) away. Don't miss it if you have time to spare in Shanghai, better than museums.
Also, if you go out on Moganshan Road, heading west you will find more art galleries and on the other side of the street some real graffiti (only I have seen in Shanghai).

2  Thank gladahunden
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Spent a very pleasant afternoon visiting Galleries and doing my best to converse with artists at work - one the best collection of galleries and studios I've seen .. be sure to access via Subway ("Zhongtan Road" stop off elevated 3/4 Lines, near Shanghai Rail station .. then just head South on Zhongton Road until you cross Suzhou River bridge, and take IMMEDIATE left down the road that runs behind the toney furniture center -- it's about a quarter mile down this road (grafitti on the river-side wall, and M50 is on the Left - you'll know you've arrive when you see this fantastic iron Rhnoceros sculpture. If you dont mind walking abt 1/4 mile - maybe 600 metres, it's the easiest least expensive route .. Inside is a treasure trove - have fun!

3  Thank Sgtpepper6344
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stumbled upon M50 while browsing the internet for free things to do in Shanghai, not an easy task. It involved a couple of line transfers on the metro, then a 15 minute walk. As you are getting closer, graffiti covers the stone walls on the left hand side of the road.
I spent a couple of hours weaving my way in and out of art galleries, soaking in everything I was seeing. I knew I had just found one of my favorite spots in the city. It was quiet & I was surrounded by art.
Come back a second time and really focus on what art you would like to purchase. If you have a particular favorite, buy it in postcard form! Much more affordable and a great way to remember your time here.

2  Thank Mary B