“Amazing, one of the best”

Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao
Ranked #55 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Being a diamond member in Hilton honors might skew my view. This is an awesome hotel. The room was large and very very clean. Staff was great and helpful. The gym was one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel, it was bigger and better equipped than some privately run gyms or chains. Executive lounge was outfitted like no other.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Mr. Randy – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

It is a pleasure reading your passionate comments about your recent stay at our hotel. Given that you are a HHonors Diamond member – and, therefore, are a seasoned traveler – your feedback is even more valuable. Rest assured that I will forward your encouraging note to all team members!

Indeed, our gym is among the most spacious and well-equipped hotels gyms in Shanghai. Apart from a well-equipped workout area, we also offer yoga and salsa classes. There is a boxing area where you can make your exercise even more rewarding. Earlier this year we implemented the latest TRX equipment. Our fitness manager Douglas would be more than happy to assist you and to ensure you utilize TRX’s full potential. The gym is opened 24/7, useful if your ‘body clock’ is still on a different time.

As you mentioned, you stayed in Tower 3, i.e. our Executive Tower. This Tower only features 84 rooms and has a separate entrance, lobby area and reception desk. The rooms in this tower are larger than our standard rooms and ideal for business travelers or for guests that need to stay in the hotel for an extended period of time. In addition, guests staying in Tower 3 have access to the Executive Lounge where we serve complimentary breakfast as well as snacks and pre-dinner cocktails and canapés. During your stay, you may also use one of the two dedicated board rooms in this Tower, of which the first two hours will be free of charge.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Joseph Zitnik

Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Neat hotel, expensive but it is a Hilton! Not near the metro but reachable by taxi and depending on the time of day traffic is not too bad. Arrived late and had room service which was not bad, freshly prepared and tasty. Bed was comfy and room very spacious. Bath in the room is a great idea but there was not enough hot water to fill it past my ankles. My pet hate, in a region where Internet is free almost everywhere, here I had to pay. At the price this should not be chargeable! Had a 10 am flight on a Saturday and Pudong Airport was less than 45 minutes away. Overall a good review!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HanoiHarry
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your feedback and for your valuable comments with regards to your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that – overall – you had a pleasant time and that our facility and services were up to your liking. I do notice, however, that you encountered an issue with the water flow in your bathtub. As I am not able to retrieve your stay details, would you mind to share with me your room number and stays dates? We can then review and ensure this issue will be solved. Please contact me via joseph.zitnik@hilton.com.

Our hotel provides complimentary internet in all public areas. In addition, the hotel features a connectivity station in the lobby that offers PCs a MacBook and printers free of charge. Wired and wireless internet in the room is complimentary for all HHonors Gold and Diamond guests.

Indeed, both Pudong International Airport (45 minutes) and Hongqiao International Airport (15 minutes) can easily be reached from the hotel by means of Shanghai’s main express ways. As you will only encounter one traffic light, the ride is generally very smooth.

I hope we may welcome you to our hotel again soon and I look forward to receiving your email.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is wonderful, we had an executive room, that was huge and the beds amazing. I have not real criticisms, other than it takes a bit of time to get from the hotel to the bund (30 mins in heavy traffic) and other attractions. It is a bit of a distance from the subway, if closer would be perfect (as the subway is the way to travel in Shanghai - cheap and fast, and the ticket machines have an english option).

Breakfast excellent, gym excellent, pool excellent. Would stay there again, despite the travel time in taxi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B

Dear Mr. Chris – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you had a pleasant stay in one of our Executive Rooms and that the bed exceeded your expectations!

The hotel is located in Honqgiao which is among Shanghai’s fastest growing business districts. Many multinational companies have or are establishing their China headquarters in this part of town. It is also in close proximity to the Shanghai Hub (i.e. Hongqiao International Airport and Honqgiao Railway station) from where it is easy to reach the majority of the primary and secondary cities in mainland China. As you rightly mentioned, Shanghai’s main tourist sites can be reached within 30 minutes by taxi (and there will always be plenty of taxi’s queuing in front of the hotel). Alternatively you may use one of our shuttle services connecting the hotel with The Bund and Yu Garden. Our Concierge Lance and his team would be more than happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Shanghai!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The executive tower 3 is interesting to get to from the main lobby, but once there it is an exclusive enclave. The breakfast and evening drinks/food are great. Service top notch. Rooms are great with a comfortable bed and a quiet AC unit that doesn't blow cold air from a vent above the bed like some hotels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MisterPolyester

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

It is a great pleasure to receive your positive and encouraging feedback of your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your feedback on both Tripadvisor and our internal guest survey. Rest assured that I will forward your comments with my colleagues from the Executive Lounge who have given you this good experience!

You stayed in Tower 3, which is our so called Executive Tower. Although this tower is connected to the main hotel building, it operates as a “hotel within a hotel”. All guests staying in Tower 3 (which only features 84 rooms) have exclusive benefits such as access to the Executive Lounge, private check-in and check-out, complimentary breakfast as well as evening cocktails and canapés. We recently changed the evening canapés with a wider selection. I am pleased to read that it was to your liking. Other benefits when staying in Tower 3 are the more spacious guest rooms (59 sqm / 635 sqft) with oversized bathroom and complimentary use of the board rooms (up to two hours per stay). It therefore is the ideal tower for those guests traveling on business or for those looking for more privacy. Nonetheless, all guests staying in the Executive Tower do have access to all the other hotel facilities and restaurants.

I hope to may welcome you back to our hotel soon. Please do feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in making your next reservation, via joseph.zitnik@hilton.com.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. We had one of their 2 bedroom suites, with access to the executive lounge.
The hotel itself is magnificent. Beautifully decorated, spacious, great (though expensive) restaurants, fantastic breakfast. The staff is very, very friendly.
It has one of the best workout facilities of any hotels I've stayed in, a fabulous spa, pool. The executive lounge is a very welcomed break, especially after a long day of walking around hot and humid Shanghai. The drink selection is good, plentiful snacks, and, again, extremely courteous staff.

