“Top tourist hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #129 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Antwerp, Belgium
“Top tourist hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Arrived last night on a private tour of shanghai. Spacious, clean, and lux rooms. Even a tv in the tub wall. No wine by the glass at the bar and remote location from city center. Hotel is in an area consisting of residences so no real tourist opportunities are available.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the river. And of course no smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank don188636

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed with part of a tour group and personally liked it the best of all the hotels. The rooms and bathrooms are enormous, beds very comfortable. We stayed on the 11th floor and then later on 23rd floor which we preferred as we had really great views and felt peaceful. The breakfasts were good but have had better. I did not mind the area and could not call it a slum it's China! We wandered around the area for our last morning and shopped. The prices were great and people delightful. We took a taxi to the Bund and it was 22 RMB cheap enough. Just check with the hotel which are the regulated taxi as we paid considerably more on the return trip. But still not overly expensive. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jill M
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed two nights in the Wyndham as part of our bus tour. The Hotel was good (better than most we stayed in). Bedrooms very large and comfortable and breakfast was excellent (western and oriental).
Location fair (view out the window overlooked the rubbish area) however was of no real consequence as we were only in the room at night.
Only difficulty with service is the lack of english speaking staff.
all up, I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ranch100
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel back in September. It was a good hotel, services were good, concierge was decently knowledgeable on whereabouts in the city (but not knowledgeable enough in my opinion). It's a relatively big hotel (we stayed there with our tour group).

The breakfast buffet was also decent and very chinese but still with continental options!

It was overall enjoyable

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank olympialui
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed at the Wyndham for two nights at the start and end of my tour of China last year. This is a fairly new hotel as it was opened this decade. As far as all of the hotels I stayed in China, this visually was the nicest of them all. The rooms are large with high ceilings and the bathroom is massive. You have a choice of using the shower or the bathtub which has a TV screen to the side!

Though on paper this should have been the one that I had the best stay at, it wasn't. There isn't any in-room wi-fi, though there is in the lobby downstairs. The TV channel selection was a bit lacking. A lot of government channels mostly. And I never could find the right temperature for the room which led to restless nights here. Though to be fair, I was coming on the tail end of long journies both times. One from a long flight from the US and one from a long day in China.

I did also try the breakfast buffet which was surprisingly disappointing. As we were with a tour group, lines were long for anything that needed to be ordered. Hence, I stuck to the items you can help yourself to which I found to be average. Given the Wyndham's brand prestige, I would have hoped the buffet would have been better.

As for the title of the review, the Wyndham truly is the nicest building on the block as it is located in a residential area where you can find locals hanging about. The sights and sounds that I encountered by walking a just block away from here gave me a feeling of awe. Saw a few things that I would not typically see living in the US.

Overall, I thought the Wyndham was good, but not great. It is a very nice hotel visually, but I don't think it is up to par with the Wyndham name.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jol20
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Honestly, the hotel it self is not bad, but... may the environment is the worst, the hotel is locating in a slum. I can't understand why they chose this location.Dirty and mass, and I visited the worst road in the world when I took a walk,it is called Zhoujiapai road, I ever seen a road mass like that even I experienced the slum in India.

Choose th one in Pudong in better than this, trust me.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in October 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our value for money.Sure the hotel is out of the town but a $4.aud taxi ride to the city centre didn't break the bank.
Our room and facilities were excellent and all the meals that we had at the hotel were more than satisfactory.
The exchange rate for our cash was equal to the best we have enjoyed anywhere in the world,
We would certainly recomend this hotel to anybody requiring a top quality hotel at a very resonable rate.

Room Tip: The higher the better views of Shanghai Town!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nash Q, General Manager at Wyndham Bund East Shanghai, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments. We try our utmost to satisfy our customer's. Yes, you are absolutely right. It is indeed an excellent price and value for money. We are gald to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Good day & best regards,