“Average and no happy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Texas City, Texas
“Average and no happy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Have stayed in this hotel before, only stayed one night and fly back, cause the location near SHA.But have to say not happy this time and will choose another next time. Taxi from SHA, 50RMB,20 minutes. I booked non-smoking room but there is smoking smell make me crazy. Requested to change to non-smoking but need to be upgrade and pay extra.

Room Tip: There is a bar street outside the hotel if you love night life.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Dear Ms. Amelie,

Thank you for your sharing your candid feedback on Tripadvisor. I regret to read that your recent stay was not up to expectations and that you were assigned a non-smoking room with a smoke scent. This is certainly not acceptable and, hence, please accept my apologies.

We are sometimes confronted with guests that do smoke in their room, despite being on a non-smoking floor. Albeit such rooms are being deep-cleaned at all times, it appears that our efforts have not been satisfactory. For me to better assess on what has happened (also regarding the requirement for a paid upgrade), I would appreciate if you can provide me with your contact details as well as your stay dates. Please contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Williamson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

I stayed on Dec 23 and 24 after a long flight from Sydney. This Hilton is an outstanding hotel in terms of service and comfort. As a diamond member I was upgraded to the Executive floor and there were fruits, dessert and even a bottle of Shiraz and a welcome card. Executive guests are given priority check-in at Tower 3 which is excludively for Executive guests only. The Excecutive Floor Lounge (L3) serves wide selection of breakfast - both Chinese and Continental food, light afternoon tea and evening snacks & drinks which are good enough for dinner! The Lounge staff are very friendly and attentive.
I was not feeling well so I did not use the gym or the pool and only had a light meal at the Level 1 buffet restaurant which also serves ala carte meal.
My room is spacious (about 60m2 ?) posh, with a big TV on turn plate which allows bed or sofa viewing.The ligting design may work not to individual's expectation, nevertheless its a nice design. The only con probably is that the bathroom light can't be on when the bed lights are off. The coolest TV is the mirror facing the big tub - allows soaking in water and TV brewing...
The work station has a very sleek modern professoinal feel and it allows most shapes power plug in. I bet very few so called international hotels cater for international guests needs to this minor detail ?
Another minor flaws may be that the long link between the Tower 3 and main lobby which either from outside or internally via steps..
I choose this hotel because I prefer to be close to Hongqiao airport and train station. And I enjoyed my short stay despite not in good physical condiitons to use some of the facilities. I am returning for 2 nights during New Year to finish off my trip to China.

Room Tip: Stay in the Excutive floors - special treatment
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is indeed a pleasure to read through your encouraging comments, as well as the recommendations you make with regards to the lighting. The Executive Tower (Tower 3) opened in April 2012, and is only accessible for our Executive Guests; including our Diamond Members. As such, it is a “hotel, within a hotel” and provides all hotel services to our Executive Guests – including separate entrance, elevators, front desk, lounge, meeting rooms and library.

I truly hope you will be coming to our hotel again soon and that I will have the possibility to then welcome you in person. Please feel free to contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com if you wish to make your next travel arrangements. For now, I hope you have fully recovered after your busy travel schedule.

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Generally I took Hilton as my 1st choice when I travel around the world. But this one is just a so-so hotel which not make me any memory. I spend almost 1 week in august which is the low season, the staff here still can not remember me & my decaf-cafe. I could joined better if the hotel care more about customer experience here.

Room Tip: You tell me...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay with us in August. In your comment, you mentioned that you were not given sufficient personal attention and recognition during your stay. Clearly, this is not in line with how we would like all our guests to feel welcomed in a warm and hospitable way. Rest assured that I will share your valuable feedback with all our Team Members and that we will take action for such things to happen again in the future. Nonetheless I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com if you wish to make your next reservation, so I can ensure you will be well-looked after.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

As this is my first review on this site, I would like to state that I also work in the hospitality industry, and I have a solid understanding of what 5-star service entails. With that said, Hilton Hongqiao is not quite there in terms of service. I am a HHonors gold member, and when I arrived at the front desk, nothing was prepared for me, and I ended up waiting quite a while to check-in. I placed my credit card on the front desk, which should indicate that I was using that card for my deposit, and the front desk worker ended up asking me three times if I wanted to use that card. When asking concierge for directions, the work did not lift his head to even address me and kept typing away at his keyboard. The staff at the executive lounge and fitness center at least knew how to greet me with a smile, but as the for the rest of the hotel staff, I was met with cold looks or they simply chose to ignore me.