The rooms were very spacious, and spotless. Very, very clean.

A few things to keep in mind when thinking about staying at this property:
Other than the Pedestrian Street (Laowai Jie), you'll be far away from the main areas of Shanghai. The nearest subway station is a good 25 minute walk. If you are traveling with your family, if there are more than 4 of you, you'll have to split cabs, since it is a maximum of 4 per cab. We are a family of 5 and transportation was definitely an issue. One of the days, it rained a lot. All day. The walk to the subway station was not fun.

The AC in the hotel is kept at arctic levels. It is very, very chilly in there. If you walk in wet from the rain, into the refrigerat... err, Hilton, you'll want to rush to your room and get under the covers. Bring a sweater and you'll be fine.

The wifi is very, very slow. For my work needs it was borderline unusable.

And another minor thing: the lighting in the rooms is weird. Not sure if it is the placement of the lights, how they are directed, whatever. With 3 girls in my party, the complaints were plentiful in terms of not being able to properly get ready in the morning because, "everything looks weird here!". Definitely not a major thing, but something that caught our attention.

These are simply inconveniences that should not detract from the property as a whole. If you are prepared for them, you'll not only be fine, you'll be living like royalty for whatever period of time you are in the Shanghai area.

Last but not least, a big shout out to Mr. Joseph Zitnik, General Manager of the property. We were there on the 4th of July weekend, and sitting at the executive lounge, he heard my kids saying how they missed being home for the celebrations and fireworks. Mr. Zitnik had on of his kitchen staff come to our table with beautifully decorated red, white, and blue cupcakes, with little American flags pinned on top of them. So kind! Thank you, Mr. Zitnik!

Room Tip: Having executive floor access is a huge plus. If not through your HHonors program, pay the extra. It...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pjvieira
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your elaborate review on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to meeting you and your family in our Executive Lounge and I am pleased that – together with my team members – we have been able to give you a bit of a “4th of July experience”. Although the majority of our guests is from Chinese origin, we do welcome many non-Chinese on a daily basis. We try to make them feel comfortable as much as possible (in particular if it is their first visit to China) by either our breakfast offerings, dinner menu and by celebrating their national days.

I would also like to thank you for the improvements you suggested. I have spoken with our IT Manager with regards to the WIFI speed in your room; this has now been resolved. The bathroom lighting is more of a challenge, yet we are looking at ways to make the necessary enhancements in the near future.

You stayed in Tower III, i.e. our Executive Tower. This tower only features 84 rooms and can be considered a “hotel within a hotel”. Guests staying in Tower III have a separate entrance and a private reception counter for check in and check out. In addition, these guests may enjoy breakfast in the Executive Lounge. In the evening, pre-dinner cocktails and canapés are being served. The rooms in Tower III are more spacious and – particularly – the Executive Suites are a perfect choice for those guests traveling with children. This is the room you stayed in.

As you rightly mentioned, the hotel is in close proximity to “Laowai” Pedestrian Street. It is just a fifteen minute walk. This street offers a variety of (Western) restaurants and bars. As no cars are allowed, it is a nice area to relax on one of the outdoor terraces; especially in summer time. If you prefer to stay within the hotel, we offer five restaurants and bars.

I hope we may welcome you to our hotel again soon. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on joseph.zitnik@hilton.com if I can assist you in making your travel arrangements to Shanghai.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed there twice, so far. Same expected quality as most US Hiltons. Minor mold in the showers. Seems to be typical at most hotels in China. Extras (mini bar, restaurant, room service, etc...) have very high markups.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert Keith P
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for taking the time to having completed our internal questionnaire and for having posted your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you value our accommodation. I do apologize for the issue you encountered in the bathroom. I have discussed this with our Executive Housekeeper we will focus more on the cleanliness of the shower cubicles. Thank you for having brought this to our attention.

You stayed in Tower I, which accommodates all our Hilton Guest Rooms. The rooms in Tower I have a minimum size of >46 sqm / >495 sqft and are among the largest rooms in Shanghai. For your next stay, you may wish to consider staying in one of our premium rooms. In Tower II we have our Deluxe rooms whereas we offer Executive Rooms in Tower III. These Executive Rooms come with the executive lounge benefits, i.e. complimentary breakfast, refreshments and pre-dinner cocktails and canapés. In addition, all guests staying in Tower III may use one of the two board rooms free of charge (up to two hours per stay).

Please do let us know when you are planning your next stay with us so we can ensure you will be well-looked after. You may either contact our Duty Manager (as per the email that was sent to you last week) or contact me directly on joseph.zitnik@hilton.com.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Spacious, professional, relaxing, quiet, friendly, delicious food, helpful doormen, great bed, medium level wifi connection, easy access to the city + hong-chiao business area, very friendly and professional staff that even become friends, the staff act on any of your request with speed. Cant wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mathew B
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Mr. Matthew – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel, and especially of my team members who highlighted your stay experience with us. Rest assured that I will share your comments with all my colleagues, particularly with the doormen!

As you rightly mentioned, our hotel is conveniently located towards Shanghai’s main business parks and the city center. For that reason, we welcome both business and leisure travelers. To make your stay even more convenient, we offer complimentary shuttle service to Caoheijing High-tech Industrial Development Zone and Hongqiao Development Zone. There also is a shuttle bus that can bring you to the tourist highlights such as The Bund and Yu Garden. Our Concierge Lance and his team would be more than happy to give you more details.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again soon. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly via joseph.zitnik@hilton.com if I can assist you in making your next reservation.