“Beautiful Business Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 4,967 Hotels in Shanghai
Gold Coast
“Beautiful Business Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

What a beautiful business hotel. I stayed for 5 nights on business and really can't complain much. Breakfast great, bar service every night was great (although expensive), wifi great (although you pay for it in your room).
The hotel is for business. Not great customer service but good enough. Quiet area of Shanghai.

My room air conditioning didn't really work well but it was OK, that's why i give it 4 stars.

Rooms large and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Avoid Tower 1 as there is construction happening
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

I am delighted to hear that our buffet breakfast exceeded your expectations. We recently changed our breakfast variety to ensure we have the most popular breakfast dishes available for our guests from all over the world. With the help of our guests we have put together a breakfast buffet with not a broad Western selection, but also Chinese (from different regions), Korean and Japanese.

The hotel does provide complimentary wireless internet in all public areas. We also have a connectivity station with PC’s and iMac computers that can be used free of charge. High-speed wired and wireless internet in the guest rooms is complimentary for all our HHonors Gold and Diamond guests.

We have noted the air conditioning did not meet your satisfaction during your stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. I would like to assure you that I have discussed your feedback with the department heads concerned, to take the corrective measures for overall improvement.

Once again, thank you for your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Joseph Zitnik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bologna, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Classical Hilton hotel in a big city. Not much to say, if not that if you are looking for a charme hotel, this is not the case. As usual I write the PRO and the CONTRA

PRO
Location: Shanghai is way too big to call a specific area "downtown", but the hotel is conveniently located to reach most of the commercial districts
Room: clean and large. Bathroom with separated bathtub and shower
Congress center: spacious and well equipped for audiovisual
Fitness center: lots of equipments

CONTRA
Atmosphere: very "cold" hotel, with large halls and too many towers. Rooms may be difficult to reach (i.e. you may need to change two elevators)
Breakfast: very ordinary. No fruit salad, limited choice of sweets. "Industrially" made jams and marmalades.
WiFi: as you may know some websites are forbidden in China, but the speed of the wifi in the hotel may be quite low time to time

2 Thank drGaynor
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments are very valuable and will help us to improve the stay experience of our guests. I am surprised, however, to read that you did not find any fruit salad on the breakfast buffet. This is one of the standard items that is always available. Yet, I will discuss with our Culinary Team to see how we can make further enhancements.

Reading through your comments, I understand that your traveled to Shanghai on business and attended one of the numerous conventions we organize at our hotel. As you rightly point out, the hotel is modern and has a vast array of meeting facilities; including the largest ballroom in this part of town (1,706 sqm / 18,363 sqf). As such the Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao is an excellent venue for corporate travelers and meeting attendees.

However, we also welcome many leisure travelers, in particular over the weekends. Our oversized guest rooms are perfectly suitable for a comfortable stay of a family. In addition, the gym, pool, tennis courts, spa and yoga classes offer ample options to relax and unwind.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Being a diamond member in Hilton honors might skew my view. This is an awesome hotel. The room was large and very very clean. Staff was great and helpful. The gym was one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel, it was bigger and better equipped than some privately run gyms or chains. Executive lounge was outfitted like no other.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr. Randy – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

It is a pleasure reading your passionate comments about your recent stay at our hotel. Given that you are a HHonors Diamond member – and, therefore, are a seasoned traveler – your feedback is even more valuable. Rest assured that I will forward your encouraging note to all team members!

Indeed, our gym is among the most spacious and well-equipped hotels gyms in Shanghai. Apart from a well-equipped workout area, we also offer yoga and salsa classes. There is a boxing area where you can make your exercise even more rewarding. Earlier this year we implemented the latest TRX equipment. Our fitness manager Douglas would be more than happy to assist you and to ensure you utilize TRX’s full potential. The gym is opened 24/7, useful if your ‘body clock’ is still on a different time.

As you mentioned, you stayed in Tower 3, i.e. our Executive Tower. This Tower only features 84 rooms and has a separate entrance, lobby area and reception desk. The rooms in this tower are larger than our standard rooms and ideal for business travelers or for guests that need to stay in the hotel for an extended period of time. In addition, guests staying in Tower 3 have access to the Executive Lounge where we serve complimentary breakfast as well as snacks and pre-dinner cocktails and canapés. During your stay, you may also use one of the two dedicated board rooms in this Tower, of which the first two hours will be free of charge.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel during your next trip to Shanghai.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Neat hotel, expensive but it is a Hilton! Not near the metro but reachable by taxi and depending on the time of day traffic is not too bad. Arrived late and had room service which was not bad, freshly prepared and tasty. Bed was comfy and room very spacious. Bath in the room is a great idea but there was not enough hot water to fill it past my ankles. My pet hate, in a region where Internet is free almost everywhere, here I had to pay. At the price this should not be chargeable! Had a 10 am flight on a Saturday and Pudong Airport was less than 45 minutes away. Overall a good review!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HanoiHarry
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for your feedback and for your valuable comments with regards to your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that – overall – you had a pleasant time and that our facility and services were up to your liking. I do notice, however, that you encountered an issue with the water flow in your bathtub. As I am not able to retrieve your stay details, would you mind to share with me your room number and stays dates? We can then review and ensure this issue will be solved. Please contact me via joseph.zitnik@hilton.com.

Our hotel provides complimentary internet in all public areas. In addition, the hotel features a connectivity station in the lobby that offers PCs a MacBook and printers free of charge. Wired and wireless internet in the room is complimentary for all HHonors Gold and Diamond guests.

Indeed, both Pudong International Airport (45 minutes) and Hongqiao International Airport (15 minutes) can easily be reached from the hotel by means of Shanghai’s main express ways. As you will only encounter one traffic light, the ride is generally very smooth.

I hope we may welcome you to our hotel again soon and I look forward to receiving your email.

Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is wonderful, we had an executive room, that was huge and the beds amazing. I have not real criticisms, other than it takes a bit of time to get from the hotel to the bund (30 mins in heavy traffic) and other attractions. It is a bit of a distance from the subway, if closer would be perfect (as the subway is the way to travel in Shanghai - cheap and fast, and the ticket machines have an english option).

Breakfast excellent, gym excellent, pool excellent. Would stay there again, despite the travel time in taxi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Dear Mr. Chris – Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your kind review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you had a pleasant stay in one of our Executive Rooms and that the bed exceeded your expectations!

The hotel is located in Honqgiao which is among Shanghai’s fastest growing business districts. Many multinational companies have or are establishing their China headquarters in this part of town. It is also in close proximity to the Shanghai Hub (i.e. Hongqiao International Airport and Honqgiao Railway station) from where it is easy to reach the majority of the primary and secondary cities in mainland China. As you rightly mentioned, Shanghai’s main tourist sites can be reached within 30 minutes by taxi (and there will always be plenty of taxi’s queuing in front of the hotel). Alternatively you may use one of our shuttle services connecting the hotel with The Bund and Yu Garden. Our Concierge Lance and his team would be more than happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Shanghai!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The executive tower 3 is interesting to get to from the main lobby, but once there it is an exclusive enclave. The breakfast and evening drinks/food are great. Service top notch. Rooms are great with a comfortable bed and a quiet AC unit that doesn't blow cold air from a vent above the bed like some hotels.

Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank MisterPolyester
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

It is a great pleasure to receive your positive and encouraging feedback of your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your feedback on both Tripadvisor and our internal guest survey. Rest assured that I will forward your comments with my colleagues from the Executive Lounge who have given you this good experience!

You stayed in Tower 3, which is our so called Executive Tower. Although this tower is connected to the main hotel building, it operates as a “hotel within a hotel”. All guests staying in Tower 3 (which only features 84 rooms) have exclusive benefits such as access to the Executive Lounge, private check-in and check-out, complimentary breakfast as well as evening cocktails and canapés. We recently changed the evening canapés with a wider selection. I am pleased to read that it was to your liking. Other benefits when staying in Tower 3 are the more spacious guest rooms (59 sqm / 635 sqft) with oversized bathroom and complimentary use of the board rooms (up to two hours per stay). It therefore is the ideal tower for those guests traveling on business or for those looking for more privacy. Nonetheless, all guests staying in the Executive Tower do have access to all the other hotel facilities and restaurants.

I hope to may welcome you back to our hotel soon. Please do feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in making your next reservation, via joseph.zitnik@hilton.com.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. We had one of their 2 bedroom suites, with access to the executive lounge.
The hotel itself is magnificent. Beautifully decorated, spacious, great (though expensive) restaurants, fantastic breakfast. The staff is very, very friendly.
It has one of the best workout facilities of any hotels I've stayed in, a fabulous spa, pool. The executive lounge is a very welcomed break, especially after a long day of walking around hot and humid Shanghai. The drink selection is good, plentiful snacks, and, again, extremely courteous staff.

The rooms were very spacious, and spotless. Very, very clean.

A few things to keep in mind when thinking about staying at this property:
Other than the Pedestrian Street (Laowai Jie), you'll be far away from the main areas of Shanghai. The nearest subway station is a good 25 minute walk. If you are traveling with your family, if there are more than 4 of you, you'll have to split cabs, since it is a maximum of 4 per cab. We are a family of 5 and transportation was definitely an issue. One of the days, it rained a lot. All day. The walk to the subway station was not fun.

The AC in the hotel is kept at arctic levels. It is very, very chilly in there. If you walk in wet from the rain, into the refrigerat... err, Hilton, you'll want to rush to your room and get under the covers. Bring a sweater and you'll be fine.

The wifi is very, very slow. For my work needs it was borderline unusable.

And another minor thing: the lighting in the rooms is weird. Not sure if it is the placement of the lights, how they are directed, whatever. With 3 girls in my party, the complaints were plentiful in terms of not being able to properly get ready in the morning because, "everything looks weird here!". Definitely not a major thing, but something that caught our attention.

These are simply inconveniences that should not detract from the property as a whole. If you are prepared for them, you'll not only be fine, you'll be living like royalty for whatever period of time you are in the Shanghai area.

Last but not least, a big shout out to Mr. Joseph Zitnik, General Manager of the property. We were there on the 4th of July weekend, and sitting at the executive lounge, he heard my kids saying how they missed being home for the celebrations and fireworks. Mr. Zitnik had on of his kitchen staff come to our table with beautifully decorated red, white, and blue cupcakes, with little American flags pinned on top of them. So kind! Thank you, Mr. Zitnik!

Room Tip: Having executive floor access is a huge plus. If not through your HHonors program, pay the extra. It...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pjvieira
HiltonSHHongqiao, General Manager at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Greetings from Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao!

Thank you for sharing your elaborate review on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to meeting you and your family in our Executive Lounge and I am pleased that – together with my team members – we have been able to give you a bit of a “4th of July experience”. Although the majority of our guests is from Chinese origin, we do welcome many non-Chinese on a daily basis. We try to make them feel comfortable as much as possible (in particular if it is their first visit to China) by either our breakfast offerings, dinner menu and by celebrating their national days.

I would also like to thank you for the improvements you suggested. I have spoken with our IT Manager with regards to the WIFI speed in your room; this has now been resolved. The bathroom lighting is more of a challenge, yet we are looking at ways to make the necessary enhancements in the near future.

You stayed in Tower III, i.e. our Executive Tower. This tower only features 84 rooms and can be considered a “hotel within a hotel”. Guests staying in Tower III have a separate entrance and a private reception counter for check in and check out. In addition, these guests may enjoy breakfast in the Executive Lounge. In the evening, pre-dinner cocktails and canapés are being served. The rooms in Tower III are more spacious and – particularly – the Executive Suites are a perfect choice for those guests traveling with children. This is the room you stayed in.

As you rightly mentioned, the hotel is in close proximity to “Laowai” Pedestrian Street. It is just a fifteen minute walk. This street offers a variety of (Western) restaurants and bars. As no cars are allowed, it is a nice area to relax on one of the outdoor terraces; especially in summer time. If you prefer to stay within the hotel, we offer five restaurants and bars.

I hope we may welcome you to our hotel again soon. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on joseph.zitnik@hilton.com if I can assist you in making your travel arrangements to Shanghai.