“Cannot Recommend”

The Kitchen at... Cooking Studio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A hands-on 90-minute cooking class of two to three recipes in a well-equipped kitchen. Reservations must be made in advance, and there is an additional cost for ingredients.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cannot Recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

My friend and I reserved two different classes at The Kitchen At - one a wok class with two dishes and one a dumpling class. The two dishes in the wok class. battered crab and pork liver, were taught by the "chef" - owner. He did not seem to want to be there. He ruined the battered crab dish with a "sauce" that was more like southern biscuit gravy, thickened with too much flour. We couldn't eat it. The pork liver dish was good. The dumpling class was a little better. Except, that "chef" didn't seem to want to be there either and left as quickly as possible after teaching us two sweet dumplings. It was supposed to be at least one savory dumpling, but they changed the menu without telling us. There are much better cooking classes in Shanghai.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Mermaid528_12

Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“unique, charming, professional and fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I and my friends have been attending classes at "the Kitchen at" for 3 years now and from day one have had only wonderful, memorable experiences. We send friends and relatives whenever they visit as it is such a pleasant and unique experience. We've learned to cook everything from Hong Shou Rou (a Shanghainese braised pork dish) to Ossobuco, to dumplings and have never been disappointed by the quality, expertise, or friendly service.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank moninika
Shanghai, China
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The worst worst cooking place ever seen in life”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Went to this cooking class twice, the oven not working, no introduction of raw food at all, the so called chef has no idea in answering question, no service at reception, nobody answer phone in office hours, I don't think the chef is a real chef, better to learn from cook book,

Visited May 2011
2 Thank Biwoe
thekitchenat, Owner at The Kitchen at... Cooking Studio, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
We operate 6 days a week from Tuesday to Sunday and the office is closed on Sunday and Monday. If one calls on Monday, there is no office staff available for inquiry. Our office hours are posted on our website and all printed programs.

All instructors teaching in our studio are professional chief cooks from 5-star hotels or high-end restaurants. They share techniques and knowledges in the class, with printed recipes provided for taking home as reference.
Miami, Florida
“Phenomenal cooking class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Thje cooking class by Miranda and her staff was phenomenal! To begikn with, the layout of the kitchen was excellent, and it was absolutely spotless! The utensills, and the all the ingredients were plcaed in a very orderly manner,such that it was a pleasure just to see it.
The translation by Miranda was excellenbt, the class was tops. We prepared Lemon Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork and Shanghai Noodles - and not only did we eat what we porepared, but also what the Chef prepared.
Overall, a great experience, extremely recommendable!!!!

Visited April 2011
Brighton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic Cooking Class ~ the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

I only had a few hours free in Shanghai and I wanted to find a cooking class to learn about the real chinese food; not the Canadian variation we know here as Chinese food. The Kitchen at Cooking Studio was VERY accomodating and offered me a private class on the day of my choice but also slightly earlier than their regular time so that I could catch my afternoon flight back to Canada.
I have taken many cooking classes, and some at renowed school such as Le Cordon Bleu in Ottawa, and none match my experience at The Kitchen at Cooking Studio! I learned a lot, not only in Chinese cuisine, but also in techniques and the fact that I do not speak, nor understand Chinese was not a problem. Miranda was an excellent translator and Chef Allan was a gem!
I left with great recipes and the knowledge that I could reproduce them back home.
My only regret: I wish I lived closer so I could take more classes!
It was an unforgettable experience!

Visited October 2010