“Potential to grow”

FX Hotel Shanghai Nanjing East Road
Ranked #2,434 of 5,205 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I am usually not a fan of chain hotels but decided to give a series of Chinese chains a shot simply for novelty - this one attracted me because of the price and also the black interiors that looked potentially chic and 'boutique'.

Counter staff were relatively friendly upon arrival. Despite the comment I left when booking to say "no smoking room", my friend's room smells like smoke although my room was fine. Having said that, the counter staff changed the room for her without questions.

The room comes with towels, toothbrushes, etc. like a normal hotel. Water warms up quite fast (important in winter!) but a 'warning' for all - it is one of those hotels with the glass toilet/shower doors (albet sandblasted). Some of the lights in my room were not working but it is not a big problem. I got a room with an 'interior window' (faces the wall of the other side of the building) but it helped in making the room less claustrophobic.

On my last day there I realised there is a sad looking room on the 2nd floor which was the 'cafe' but it looked more like a long store room with tables.

The hotel is not perfect but the location is fantastic, design quite alright (though chandeliers with the black sleek look is not my style), room relatively comfortable, and staff rather polite and friendly. There is a lot of potential to grow as a nice chain if they can sort their quality control issues out (as I see many bad reviews by others), and that is when I can recommend with confidence this hotel as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Change the room if it smells like smoke :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nomadicnotion

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Normally never ever bother writing reviews of places as figure its one off bad experience and I wouldn't want to ruin reputation of a place purely because I had a bad experience but....

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in, this includes some dumps in third world countries.

We had booked 2 kind size rooms for 4 night. On arrival we got Room 303 and 305, Room 303 which had the windows wide open but smelt so badly of smoke it felt like I was in a smoking room, student union bar days spring to mind. Changed rooms to Room 315, still smelt of smoke but not as bad however whilst unpacking, water started to POUR through the light, luckily we did not have that particular light on. We immediately called the front desk to inform them of the flood. They called back with a response "Water will stop running soon, the guests above us will stop showering in a minute", wow what a novel idea showering in a hotel, really????? That was their solution, not to have it sorted but to have the guest above us to not shower, incredible. They did not offer to send someone to clean up the huge amounts of water that had flooded our room which we had to clean up.

The next morning I rang down to the front desk to inquire about a room change due to leak and the lady at the front desk informed us that we would not be able to move until after 10am, I asked whether they would like us to bring our luggage to the front desk so that they could move us to another room whilst we went sightseeing, the lady informed me that if we left our luggage in our room they would move the luggage for us. On leaving the 3rd floor we noticed Room 312 was vacant and was being cleaned, so we asked if it would be ok for us to be moved there. The lady (daytime manager) at the front desk changed my card key to room 312 and assured us our luggage would be moved to Room 312. On arrival back at the hotel late that evening my card key did not work, we had to call the security man to let us in only to find no luggage anywhere. I went down to the front desk where they showed me two suitcases and said there you go, neither one was mine. The night time manager then disappears and comes back and says my luggage should be in Room 425 and that I should go looking for it. Dumbfounded that a manager of a hotel would ask a customer to look for a suitcase in another room without a room key???? After some 30 minutes later our luggage was found, not one word of apology.

The next day we arrived back to our hotel room to find no toilet paper had been left in our room I requested some and was informed by the same night time Manager that some would be sent up. One and half hours later no sign of any being sent to our room I rang down again, this time the lady from the front desk informs me they had completely ran out and the next bit is hilarious.....she continues to say that I, the hotel GUEST, shouold go out to BUY some toilet paper. This has to be the most ridiculous comment I have ever ever heard from a hotel staff telling a guest to go and buy toilet paper in the middle of the night (near midnight).

On the final evening our key card still did not work but we did have toilet paper after we asked for some at the front desk (non were placed in our room).

Not only is there leaking roof through light fittings, which is a serious safety hazard, the lift would not open its doors on the ground (Chinese 1st) Floor and would miss the third floor for no reason at all.

The two good things about the hotel is 1) the night time Security guy who was the ONLY person who was polite 2) the location very near the Bund but there are several better hotels nearby as we checked some out.

YOU have been warned.

Room Tip: Room 305 and Room 312 were ok
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank TiggerChen
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Read the review on this site prior to booking the hotel. There were varied mixed reviews and the hotel rating wasn't too high among Shanghai hotels. However, given that FX hotel is related to the Furama group, which is a Singapore chain, I decided to give it a try. In fact, it is also very well located. 2 blocks from Nanjing East Metro and few blocks from The Bund, really gives the convenient of "site-seeing" around Shanghai.

The room was really small, as I was alone, I took the King bed without window. Its really cosy but you really cannot afford 2 persons in the room. There is no space to walk at all. Notwithstanding the small area, the room and toilet is very clean.

