“Never stay in this hotel and watch the charge at the check out!”

Howard Johnson Hong Qiao Airport Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #1,550 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel because it advertises it is so close to the international airport and free shuttle bus. It says it is 5 stars. After checking in, realized the shuttle only goes to T2, domestic flight not the international terminal, T1. I need to take MRT to T1. When I checked out, found out that they tried to charge me the stay I already paid through travel agency. If I did not look carefully, I would be charged again. The room was far away from 5 stars standard. The most I would give is a 2.5. Had a light dinner there, food was bad.

Never never stay here again and would never recommend this one to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank H C
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hong Qiao Airport Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I just stayed one night. I arrived late at night at Hongqiao and continued next morning from Pudong. My room was good, but not really quiet. I had an inward room with noise from the lobby and the corridor.
Even though the hotel seems to be close to the airport it is hard to reach. Going by taxi from Hongqiao airport was 20 minutes, back by shuttle 15 minutes. I had to take the shuttle back to Hongqiao because there was no other transportation readily available at the hotel. There is no shuttle to Pudong. Taxis must be booked well in advance. I did not know, so I almost missed my flight from Pudong. By the way, the shuttle to/from Hongqiao does not run at night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tobi869
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. Very nice hotel. The front facade is gorgeous! Very quiet hotel/location. We stayed here with a tour group so we didn't have to go anywhere so I can't comment on the location.

The rooms were very nice and the dark wood interior gave a rich feel to it. The interior design was very pleasing and bathrooms were very nice, had both tub and shower stall. Good smelling toiletries.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful. A great array of food from dimsum/baos to sesame noodles, simple pastries, salad, fried egg omelettes and sausages and Asian fried rice and chow mein.

Great experience overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We spent a night at Howard Johnson Hongqiao airport hotel, it is a large fancy hotel in the middle of nowhere with pretty much nothing nearby, which is just fine with us as we want to rest a night and fly out next morning, we intentionally wanted to avoid the city of Shanghai, totally not interested in sightseeing or whatever in Shanghai city. It is large and clean, big breakfast, has 2 OK restaurants with reasonable prices.

We arrived at Hongqiao D train station by 8PM from Yiwu, hotel shuttle pickup is at 2nd Floor, North gate 7, all the way on the total opposite side of this huge train-airport, fortunately station is super clean and empty, easy to roll our suitcases. We missed the shuttle by a few minutes, waited 40 minutes for the hourly shuttle. This gate or entire North side has no regular taxi stand, the taxis by this gate are hustlers asking for huge sum for the short ride or simply refused because it is too close or told us they never heard of the hotel. Took shuttle 20 minutes to reached hotel, through empty streets with nothing in sight, except we could always see the train station/airport nearby, yet it took 20 minutes of constant turning with no traffic. Close yet so far.

Once we reached hotel, it was an impressive sight of palace-like fancy classical building, open atrium. I booked thru agoda, US$100 for a deluxe room, I was upgraded to a big suite, bed is huge and soft. Unfortunately the Chinese restaurant was closing when we got there at 925PM(930PM closing time), Western restaurant food was okay but at least prices were ok too, half or 1/3 of last hotel.

Next morning at 11AM, we took hotel shuttle to Hongqiao airport, took about 10 minutes. If no better or closer choices at this airport, I will certainly stay here again. It was exactly what I needed and expected, it is a very good airport hotel with good value.

Room Tip: No room has view, there is no view to see.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2012

There are dozens of great hotels in Shanghai but this isn't one of them. The only reason you would need to stay here, or indeed stay in this area is for the convenience of Hongqiao airport and train station, both of which are less the 5 mins away. The hotel itself looks very grand but it's showing signs of age. To be honest there were very few negatives, this hotel is perfectly OK for an overnight stay and at a great price, I paid less than $100 but if are in town for longer than one night then there are better hotels in better locations although you will probably pay a lot more. Rooms were clean and spacious although in need of a little air freshener. Bed was incredibly comfortable, free tea/coffe etc, nothing to complain about. Really cannot understand what some of the more negative reviewers were talking about but my room was great for the price and if I needed an early start from this area would certainly stay here again. If leaving from Pudong airport the Howard Johnson there is also very good and much better than the on-site hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed for a night just because I had to take an early morning train from Hong qiao. Hotel is situated away from any happening areas and it has a very sleepy look. It seemed pretty deserted when I stayed there. Room was average, breakfast was nothing to write home about. Avoid if you can. Shanghai has much better options to choose from.

Room Tip: Top floors have better view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed five nights here and enjoyed every one. The staff were very helpfull and most spoke some English. There was always someone on had who spoke good English, The restaurants were excellent. The advertised "Continental Breakfast" was in fact a full buffet with many fine Chinese and European dishes. Even though the Hotel was full the service was still great.
Shuttle bus to the Airport and Rail station was frequent. The rooms were well furnished and serviced. I would definately stay here again

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business