“Superb”

Ranked #73 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“Superb”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Its not that close to the Bund or that general area so will mostly require a taxi but thats not a problem in Shanghai. The immediate area here has got nothing going for it with only a small grocery nearby. Hotel staff are very helpful, free internet available in lobby, good qualoity rooms and a great nights sleep is available. Fabulous breakfast with a huge selection and even had buffet dinner in hotel one night (I seldom eat in hotel other than bfst) and that was very very good. Food here overall is top quality.
The price is not that bad by Aussie standards say AUD150 per night for premier room.
Loved Shanghai by the way - China's best city for what I've seen so far (not been to Beijing yet) but still need the written instructions for the taxi so don't expect the driver to speak English.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Dear SidneeMan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on tripadvisor. It is good to see that you enjoyed your stay and your valuable comments indicate that we are on the right track.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

nitin.abbi@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Yes, I hardly believed it myself! I've been in Shanghai many times and while most of the hotels I've stayed in there, this is the first time I've stayed in one in such a quiet area! It seemed that this was one of the older areas of Shanghai away from the glitz and glamour but still close to the Bund and was really peaceful walking around the peaceful streets around the hotel.

The Guest Services Manager, Nitin was absolutely superb! So helpful and friendly! There was a massage chair in the lounge which was bliss and i could have stayed in it all night! Another thing that I've never seen elsewhere is the jug of hot chocolate by the lounge door! Just right for a nightcap!

The suite I had was enormous with a huge dining table big enough to seat eight! The bath was one of the largest I've experienced in a hotel!

Great hotel with friendly helpful staff! I recommend this to all and ensure you look Nitin up who will be sure to look after you!

Room Tip: Because this hotel is in a relatively low-rise area, there isn't much to choose form with the vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RayC888
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Dear RayC888,

Thank you for your wonderful comment and it was a pleasure to meet you in our club lounge.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again so that I could welcome you personally and take care of your room allocation!

You don't just only stay here, you belong!

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel during our China Spree tour.
The hotel is very nice. Our room was very comfortable.
The hotel is located near the subway station, so it is easy to get anywhere.
The hotel has a free computer area for its guests. The food for buffet breakfast was very good, especially the pastries. We had fresh muffins every morning.
Everyone is very friendly. I had the pleasure to meet Nitin Abbi, who was very nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BiggestPhilliesFan
Dear BiggestPhilliesFan,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and it is good to see that you enjoyed your stay and as well to meet you personally.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was in shanghai for 5 nights. The first four nights, i was staying at Courtyard Puxi. I have made the right decision for moving to Sheraton at Hongkou. Everything was excellent except for a small hiccup during checking in. when i booked the hotel, it was stated that wifi is provided, together with king sized bed, TV... etc. However, during checking in, the staff told that wifi is provided but there'll be a surcharge. I find that the official booking website is very misleading and deceiving. In this case, the bed, TV or whatever provided may require extra 'surcharge'?? Luckily, the staff was very nice and she upgraded me to a room with free wifi. Excellent concierge service. Not to mention about the room, it is absolutely flawless! Huge room, huge tub and comfortable bed. The location of the hotel may not be very near to the tourist attractions but subway is just across the street, conveniently bring you to anywhere in the town. I definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good hotel in Shanghai!

Dear Bruce7878,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and I have passed some valuable feedback to the related department heads.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

DENVER
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just finished a week long stay in Shanghai and although I have always loved this city this is my favorite hotel while staying here for the last 13 years. During this time I have stayed at many different levels and having had all the ups and downs of the others and watching Shanghai explode in the last decade I find this hotel to be not only up to date but also very peaceful. The staff is wonderful and the SPG Club on the 37th floor is awesome! The folks that work up there know you by name, always have a smile and best of all provide great service. The Gym downstairs along with the Swimming Pool are terrific as well!

I watched this hotel being built as it's only a 10 min walk to my office and now I'm very happy that I chose to stay here and look forward to coming back on my next stay in Shanghai!

Dear jgoodma,

Trust you are well and thank you so much for your great comments. It is good to see that the girls in the lounge are doing a fantastic job.

As mentioned to you personally, please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Good solid hotel in great location. Great executive lounge - chap running that takes it really seriously (never really seen that before) and makes you feel so welcome every time you come in and even facilitates a bit if informal networking amongst guests (but not in a way that is at all intrusive). Amazing bloke - worth going just for that, really (if you get the chance to upgrade, then it's so worth it). This stuff matters when you're travelling on business, which is why I'm writing this review.

Room Tip: Get into the executive lounge (see above). And get a Bund view if you can - amazing to wake up and s...
1 Thank Caloobrus
Dear Caloobrus,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment on tripadvisor and as well many thanks for your kind words regarding the lounge and myself!

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again since I would like to take care of your room allocation personally.

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Very large bathroom, spacious room. super comfortable bed. Breakfast in the club lounge was excellent. Great views of the city. Very convenient to the popular sightseeing spots. Concierge very helpful. My only complaint is the lighting over the sink is terrible. Taxis are cheap, but if you want to go metro it is right across the street.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dorothy96734
Dear dorothy96734,

Thank you for your valuable comments and it is great to see that you had a wonderful stay.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again!