Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$203
Orbitz.com
US$364
US$237
1,651 results
All reviewsgrand brasseriepersonal conciergewei jing gepeacock alleyde villeheritage buildingtv in the mirrorriver viewautomatic toiletbeautiful hotelnew wingdiamond memberhigh techview roombreakfast buffetluxury hotelchinese restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Spent 5 nights and stayed at the room with bund facing and the view was awesome! Loved the building which is so restored.

Room: Huge bathroom with Ferragamo toiletries. Love the bed which is so comfortable though the pillows was a letdown as it does not give much support. It comes with a Nespresso machine - great for coffee drinkers!

Food: Breakfast spread was so so only and the local food do not taste authentic. Room for improvement for the food. Had afternoon tea at Salon de Ville which is located at the historic wing. Nice environment and great to spend a lazy afternoon there though the snacks were okay only.

Location: though the subway is not nearby but it is easy to grab a cab. Do remember to grab cabs over at the historical building facing the bund cos usually tourists will drop by there to go to the bund. Its much slower waiting for taxi at the lobby which is located at the back of the hotel as taxis may not turn in.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for the rooms facing the bunds!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Loved it! Loved it!! Loved it!!!

I stayed here for one night on 10 April 2012 and this hotel and the staffs were simply absolutely fabulous!!!!! This is easily one of the best hotel in the world.

I arrived around 2 pm and there is a drive-way from the main thoroughfare leading to the hotel entrance (I did my research so I know which way to take if not you will end up at the wrong entrance which is facing the bund). Upon entering the hotel ground, the security will call the reception to let them know that guest is arriving and in seconds when the taxi reached the reception door, bellboys were there waiting to welcome you and handle your luggages. I was asked how should I be addressed by the bellboy and escorted to the check-in counter with smiles. Check-in was a breeze and my request for late check-out at 6 pm was granted, with a complimentary room upgrade to stunning river view room.

I was then escorted by the fronk desk staff to my room, and after entering the room, he was standing outside seeking my permission to come in asking me "may I come in to your room?". It is nice to know that guests are treated to that extend of respect. The room is totally amazing. I shall let you look at the pictures I posted yourself as they are worth thousand words. Everything is marble marble marble, especially the bathroom and the walk in closet. The whole room just exudes regality and I assure you no details were spared with regards to the design and comfort of the room.

The room is of decent size (I wound't say it is big) but I am sure you will not complain. It comes with the standard amenities of modern day 5 star hotels such a flat screen plasma TV, Nespresso machine and etc. I love the complimentary bottle of cookies beside the coffee machine while enjoying your coffee (I do hope they change new ones for each arriving guest coz it will be dreadful to be sharing those from previous guests sticking their fingers all over) and the bedside console for controlling the curtains and adjusting the room lighting to your preference (they have got for jetlag, morning wake up and other settings).

Now the bathroom......oh YES the bathroom. Where should I start? The high tech TV built inside the mirror, the enormous bathtub with Ferragamo toiletries, automated toilet seat with multiple functions, large seperate shower cubicle and not to mention (again) swanky marble marble marble all over the bathroom (to the point it might be a bit overwhelming for others but I certainly love it!).

The bed is super comfy with the only competitor out there being St Regis's Heavenly Bed. The room comes with two types of bathrobe, one to keep you warm immediately after shower and the other I guess is for before bedtime. The only other hotel I have stayed that provides these level of luxury for bathrobe is Sofitel Metropole Hanoi. For hotel of this calibre I would have thought there would be some chocolates provided during turndown service (or was there?) I honestly can't remember as I was quite drunk after enjoying my evening at the unequivocally splendid The Long Bar in the hotel. Great atmosphere, ample choices of cocktails and fantastic staffs it's a must try although it could be quite difficult to get a seat due to it's popularity from non hotel guests.

The breakfast area is another stunning place to be in (which I also had dinner at). In both occasions the staffs were eager, enthusiastic and display high level of service standard. The dinner can be quite expensive but what do you expect if you choose to stay in hotel of this class? More importantly was the food was good and worth the money spent. My breakfast was included in the rate and it was the best breakfast experience I ever had in a hotel (I usually can't be bothered to wake up for breakfast).

The hotel itself is a restored 1861 Shanghai Club once home to the premier men's club for British residents in Shanghai. Membership was subjected to a strict hierarchy and only restricted to white males of a certain class. As I was walking along the extravagantly lit lobby from the Peacock Alley to the intricately designed iron gate leading out towards the bund, I can't help but travelled back in time to once where only the selected few walked the path.

Room Tip: Choose the river view room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Omphaloskepsis
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We spent two nights at the Waldorf after the Shanghai Grand Prix. The room was lovely and spacious, well designed with a nice layout, big bathroom, walk-in closet, lots of high tec features, nice tea and coffee facilities, etc. The bed was huge and the bedding was of a high quality but for some reason we slept very badly. The pillows are very big so not great for the neck and I think that was the main problem. There is a pillow menu though and I would have tried a few other pillows out had we stayed any longer.

The bathroom is nice and big, the shower was great but I agree with the one other reviewer about the shower head. It's not flexible so I had to use the rain shower, which I'm not a fan of. I loved the automatic toilet and at night there was no need to switch on the lights as there was an automatic night light. There were loads of soft towels, products and clever features.

Breakfast was very good. There was a nice selection of smoked salmon, salads, fruit, yogurt, breads, pastries, smoothies, juices and hot items. And we could order eggs from the menu. But what I found irritating was that the staff kept asking if we wanted to order eggs. When we said we'd order later, after we'd had cereal and yogurt, they kept trying to take away the menu, which of course we wanted to keep so we could order later. The staff found this quite perplexing, we found it annoying.

One evening, we had drinks in the Long Bar which were good but it was a little quiet and lacked atmosphere which was a shame. And we had lunch in the Grand Brasserie - they have a set menu which is great value and the food was delicious.

The location is great, right on the Bund, a ten minute walk to the Metro, a five minute walk to East Nanjing Road. M on the Bund is one block away if you want a nice meal or a drink in the bar. And Atanu Bar is just across the street in an old lighthouse. Go up the spiral staircase to the outdoor bar (the provide blankets for the chilly evenings) for a great view.

We thoroughly enjoyed out stay and would love to stay again. It's No.2 on our list of favourite hotels, second to The Oriental Tokyo.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bund view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flipflops49
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had 2 wonderful rooms for our family and had magnificent views across the Bund to Pudong.

Breakfast was beautiful and the hotel is just magnificent - both the new tower and the historic old Shanghai Club part.

Service - wonderful from everyone in every area.

Pool - smallish but beautiful.

Ambiance - excellent.

Truly a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Awesome hotel and service you'd expect from a WA. The team here is so attentive and speak very good English. Warning if you're requesting a taxi back to the hotel, even in native tongue, not many have heard of this jewel on the Bund. Your breakfast puts all others to shame, wow, the variety, etc. Thanks for a great week long stay which I'll remember forever.

Room Tip: Bund view toward the Financial Centre.....
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends