“Very horrible service from the manager/staff.”

Ibis Shanghai Yu Garden
Ranked #1,966 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is the most horrible ibis chain we are stay.
The manager gave us very bad service and treats.
Staff doesn't speak English and you feel are not welcome.
The hotel smell and people smoke inside.
Location no bad but the hotel it's very expencive.
The good no good
Tv only in Chinese
Prostitute know on the door at 3 am and leave business cards.
Very bad organization, we never stay again there.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank dylan d
There are newer reviews for Ibis Shanghai Yu Garden

Reviewed 13 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Driscole
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in March 2013 and stayed again now in April 2014. What a decline!
Hotel service has dropped considerably from being average Chinese-style to now being barely above ignorant... The reception couldn't recognize our reservation (we traveled 7 people as a group) and was very reluctant in giving the correct rooms. Actually they never managed, but after many discussions at least provided an adequate fourth room.
Breakfast is not bad, and this could save Ibis the designation of "poor" in stead of "terrible". But no: On certain days the hotel decides to open up all floors to some kind of jade market, resulting in smoking people everywhere and hotel security being non-existing.
When checking out you can leave your baggage at the front desk, and if you're lucky, it is there when you return. Nobody's watching it...
OK, the rooms were not dirty and the beds were made all days. But sloppyness is the first word that comes to mind.
And then I haven't mentioned the unsolicited business cards from the sex industry. They are not uncommon in Chinese hotels - and the excuse from the reception was that they couldn't control it since everybody could just walk in from the parking basement and take the elevator up to the rooms... Oh thank you for that :-(.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mkabell
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hi, me and my girlfriend would like make a complain about treats from the manager of Yu Garden Ibis in shanghai. On the date my girlfriend book a room for me because i just came back from a treatment at the hospital and i need to go back the day after in the morning.

The manager treat my girlfriend like a prostitute asking personal question about us and why she want a business room only because she 's younger then me ( we are together for one year) and also treat me like a criminal and very razist to me and she said for security i can't go on the room with out passport and if I'm not happy i can go back to my country.

I told her i live 1 hour from there and my friend will bring it in 2/3 hours. She treat me again very bad. So, I went pick up my passport and spend 177 RMB taxi to go and come back. I gave the passport at the reception and the receptionist broken the first page of my passport. All night we had prostitute came at the door and know the door and leave some business cards.

My girlfriend ( she's chinese) cry for all night for the treatment from the manager and put our relation ship in danger because she younger then me and felt very bad for what happen. Now, I asked the immigration about my passport and they said i need to make a new one because that one is damage plus I went to a police station and a lawyer to ask about the treats we received from the manager. My question is: Thats how IBIS HOTEL treat people??? I know the old manager Fergus and he was so good guy. We are going to claim the manager for personal treats and been racist plus we will put all what happen to every single website and social networks. what happen its very very BAD!! from Facebook to VK ( russian face book) plus twitter, we chat and weiboo and Tango we will share what happen there. You done a bad job Guy Manager.

Receptionist = bad
Value= if you look around you can found better deal and clean place
Sleep quality= all night prostitute knocking on the door and leave business cards plus very noise walls
Cleanliness= no clean like a normal Ibis in europe
Location= good
rooms= terrible, smell smoking and not clean, bad view
Rates from a travel for 20 years and 82 country= ZERO !!!!!!!! THIS IS THE MOST DISGUSTS IBIS I EVER SLEEP!!!

Room Tip: don't book here you lose your time, money and patience. The guy Manager Irven is very arrogant p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrvenLesbo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We were booked in to stay here for three nights. It only took a couple of hours to decide to check out. There issues at check-in as we were initially given a room without a bathroom sink. Housekeeping and maintenance argued about it in front of us. We said it was ok and took our bags downstairs to another room where my Mother-In-Law was staying. She had already experienced shouted and all sorts of goings on. Eventually a room was sorted for us. The constant noise of people shouting and smell of cigarette smoke was incredible. We decided to go for a walk and seek alternative accommodation. on leaving the hotel i bumped into the manger and expressed my disappointment. She was most apologetic but did little to rectify anything. So much for the 15 minute guarantee. We had to stay the first night and again the rabble continued. The following morning we went for breakfast and noticed rooms open and merchants selling Jade which was spread out on the beds. Cigarette butts were plentiful and were carelessly stubbed out on the floor in the hallway and in the rooms. I have never seen a hotel like this ever and as an Advantage Plus Member am very surprised it is part of the group. I would also like to know when or where the hotel photos were taken. The hotel is a far cry from that advertised. The stall we did speak to were all very polite especially the girl who checked us in who was called Rosy from memory.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel?
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TonyRotoruaNZ
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I won't rehash what all the other negative reviews have said, but they're all true -- smoke everywhere, rude staff, dirty rooms, jade merchants yelling and hocking up their lungs at all hours, prostitute cards under the door every night. It is located in a gritty neighborhood that happens to have a prime tourist spot in it. Unfortunately, that means constant traffic and touts at your doorstep day and night.

It's just a serious let-down, as I've been satisfied with every other experience at every Accor property where I've stayed elsewhere. Ibis is Accor's good budget brand, with clean, modern rooms and amenities, courteous staff and decent locations. See my reviews of Ibis properties in Seoul and Hong Kong to understand what they are like. This property, however, is neither well-located, well-staffed, clean or well-kept. And frankly, the shenanigans with the jade vendors and hooker cards makes it unsecured, to boot.

I'm almost certain that Accor managers have never been by to inspect this property, secret-shopper or undercover-boss style. Heck, I doubt the staff would do much to change things even with fair warning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo