“Great rooms and great location”

Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao
Ranked #54 of 5,138 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Hilton Hongqiao is a very nice hotel. The rooms are large, modern and clean. The location is great for foreigners as it is just a 5 min taxi ride away from a well known foreigners street whcih has many restuartants and bars.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

I am pleased to read your comment about your recent stay at our hotel. As your rightly pointed out, our hotel is conveniently located and just a stone-throw away from a wide variety of restaurants and bars. Besides “Foreigner Street” (Laowai Jie), there is also many excellent Japanese and Korean restaurants nearby. Hopefully you will have the time to explore the area next time you travel from Busan to Shanghai.

The Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao opened in 2010 and is therefore one of the newest hotels in Hongqiao. The rooms have a minimum size of 46 sqm / > 495 sqft and are all fitted with an oversized bathroom. Due to the size of the rooms as well as the extensive (wellness) facilities, the hotel is very popular among long-staying guests (some of which stay with us over a year). I hope we may welcome you to our hotel again soon!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Even though our one-night stay didn't afford us much time to explore this Hilton's facilities or nearby entertainment zones, what contact we did have with this spacious, efficient and hospitable property more than met our expectations. Keep in mind that due to its size and international clientelle this Hilton is well-served by the region's taxi drivers, who line up throughout the day and night in their orderly jostling for customers. For us this meant that our rain-soaked, 6 a.m. dash to the nearby national railway terminal wasn't slowed for one extra second while bellmen hailed a taxi. Our room was a well-organized wonder, with sliding privacy panels and a free-standing bathtub (as well as a compact shower). Concierge desk was incredibly helpful in securing our confirmed seat assignments on the high speed train to Beijing, which transports its passengers directly to the middle of China's sprawling, historic capitol (and a huge time saver when compared to typical taxi/air shuttle/taxi logistics).

Room Tip: Ours had a full size bathtub....Ahhhhh!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John V
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Mr. John – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

I am pleased to read that you chose our hotel as stop-over whilst traveling through China. Thank you for sharing your feedback on this website and for mentioning the efficient connectivity to Hongqiao Highspeed Railway station. Indeed, this railway station, as well as Hongqiao Airport (China’s 4th largest) can be reached in 15 minutes by taxi. Our hotel is therefore a great choice for travelers like yourself or for business travelers that need to be in Hongqiao Development Zone or Caoheijing Business Park.

Hopefully you will have the chance to stay in our hotel a bit longer during your next trip to Shanghai. Apart from our oversized bedrooms (>46 sqm / >495 sqft) our hotel offers a wide array of wellness facilities including a gym with TRX equipment, indoor pool and two tennis courts. In addition, we have numerous restaurants and bars as well as an exclusive Wine Bar (Vine) where you can choose from a wide selection of premium wines. I hope we may welcome you in our hotel again soon. Please feel free to contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com if you wish to make your next reservation.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is my 3rd time in the Hilton.
I would rate hotels according to 6 conditions:
1. location
2. Room and facilities.
3. Breakfast
4. Price.
5. Service
6. Overall feeling –would I come back

The Hilton Hongqiao has a good location only if:
1. You are arriving shanghai trough Hongqiao airport (12 minutes by taxi)
2. Doing business in this area
3. Taking the train to other parts of china from Hongqiao railway station
4. Need to visit factories out of shanghai city.

Nearby famous Hongmei Pedestrian Street ( international culture, bars and restaurants and a nice atmosphere.)
2 metro station close by (one you need a taxi the other is 10 minutes walk).
The rooms and facilities are excellent bValue for money is very high and prices are very good if you compare it to any standart.
The gym and swimming pool are amazing.
Service is very good and also very efficient although it is a big hotel with 3 parts, the service everywhere is warm and very friendly.
Breakfast is very good.
The rooms are nice and new.
The overall feeling is very good.
As so – it is a recommended hotel in this area of Shanghai. (I have been in many of them in the past 20 years.)

Room Tip: go to Nearby Hongmei Pedestrian Street - it offers a range of international bars and diverse rest.

Room Tip: go to the Gym and to the pool. the are great.
1  Thank benny-rehovot
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Mr. Benny – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your elaborate and detailed review of our hotel and location. There is hardly anything I can add to your description of our hotel, facilities and location. It is encouraging to read that you enjoy the service provided by our team members, which shows that we are on the right track to achieve our ambition to be the most “guest friendly” hotel in the city!

As you rightly mentioned, our hotel is in an ideal location for (business) travelers working in Hongqiao, or traveling through either Hongqiao Airport or Hongqiao Highspeed Railway Station. On weekdays, we provide complimentary shuttle service to Hongqiao Development Zone and Caoheijing Industrial Park where many (multinational) companies have established their headquarters. Yet, we also welcome many leisure travelers who wish to enjoy our extensive gym, pool and spa facilities or want to play tennis on one of our outdoor courts. In addition, we have a complimentary shuttle bus from the hotel to Shanghai’s key tourist attractions, such as Yu Garden and The Bund.

Once again, thank you for your elaborate review. Please do send me an email (mike.williamson@hilton.com) when you plan your next trip to Shanghai, so I can personally welcome you upon arrival.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice hotel. Good facilities with cleanliness. Overall service is very good. The location is not good enough to cover the brand. Bath room has a little problem. Club lounge has a fairly good service. Fitness center has its role. Room rate is fair internationally, but a little bit high considering other competitions in China. In January and Faburary of this year, I stayed that hotel for about two weeks. So, I was familiar with that hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for staying with us twice in January and February and for your positive comments about the hotel’s facilities and cleanliness. I am pleased to read that you had the opportunity to also use our 400 sqm / 4,305 sqft gym.

The hotel is located in Hongqiao and in close proximity to Shanghai’s major business districts. Besides, Hongqiao Airport and Hongqiao Highspeed Railway Station can be reached within 20 minutes. We also provide complimentary shuttle service to the Bund and Y Garden; please feel free to ask our concierge during your next stay. I appreciate for alerting us for the issue you had with the bathroom. As we are unable to retrieve the information which room you stayed at, can you please send me an email to mike.williamson@hilton.com further elaborating on the issue you experienced? We can then take the necessary action.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

It's interesting to read reviews of this hotel (where I am currently staying), and especially comparisons to Hilton Shanghai, where I stayed last night. I am staying in the Executive Tower (#3) and agree with some of the earlier comments regarding the lounge. The staff at Hilton Shanghai are indeed exceptional (I stay in many hotels around the world and they really are exemplary) but I have to say that in Hongqiao they are very good, IF YOU ENGAGE WITH THEM. They will be extremely helpful but are not necessarily forthcoming - some people prefer that. Being a Gold member Internet is free for me, but the speed could be improved. All in all I am very satisfied with the hotel and it really is quite beautiful. The rooms are indeed spacious and the hotel very clean. I'd highly recommend it to business travellers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, whilst you are staying with us! I am pleased to read that you are a seasoned (Hilton) traveler and that you have been staying at both Hilton properties in Shanghai.

Indeed, the hotel is ideal for business and conference travelers. Apart from the extensive meeting facilities (including the largest ballroom in this part of town), the hotel is also strategically located towards Caoheijing Business Park and Hongqiao Development Zone. Hongqiao Airport and Hogqiao Highspeed Railway Station can be reached within 20 minutes.

I also notice your comment with regards to the service provided in the Executive Lounge versus the service at Hilton Jing’An. Thank you for this valuable comment. Rest assured that we take this feedback at heart and that I will personally look for means on how we can improve the engagement of our team members in the lounge. With regards to the internet speed, I will check with our IT Manager on how we can improve the bandwidth.

As I am unable to retrieve your Tripadvisor profile, I would appreciate if you can liaise with me via mike.williamson@hilton.com while you are still in the hotel, so I can personally welcome you!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Shanghai is a huge city, over 20 million people. And this hotel reflects the rapid growth of the metro area. It's located WAY outside of central Shanghai. There are no shops or restaurants that can be easily walked to, though there is a golf course next door. Service was poor, people seemed much more concerned with having things in order than working with guests. They just were not trained well, again possibly a reflection of the rapid development. I was in the executive lounge and watched as four staff manically straightened silverware on tables while ignoring myself and the other guest trying to get coffee. If you want Shanghai, not a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank DrMarkWMeehan

Dear Dr. Meehan – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your contribution on Tripadvisor and for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. Reading through your comments I notice that your stay was not up to your expectations, for which my apologies. Yet I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your observations.

With regards to the location of the hotel: the hotel is situated in Hongqiao area, which is about 20 minutes drive from downtown Shanghai. Although the hotel may not be “centrally located”, it very much depends on the purpose of visit. Our hotel is in close proximity to Shanghai’s key development zones as well as the Shanghai Hub (Hongqiao Airport and Highspeed Railway Station). As such, it is the ideal location for those travelers taking a domestic flight/train or that are working in the headquarters of certain multinationals. For those guests that would like to visit The Bund or Yu Garden, the hotel provides complimentary shuttle service. Within ten minutes walking distance of the hotel, one will find a wide selection of restaurants, bars (Laowai Street) and sleek shopping malls. Please ask us during your next stay, so we can point you in the right direction.

You also mentioned about the service standards of our team members in the Executive Lounge. Clearly, this is not the service standard we would like to offer in the hotel. Hence, I will discuss this further with the team members involved to ascertain what further training we need to provide so we can improve their engagement with the guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. If you wish to respond to my reply, or if we can assist you with your next booking, please don’t hesitate to contact me on mike.williamson@hilton.com.

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

These kind of hotels make traveling easier.
Check in and check out in a flash. The room was spacious beautiful and comfortable. The bed heavenly concierge just great. Service overall impeccable.
With all my travels very seldom do I come across a Hotel as good as this one and I have stayed in allot of Hilton and other brand hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your great feedback on Tripadvisor. I am truly delighted to read that you had an impeccable stay with us. Indeed, looking at your numerous contributions on this site, I need to conclude that you are a very seasoned (global) traveler who has stayed in many (international) hotels. Therefore it is even more encouraging to read that you “seldom come across a hotel as good as this one”. Rest assured that I will share your feedback to all our team members, in particular at front desk, concierge and housekeeping!

As you rightly pointed out, our rooms are spacious with a minimum room size of 46 sqm / 495 sqft. We are proud to have among the largest guest rooms in Shanghai. I am not too sure in which tower you stayed. The hotel offers three towers, of which Tower 3 is our Executive Tower. Travelers statying here may enjoy an even more spacious room as well as all the benefits of our exclusive Executive Lounge.

I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on mike.williamson@hilton.com if you wish to make your next reservation.