“Creaks and Groans”

Ranked #78 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 5 April 2012

When I read some of the reviews I wonder if we are talking about the same hotel. The hotel is situated in more of a residential area than downtown but that’s not such a bad thing as the Hailun Road tube station is just across the road and its only two stops to Nanjing Road east.

This was my fourth trip to Shanghai but first time to this hotel., I like to walk around and be among the Chinese people as they go about their daily lives and this is a good place to do that. I found a good laundry just around the corner and bought some fruit from a local store.
The check in at the hotel got me on the wrong foot I suppose. The large foyer lacked any atmosphere and when I asked about internet access they said there was internet but if I wanted wifi I would have to upgrade my room. We sorted that out without any further costs but I just felt like it was a ploy. I had two, wheeled suitcases and with a long walk to my room from the elevator the deep piled carpet made it quite difficult to move the suitcases which I know is only a small thing but annoying none the less.

The room was on the 21st floor of a 38 storey building. The bathroom was quite large with a freestanding claw leg bath. The open shower was quite close to the bath which meant that whenever you had a shower the bath got splashed which I felt was a poor design. Now, from the bedroom you have a full view of the bathroom through floor to ceiling clear glass panels. I couldn’t help thinking how would this work if I had been here with my adult daughter as I had been in Malaysia the week before. It was some time before I discovered an unmarked remote control on the wall which lowered venetian blinds to the floor but this process was quite slow. The hot water took some time to come through to the shower head but the pressure was ok.
Not long after I arrived in the room I noticed noises which seemed to me to be like something structural under stress like wall cladding or glazing panels expanding or contracting. While these noises varied in intensity some were very loud indeed and occurred every minute or so. My home city of Christchurch, New Zealand has recently suffered a disastrous earthquake and the noises I was hearing were disconcerting to say the least. I tried to ignore these noises and as I was quite tired after a long flight I decided to ly down for a rest. Whenever I dozed off the noises would wake me with a sharp cracking sound. I decided to call reception and tell them I could not stay in this room. They told me that there was work being done on the air conditioning and they would move me to another room in the same position on the 29th floor. While there was an improvement up on 29 there were still the same type of noises and I suspect that they have some sort of problem with cladding, glazing or framing.

On the first night I went to the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. At the risk of sounding like a perpetual moaner (which I am not, see some of my other reviews) I am sorry to say I was not impressed. No atmosphere, food average, service average.
I did use the main restaurant for breakfast every day and the layout was awkward in a U shape while the service was never with a smile and very ordinary. On one occasion I was shown to a seat at a table and then when I returned from getting my cereal and fruit someone else had been shown to same seat. The selection of food was only fair in my view.
If you haven’t gathered by now, I was quite disappointed in this hotel. The structural noises aside, I think there is a lot of room for improvement to bring this hotel up to true international standards. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in was the Sheraton in Saigon and I have stayed in others in various cities, so I assumed that the standards would be similar. Whether or not I have compared it to the wonderful hotel I stayed in the week before and that has influenced my view, I don’t think so. I have asked myself once again if I have given the Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou a fair review and the answer is yes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank tickitoff
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear tickitoff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. First of all I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience at our property. Would it be maybe possible that you could drop me an email so that I could get back to you in order to get some more details.

I really hope that we can welcome you back and show you our Sheraton hospitality.

Looking forward to get in touch with you.

Regards

Nitin

nitin.abbi@sheraton.com / 0086 158 0070 9789

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is our first time to this hotel , the property has a great location as it's about 10 minutes drive to the Bund using the underground tunnel and about 30 minutes drive from Shanghai HongQiao Airport. Upon our arrival, we were greated by a bellboy who assisted to open the car door but further assistance wasn't offered and he was rotating some cards on his hand waiting for us to get off.

At the check in counter, there are no eye contact nor greetings from the staffs. There is a group of 3 staffs chatting and laughing among them and looking at the screen on the other counter.While another lady was busy typing on her phone with her body lying against the counter. Not a very professional scene to watch at all.

The room are spacious and comfortable but we encountered defects on our toilet bowl as we can hear the water in the tank filling up for hours. The water preasure of the shower head was average. We constantly could hear a "tick" sound coming from the bathroom which we have no idea what caused it.

