Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
US$122
US$324
US$157
  • Pool
The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi(Shanghai)
US$279
US$231
Priceline
1,727 results
All reviewsgrand brasseriepersonal conciergewei jing gefamous long barpeacock alleyde villeheritage buildingtv in the mirrorriver viewautomatic toiletbeautiful hotelnew wingdiamond memberhigh techview roomwalk in closetchinese restaurant
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

* Long review ahead*
Terrible service experienced during my 2 night stay with my family during the 25 May weekend. We took up 2 suites and 1 deluxe room, and had requested for the 2 suites to be connected, which was confirmed in advance by Daniel (one of the reservations staff I believe).

Terrible check-in fiasco:
1) Amber, the receptionist, wasn’t that friendly. Which was quite a surprise during our check-in. Efficient, but not as welcoming as we expected for a 5 star luxury Waldorf Astoria.

2) we found out only when we reached out rooms that’s our request for connecting rooms was not available, and upon calling the reception, they told that even though they’ve agreed in writing that we will get our connecting rooms, they had already assigned the connecting prestige suite to another longer staying guest- What?? Why no mention of this during check-in?
After a bit of debate, they reluctantly agreed to have the manager call us as we had to go for dinner

3) duty manager called, and told us that they will upgrade our deluxe room to a suite, so that our 3 rooms are side by side, with the new upgrade connecting to our parents rooms. We asked the manager to move the extra bed to the new room, and reshuffle our luggages before our check-in

4) however, when we came back to our rooms, the luggages were moved wrongly and the bed was still in the old room. When we called to speak to the manager, he agreed with me that he had received and acknowledged my instructions during our call earlier, and apologized for his mistake. He also agreed to send a staff to our rooms. Note: room had no fruits or welcome package.

5) the staff sent to our rooms had NO IDEA what was expected of him to do for our rooms- obviously the duty manager had not informed him of anything. By this time, it was about 11.30pm at night already.

Note: throughout this whole process, duty manager did not even come down to speak to us personally. Not during our return to our hotel after dinner, nor during the change of rooms. We are utterly disappointed with the service recovery of the hotel- we had expected more from the manager- at least for him to come personally to apologize or to help us direct the staff to fix up our rooms. Our opinion is that they just don’t care enough about this.

Laundry headache:
1) I left my laundry on my bed, and turned on the “make-up room” button before we left the hotel around 9.30am. Standard laundry for the hotel are for pickups before 12 noon, with returns of laundry at night.

2) however, when we came back at around 10pm at night, my laundry was still not in the room

3) called the personal assistant, and was informed that the cleaning service picked up our laundry only after noon. They insisted that we convert our service to express service to have my laundry sent to my room by that night, or they could have my dirty laundry sent to me immediately. I was extremely upset, as I leave my laundry like this often in other 5 star luxury hotels worldwide, and this is the first time we had this issue.

4) the personal assistant told us that the manager will call me shortly.

5) we received our cleaned laundry in about 10mins, but no call from the duty manager.

Note: although I’m happy that my laundry came back eventually, am extremely frustrated that I had to argue with them about this small inconsequential issue. Also, isn’t it standard courtesy for the manager to at least call? Disappointed, yet again.

Summary review of hotel and other services:
- beautiful rooms, great service at breakfast lounge.
- extra bed granted with compliments
- however, service recovery and training of staff have to be improved.

Will I go back? No. We had a much better service experience in Four Seasons Shanghai. We were greeted by the GM and Marketing manager there when we arrived at the hotel. Obviously, service quality in Waldorf pales in comparison.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
WaldorfAstoria2011, Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear guest ,

Thank you for your stay with us in your recent visit to Shanghai. Please accept our sincere apologies with sincere regards that we were not able to meet your expectations as well as our own. Rest assured that I have raised the matter with the entire team and appropriate action will be taken to prevent re-occurrence. Only with comments such as yours are able to identify opportunities to continually improve the products and service of the hotel. We'd be delighted to welcome you back to restore some of your confidence related to Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund. Looking forward to have an opportunity from you and your family.

Best regards,
Julia Zhu
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a great stay at the Waldorf on the bund, lovely breakfast and the view from the room was just stunning. Highly recommended, Michelle (3503) was wonderful, she made sure that we had everything we needed.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
WaldorfAstoria2011, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Benjamin Z,

I am thrilled you enjoyed the hotel. The rooms are lovely and the Grand Brasserie's breakfast buffet is something we are very proud of. I also acknowledge your mention of Michelle. I will thank her again on your behalf.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Decided to treat ourselves with one night stay at this hotel. Fantastic service throughout hotel from arrival to departure. Hotel itself reeks of the Shanghai of yesteryear and must have had some interesting people passing through its doors over the years having been at one time the journalistic press club. Food excellent and you just have to have a cocktail in the long bar, close your eyes and try and transport yourself back in time to visualise what it must have been like in here all those years ago.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Chris NCL,

Thank you for your comments which will encourage the whole team. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and the Long Bar in particular. The Long Bar is full of stories from its gracious past during the Shanghai Club era of 1911 and through to today. Every day we welcome new and returning customers. Hope to welcome you back soon also!

Reviewed 18 May 2018

this is a beautiful hotel, it is classy and elegant, the service was great and the staff are very accommodating. it is everything that you would expect from a waldorf astoria hotel.the location is right on the bund so you dont have far to walk to anything. the breakfast selection was very good. i really enjoyed my stay here. the rooms were very clean. i would highly recommend this hotel if staying in shanghai

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear michaellK6094OA,

I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay so much. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Intro: global traveler with over 200 nights a year in 5stars, LHW, etc.
I’ve just spent 5 nights at the Waldorf and even if the rooms are of good quality the service level is very low.
Breakfast service : up to 14min to get an espresso and sometimes it arrives cold... the grapefruit juice was mixed with water according to one of the waiter, etc.
Concierge service: we were looking for a cigar club where we could have dinner, we were sent to a place that did not offer dinner...
We asked for a taxi every morning at 0830am, in average we only were able to leave at 0845.

Until they upgrade the service level, I don’t recommend this hotel for world travelers used to luxury 5 stars service.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
WaldorfAstoria2011, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear ParisianFoodaholic,

So sorry things didn't go well during your stay. We will definitely follow up on your notes about coffee service and the recommendation provided by Concierge. I apologize as we should and do normally do much better.

Taxi's are in high demand at peak hours in Shanghai. I hope we didn't over-promise our ability to have a taxi waiting at 8:30am. Public taxis can't be booked in advance here, though we can hold one (payable) should one drop by near the time requested. The other alternative is a hotel car arranged prior. I am sorry we weren't able to get you away promptly in the morning.

If ever back in Shanghai, please do contact me as I'd like to demonstrate our normal level of service. Please contact my assistant Athena Shen for arrangements: Athena.Shen@Waldorfastoria.com