Upon entering my room, I found there to be no welcome letter or welcome fruit, and I had to call the Magic line twice to ask about my gold member benefits and wifi access. These were all minor inconveniences, but I expect better from a Hilton brand, especially in such an international city as Shanghai. With all that said, the hotel was quick to send the fruit to my room after I informed them. Also, the facilities are very nice. The guest rooms are spacious and well-designed. My view from my room was of a construction site, but that's not the hotel's fault. The gym and executive lounge were also on par with other Hilton hotels that I've stayed in. Overall, it was a good experience, but like I said, the VIP preparations need some improving.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Danny,

Thank you for your elaborate review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. As a “co-hotelier” we appreciate your valuable insights and suggestions on how we can make the stay at our hotel more memorable. Having said that, I do apologize that you were not given the full attention you may expect; in particular as you are a HHonors Gold member. Each morning, my team and I are going through the list of VIP arrivals to ensure that the rooms are fully prepared and that the amenities have been delivered. Yet, it seems that during your stay, this process has not been waterproof. For that I would like to apologize and I will discuss with my front office team on how we can prevent these things to happen in the future. It would be helpful if you can contact me on mike.williamson@hilton.com to advise me your name as well as your arrival date, so we can review in further detail.

Nonetheless, I am grateful to read that you did enjoy our spacious guest rooms, gym and executive lounge. We certainly hope that we may welcome you again in the not too-distant future. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to make your next reservation.

I look forward to hearing from you and wishing you a happy New Year!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

The hotel is either quite new or recently renovated. Stayed here for conference and the meeting rooms were fine. The double bedroom was nicely designed, probably the most spacious I ever experienced, but couldn't really figured out the lighting system. Nice gym and indoor pool. Good services in general and what really impressed me were the breakfast and lunch buffets, excellent choices. If you are new to Shanghai, this hotel location is easily 45min to the bund, depending on traffic.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary Y
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your encouraging feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our spacious bedrooms and that you had time to try our extensive gym and wellness facilities. I will forward your comments to our all our team members, particularly to the culinary team. Together with our Engineering Department I will explore if there are any possibilities to make the guest room lighting system more “user friendly”.

Our hotel opened late 2010 and has among the largest guest rooms (>46 sqm) and conference facilities in Shanghai (including a 1,706 sqm ballroom). Albeit the hotel is not located in the down-town area, it is in close proximity to Hongqiao Airport and Shanghai Highspeed Railway station. We do provide complimentary shuttle service to the Bund, so please inform our concierge during your next stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel soon. If you wish to make your next reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com.

Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Staying at this level hotel and you expect only the best. It seems that Hilton forgets such. Yes, the room is big and nice, but nobody understands the light system. You turn off the main and you can't get reading light or bathroom light. The spot of each lamp is useless. There is no cotton bud. They put small soap holder so you have to manage the shower gel and shampoo. The worst is their key cards as I need to ask for new ones twice (and see that others have the same problem). I would have given excellent if it's not Hilton.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thanks you for being honest and candid about your recent stay at our hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback and insights. Whilst we are pleased to read that you were happy with our new spacious 46 sqm guest rooms, I am very sorry to learn that you experienced certain difficulties during your stay. Be assured that I am reviewing together with my engineering team on how we can improve the user friendliness of our lighting system and to ensure that our key card system works flawlessly. On the other hand, I do not fully agree with your comments regarding the cotton pad and soap holder, as both are provided in each bathroom. Additional cotton pads can always be requested with our “Magic” team, who will be bringing these up to your room, 24/7.

Albeit I do apologize that your stay has not been fully up to your expectations, I would welcome the opportunity to have your stay with us again during your next trip to Shanghai. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly via mike.williamson@hilton.com if you wish to make your next booking. I can then personally take care of your reservation and stay.

Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

First internet on room is charged without prior notice.i have only make logout after acess and in the other day I have a impressionant invoice. They don't inform that logout is not enough. We must disconnect wi-fi, otherwise we are supporting Hilton bennefits. Incredible way to take money from customers, specially for a respectable brand as Hilton.
Rooms are nice but rumorous. The ventilation system makes a all night rumour, not aceptable on a 5 stars hotel. Check in and check out are slowly. Too much expensive for China.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your posting on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. Reading through the large number of contributions on this site, I understand that you are a very seasoned traveler and, therefore, I appreciate your valuable feedback! Obviously, I am disappointed to read that you experienced certain shortcomings during your stay which, therefore, has not been up to “Hilton standard”. For that, I would like to apologize.

In order to prevent such matters to be repeated in the future, my team and I have started to investigate on what has happened. As your concerns are fairly specific, I would be grateful if you can contact me directly via mike.williamson@hilton.com. I can then have a better understanding on when you stayed with us, in which room. We can then take necessary actions.

I look forward to hearing from you.