So for singles that just want a room to sleep (no breakfast), this is very good deal. Oh! And in this day and age, WIFI is complimentary in-room!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stayed here 5 nights Sept. 22-27 2011. Booked King Classic room. The good: Location, location! about 10-12 minute walk from Nanjing Rd. east subway station to hotel pulling luggage. Bed was comfortable, a rarity in Chinese budget hotels as we discovered later, nice pillows (requested two more and they promptly brought to room). 24-hour Family Mart convenience store in same building as hotel. One small bottle of water free per day. Free disposable slippers also. Ample bathroom amenities (toothbrush and mini toothpaste, combs, shower cap, soap, shampoo and body wash dispenser). Good shower (with glass enclosure and door that keeps water in the shower), western style toilet, HOT water (after front desk turned on), great water pressure and dual shower heads. Tea kettle for making instant coffee, etc. The Bad: SMALL room. If you expect to have a place to set down suitcases you will be setting them on the floor. There is about 18 inches (or less) on each side of the bed only (besides the desk). Nothing to place or hang clothes other than 6 hangers and hooks on the wall thus must function out of your suitcase. Other facts: Contacted hotel to ask if hair dryer was supplied and they said no but there was one in the room. Floor in our room was made of laminate flooring that was extremely old/worn/dirty. Walls were worn and somewhat dingy looking. We had window that partially opened to interior vent area. Electronic key card supplied (extra deposit required at check-in, returned upon check-out). Used credit card for entire transaction without any problems or surcharges from the hotel. Walls are thin and room can get noisy depending on environment. Breakfast coupon is offered for 15rmb at adjacent restaurant (never tried). They do not supply any coffee or tea but Family Mart sells Nescafe instant coffee for 1.20 rmb each. Both wired and wireless internet in the room. Overall if you can adjust to small room (liken it to a cruise ship basic room without closets), want a very good location and budget price, then I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: FX hotel website direct offers discounts when staying 5 days or more. I found this to be cheapest a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ffrob
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed here during our trip to Shanghai on the last week of Feb 2011. We got two rooms. Booked this due to the positive reviews I saw in a budget travel forum. This hotel is one of the cheapest in the Bund.

Great great location! Just a couple of blocks away from the Bund, and the Nanjing east metro station. Rooms are actually quite new. Clean room and clean bathroom. We even had a computer in one room. We got our rooms through Agoda.

The 24/7 Family Mart convenience store near the lobby of the hotel was very helpful. We bought our breakfast there since we ate at early times like 6am.

Their staff is really nice as well. They even translated our destinations to the taxi drivers. Their English is very limited but when it comes to hotel-related and tourist-related stuff they're quite okay.

This hotel is perfect for budget travelers!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Stayed 5 nights at this hotel after finding it on the web. Being part of the Furama chain was a big selling point as our experience in Singapore was great. Booked online and informed them we would not be checking in till about 7-8pm due to our flight time. Arrived to find our room already sold and offered another room (smaller, not as good) for the same price and could change the next night. After a bit of push and shove we got an upgrade for the first night. They did howevr upsell their loyalty card which was 198Y but lowered the room rate by 50Y per night or so, in the end was cheaper overall.

The room we stayed 4 nights in was a standard room (FX room) which was small but did the job. Was a new build which was nice and was by far the most comfortable mattress we had in the whole of china.

Breakfast is a joke, the website states self serve (buffet?) in the hotels restaraunt, the reality of this is they give you a voucher to use at "Yon Ho", a fast food shop three doors down the road. The food there is very greasy, felt like KFCxchinese takeaway. We ended up not using our vouchers and heading to a patiserrie around the corner.

Location is really good. Very easy to access from the metro (2 blocks from station) and a short walk to the bund. Location made up for the shortfalls. The 24hr shop downstairs makes it easy to source cold beer aswell :)

Aslong as they can sort out the check in procedure and re-open the restaraunt this hotel would be great value.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights for 259 RMB a night. It is only a 5 min walk from subway stop and is a short walk to "The Bund". Location wise it is perfect. The room itself is small albeit adequate if you don't have too much luggage. I like the "old Shanghai" prints on the walls of the hotel in the hallway. Once you step out of your room, you feel like you have gone back to old time Shanghai in the 30s or 40s as you stand in the hallway waiting for the elevator!! The hotel claims it just opened recently but it doesn't feel that way-perhaps it is a reno from a old building?? There are many restaurants and shops on the same streets and a 7/11 style store is in the lobby so don't worry if you forget your toothpaste. One complaint we had: the reception staff may not be too honest - they tried to talk us into joining their loyalty program and lying to ctrip just to save some booking commission!! They told us they did not receive a confirmation from ctrip so I can just tell ctrip I did not want to stay at their hotel - meanwhile they told us we can then sign in as their loyalty member if we buy their hotel chain card. We didn't feel comfortable with this bad ethics so we turned them down - 2 minutes after we entered our room, they found the ctrip confirmation!! Just watch out for this kind of unethical behavior in China hotels - lucky we didn't lose anything during our stay. I wouldn't leave valuables in the room at this hotel!! If you can watch your own back and be extra careful not leaving stuff lying around, then this hotel is not a bad choice for the price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple