“The hotel is wonderful but my room is uncomfortably hot”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #77 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“The hotel is wonderful but my room is uncomfortably hot”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Hi, I was in between two work engagements in Asia, so I decided to spend the weekend in Shanghai to decompress. I have nothing but good thins to say about the hotel except that my room was way too hot. I complained and they gave me two other rooms that were equally hot. They turn the ac off during the winter and they are pumping heat into your room wether you like it or not. It is a cultural difference, 95% of the patrons I saw here were Chinese and in this parts of Asia they love heat during the winter, nothing wrong with that but I need a cool room to sleep properly, to me, wether is the summer or the winter 23c is a perfect temperature. I checked the temperature with my watch and it was 29c, I was sweating and they give you a thick down bed spread without sheets. I did not rest at all. If I could have opened the window it would have been ok, but you can't open the windows. I checked out and went to the Hilton by the Jinhan temple and i slept for ten hours in my cool room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Spaniardgipsy
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Spaniardgipsy,

Thank you for your recent visit to Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We're sorry to learn of your unsatisfactory stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we continue to evolve the hotel service and facilities, and your comments have been forwarded to relevant departments for their attention. We sincerely hope that you would consider a second visit so we can show you our improvement.

Joyce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kunming, China
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed for 2 days in this hotel. Clean& modern Sheraton style hotel. Well placed and nice view in room. And the staff really care what u need and what u like. And I like the bed very much. Warm and comfortable, I sleep very well!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear zola x,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Sincerely hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel. I was quite disappointed with the attitude of the staff who appeared to be rather disinterested.
I found the Chinese restaurant and all day dining restaurant to be very expensive and the food barely edible.
The spa on site was also disapointing with staff really going for the hard sell. I paid aroud 4 times the going rate for a massage.
Location is not the best although it's a short taxi ride to the Bund the local area has very little to offer.
As a SPG gold member I was expecting the first class service I usually receive at other SPG locations but sadly this was not the case.
This is the first and last time I shall be visiting this particular hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Travellerfromuk45
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Travellerfromuk45,

Your comments on our services are valuable for us, and will be passed on to relevant departments for their attention. In the meantime, we sincerely hope to welcome you back for a better and improved stay experience with us!

Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights during a business trip, its clean, rooms are good, service good, not advisable for a holiday hotel I imagine. Breakfast is a 'bun fight' and fairly rough in and out service. No room for individualism here I am afraid. Buts its an efficient hotel other than that.

Room Tip: Not sure as only tried one room, which was an office type layout so very nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PeterJane02
Dear PeterJane02,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Your comments on the breakfast and service are well noted. We will pass the comments to relevant departments, and we sincerely looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Encinitas, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were part of a tour group staying at this hotel for four or five days before departing for Beijing. We arrived rather late in the day, room keys were issued, we found our room and began to unpack, only to find that among other things there was no safe in the room. A call to the desk prompted rapid action which ultimately resulted in an upgrade to a lovely room on the executive floor with a splendid view of the Bund and the striking Shanghai skyline.

The location of the hotel was ideal, relatively close to the Bund and right next to a Shanghai Metro line that rapidly connects you to all points of the city. The hotel appeared to be situated in an attractive residential neighborhood. It’s design and integration into the neighborhood resulted in feelings on our part of comfort and well being.

The clean, spacious room on the upper floor was exceptional with a great view of the city and offering great privacy at the same time. It had not only a fully functional safe but a number of first class amenities that we were happy to acknowledge. The magnificent rain shower was a most welcome sight after a full day of trudging the city, observing the sights. Beds were suitably hard and most comfortable resulting in a sound sleep for each of us.

Breakfast each morning at the spotless 2nd floor restaurant was a wonderful experience offering a wide range of well prepared choices for us to start the day on a perfect note.

The hard working, well trained staff, most of whom spoke good English, were always ready to assist us in whatever we asked of them and we have high praise for all the staff folks that we encountered.

We highly recommend the Sheraton Hongkou hotel as an excellent one for both leisure and business travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Leonard K,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Sincerely wish to welcome you back soon in the future!

Manila
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in early November. Love the size of the room and the amenities. Very near the metro station and the staff are friendly. Good quality robes and towels but slippers leave much, much to be desired for. The shower and tub amenities are great plus the bathroom size is superb. Quality of the beddings are amazing and I truly had a relaxing stay, some nights i didnt even want to leave the room. Breakfast options in the buffet are great, there was something for everybody. I especially loved the cheese and cold cuts.

Downside: quality of toiletries are cheap. Ive stayed in cheaper hotels that provide better shampoo, soap, etc. the foam bath produced measly foam and was not enough for a bubble bath in the tub. I wish the ipod dock speakers were hooked to the bathroom too. Everytime i made a call to the lobby/concierge, I had to wait to be connected to an English speaking staff. It was okay but sometimes you just expect more from Sheraton. The lobby Bar closed way too early, but the drinks were superb (go for their Long Island Iced Tea). Also the place was a bit disconnected from where all the action is which is good if you want peace and quiet but if you are on a holiday, you would really want walking distance and easy to find hangout places.

All in all, I'd consider staying here again but for the price I would also think about staying in other boutique hotels too. However i just have to say, thank you Sheraton Hongkou because as a solo female traveller, you truly made me feel secure, safe, and relaxed. It was a pleasure staying in your establishment. :-)

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear jeosara,

Thank you very much for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! We appreciate your kind feedback on the toiletries and the staff service. Your comments will sure be passed to relevant departments. We sincerely hope to welcome you back again in the future!

cambridge, ma
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel with an infinity lap pool, extremely nice bath and separate shower, minibar, etc. the buffet for breakfast and lunch were nice and a decent place to have a work event. The staff were helpful. Also, somehow the hotel has gmail, Facebook, nytimes, etc. as opposed to other places in china.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear leighgiel,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.