“NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT CERTAINLY THE BEST.”

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #4 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
SYDNEY, Australia
“NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT CERTAINLY THE BEST.”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very hard to beat for location, comfort,view and facilities. We were told it was the number one hotel in Shanghai and after staying we would agree. The staff try very hard even those who don't speak fluent English.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communications at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for staying at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. We appreciate your compliments of our hotel location, facilities and our service. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Director of Marketing Communications

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manama
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel was luxurious. The staff were friendly. The breakfast buffet was good. Dinner at the Brasserie was delicious. The Bund views from the room were absolutely spectacular. The room amenities were great (Toto automatic commode, tv in the bathroom's mirror, Nespresso machine, etc). The cashmere store in house had the softest cashmere shawls I've touched. Everything was satisfactory except housekeeping. For instance, the sac holding the hairdryer was stained, there were rust stains on the bathroom floor, dust was found throughout the room, some liquid stains on the walls, stained towel, etc. This indicated to me that housekeeping did not pay close attention to these details, and what creeped me out was wondering what else was dirty but not visible to the naked eye. I bet, going back, I'd still find some of these stains in the room. Such a pity for a really nice property like this one, although I did notice this trend in lazy housekeeping throughout my China trip.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new tower facing the Bund. The views, both day and night, are so worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your nice review of our room amenities, culinary as well as our service. We appreciate your feedback as we understand the importance of guest room cleanliness, and we try to be very vigilant in this area to ensure the comfort and satisfaction for our guests. Based upon your review, we will actively working with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you, again, for your honest feedback, and I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to flawless guest experiences.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I spent four nights at the hotel in March 2014 on a business trip. I travel a lot for work and I have rarely experienced such a perfect hotel experience. Everything was brand new and the service was superb - discreet but there when you needed it.

The room layout was great. I particularly liked the walk-in closet right next to the door which had full wardrobe, a ledge for suitcase and a safe. It was so easy to hang all my shirts and my suit. The bathroom was very spacious with a his and her sinks (not that I needed both of them) and one of those funny Japanese toilet seats. The bed was fantastic and I slept like a baby. Oh, and I had a perfect view over the river with all the boats and overlooking Pudong.

I used the gym every morning. It was small but very functional. I liked the Concept rowing machine which is not common and the elliptical, but I wish they had two ellipticals since I once had to wait for it to be available.

Breakfast was awesome. First, the breakfast room was gorgeous and the service was phenomenal. They had Western and traditional Chinese breakfast items. When in Asia I like to eat local, so I mostly had the dim sum and the congee with condiments. Unfortunately the dim sum selection was the same every day but that did not matter much as it was quite tasty. Especially the congee was great. You could also get omelettes and other made to order breakfast items.

Needless to say to location is great for tourism. I, unfortunately, had to cross the tunnel each morning to get to Pudong side, but it wasn't too bad either. Oh and did I mention the green tea cookies they bring to your room... very nice! This is now my new standard when visiting Shanghai!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund. We’re also really pleased to know you enjoyed our room amenities, our gym and also the breakfast. Thank you for your wonderful review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

New York, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A luxurious stay. This hotel has a perfect location. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. You may pay a lot, but it will be a memorable stay. Did not have the time to make use of all the wonderful facilities, the those that we used were all first rate.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for your compliment on the high quality of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was the second time in 2 years that my wife and I stopped off for a couple days in Shanghai on our way to SE Asia and both times we stayed here. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with superb service, excellent accommodations and great food, look no further. I stay routinely at Four seasons, ritz carlton, kempinski and the like level of hotels around the world and this one ranks as one of the best. The staff that we encountered were fantastic and helpful. We had the room service during the stay and the food was excellent in quality and delivered punctually. My wife's favorate part of the room was the toilet. It is completely electronic. As you enter the room the lid opens automatically. The seat is heated and has assorted water jets and blowers. We liked it so much that we are looking to get one for our home.

I have written several reviews for tripadvisor which have ranged from warning/danger to excellent hotel. I am a top level elite with both hilton and marriott. I will conclude by saying if you are going to be in Shanghai, dont even think about it....STAY HERE!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us for the second time. It is very inspiring for us to learn that you have ranked Waldorf Astoria Shanghai as one of best hotels around the world. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to serving you again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights.It was selected because we had enjoyed our stay at the Waldorf in New York many years before and the brand name is synonymous with luxury and service.We were not disappointed on both levels.The hotel lived up to all our expectations.It was beautifully appointed and the service was excellent.The concierge was particularly helpful in the matter of restaurants,directions and day tours.We booked a room with a river view which I recommend.The river has interesting boat traffic complimented by lights at night on the adjacent buildings.The position of the hotel is great with interesting restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Room Tip: Deluxe river view rooms.
1 Thank Prudence P
Thanks for taking the time to write your heartfelt review. We are delighted with your wonderful comments of our hotel as well as our service, and thank you for your compliments of our Concierge Team. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was very surprised at how friendly the staff were and the effortless check in process. During my stay, the staff were very friendly and attended to all my needs. I would strongly recommend this hotel as a place to stay and totally relax.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was so attentive to your needs. I truly appreciate your recommendation and I hope that you will stay with us again.