We also dine in for the Dim Sum and the food was average in term of taste and presentation. I could get better quality of food in Crystal Jade Restaurant But the staffs are quite nice and friendly although we oversee a staff playing games (Farmville etc) on the pc as the screen was facing us.

Overall, there is so much more room for improvement and i do look forward that these will change the next time we stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Littlewormmy,

Thank you for your comments and at the same time I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences which you had at our property. I really do believe that the first impression is crucial in our business and hence the check in process has to be at a superior standard. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I can assure you that we have addressed these issues internally and we have already taken some actions.

I would be grateful to you if you could drop me an email so that I could get some more details.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future and personally I would like to look after your well being.

Nitin

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is a modern, high quality hotel. The room was spacious, and very well appointed. The front desk was most courteous, and had good English. They provided a useful card in English & Chinese with the hotel address & phone number - this is so useful in event of getting lost, and I would have appreciated it from other hotels in China! It even had a list of possible destinations & a small neighbourhood map. The breakfast buffet was almost too long to get around - it had Western and Chinese food. The hotel is well located close to the city centre and just across from a subway station.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank ChrisOntario.Canada
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear ChrisOntario.Canada,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.com. Our rooms are spacious and the modern design definitely gives the room a special touch.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again, so that I could personally take care of your room allocation.

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Big thanks to sheraton hongkou team. Excellent service. Thanks to the small dutch guy in the restaurant who have given me outstanding service. Other staff very polite and friendly. A great escape from my hectic life. I felt so welcome here. Fabulous fabulous will definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard K

Dear Richard K,

Thank you for sharing your experiences during your recent stay at our property. It is really good to see that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to go the extra mile.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Never having been to China before, this was a wonderful first experience. The hotel itself was very good. I felt very welcome there and there service was great, I had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear mai b,

Thank you for the comment and we all are glad that we were able to impress you.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Our group of four including my wife and my brother in law and his wife, had a great time in Shanghai. We were warmly welcomed by the office manager, Raymond Xu. We had a great room overlooking the river and the city. The windows open up to a spectacular view where you can see several people doing tai-chi early in the morning amid the runs of the subway trains nearby. The concierge comes up to you everytime you walk up to the lobby and asks if there is anything they can do for you. They are very helpful especially if you want to find an address or just a place to shop. The breakfast menu, though needs to be improved. The bed is cozy and makes me want to stay longer in bed. When I go back to Shanghai, I will definitely go back to Sheraton Hongkou.

Room Tip: We had a corner premium room on the 15th floor. Its got a very nice view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JunOfCebuPhl

Dear JunOfCebuPhl,

Thank you for your review and I have passed your great comments to Raymond as well! Raymond is well known for going the extra mile and he is really setting an example for others.

Please let me know whenever you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

In connection with a group touring several cities in China my wife and I recently had an enjoyable four night stay at the Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou. The hotel can be considered luxurious, possessing typical high quality amenities one might expect of many Sheraton properties.

Included with our reservation was an extensive daily buffet breakfast offering both Western and Chinese fare. The large guest room was equipped with a flat paneled HD screen offering numerous foreign language stations. The English language channels included CNN Int’l, BBC, HBO, ESPN to list just a few. A separate bath area provided privacy as desired.

A well equipped gym area, large size pool and jacuzzi are located in the basement level. The lobby area includes a section with several computer stations allowing for complimentary internet access. A conveniently located subway station is across the street from the hotel entrance and has inter-connecting stops for two of Shanghai’s current eleven lines. This gave us inexpensive access to just about all city neighborhoods a visitor may wish to reach both within and outside Shanghai city limits – including the two international airports. As others have noted we also received much appreciated hotel services extended by the personable Mr. Nitin Abbi, hotel Guest Service Manager. The friendly hotel staff was accommodating and happily assisted us with any questions.

Thank you to those on the staff who personally helped make our stay in Shanghai a memorable one.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear M B,

Thank you for your detailed review on tripadvisor.com. It is good to see that you had a wonderful stay and please be so kind and contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.