“Rather meh, but I may give it another try”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #78 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Bali
“Rather meh, but I may give it another try”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had to wait more than 10 minutes at check-in since there were only 2 agents working at front desk and both were attending other customers. Since I am a Platinum SPG member, I went to the 37th floor Club Lounge to check-in. I was upgraded to what they call a Junior Suite (room -02), located on the SPG floor with club access.

Upon entering the room, there was a strong musty smell, as if the room had not been occupied for a while. It was bad, but was not terrible and since I was only staying for 1 night, I did not feel the need to ask for a room change. What puzzled me is they categorize the room as a junior suite. The room is quite large with lovely large bathroom. But there are only 2 tiny windows on each side of the bed with a blank wall where a window would have been. There is no sofa or separate sitting area, but only a lounge chair with an ottoman. Why then call this room a junior suite?

Spacious and all, the bed is also very comfortable. The electrical outlet on the right night stand does not work, but the other one does. The wifi is OK, but very slow on the evening (Sunday night) and was pretty on Monday morning before 8AM.

Breakfast selection is pretty good, although there was only one attendant at the entry and no one was available to show guests to the table. No one came to ask for tea or coffee, so I would categorize the breakfast service as poor.

On the evening I checked in (around 7:30PM), I spent few minutes at the lounge. Some of the food selections were not replenished and there were no labels identifying the dishes. Servers seem to be aloof and no one came to the tables to offer any drinks.

Overall, it's not a horrible experience, so I may give it one more try before deciding to skip this hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
HaoHao L, Online Coordinator at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Louis W

Thank you very much for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel has really gotten busy.

Lobby was filled, and lines were long. However Elaine at check-in, although flustered and stressed mustered a smile and made my stay a pleasant one. I booked a non-smoking room and she notified me that there was no suites available. However she looked once again and found a smoking-room suite and asked if I would like it. I took it because I wanted the dining table to work on. That was already a big win.

Before I proceeded to the room I also inquired about food nearby as the area does seem dead. She inquired on the type of food I wanted and I was craving for some Shanghai local delicacies. When i got to my room she notified me that they were not delivering as it was raining. No problem as it was close to "Happy hour" at the lounge.

The lounge was packed and it was nicely decorated. The food provided there was sufficient for a snack and it provided dim-sum and some noodles together with some snacks. There was free flowing wine/beet etc too.

When i got back to my room I received a pleasant surprise. Elaine notified me that the restaurant is now delivering again. She assisted me in the ordering of the food.

This is definitely the type of service any guest can ask/hope for and also the very reason why I would return to this property again.

A bad part to the stay was although there was the lingering smell of smoke in the room, the next morning it definitely smelt like smoke was leaked through into the room. (I know the difference I was a smoker for many years). I am not sure if it was the ventilation system that might be linked, or a leak between the walls? But all of a sudden it felt like someone was lighting up in the room! This woke me from my sleep.

1 Thank BryanHuangPFS
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear BrassBryan,

Thank you very much for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We sincerely appreciate your comments on the service and the room, and for sure will pass it on to our colleagues for further improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Joyce
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou during my visit to Shanghai. in last week of March 2014. This Hotel is very conveniently located and has excellent connections to Airport. The Metro Station is just 2 mins walk from the hotel. The Staff at reception and entire Hotel is very friendly and courteous. The property is maintained at high standards. The rooms where very spacious with all modern facilties. The Wireless Internet speed was very good. The variety of items at breakfast is worth mentioning. I being a Veggie also had lot of options to eat. Overall a very luxurious experience and would definitely like to stay during my next visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which has aview of the Luijazui area. The night view is excellent.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Joyce Z, Macom Coordinator at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Sachin1375,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! Thank you very much for your positive feedback, and we are glad to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We would be more than happy to recommend them to you according to your preference during your next stay.

Sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future for more explorations!

Best regards,
Chennai
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World on our way in to China and stayed at the Sheraton Shanghai Hong Kou Hotel on our way out. We picked the latter as it was cheaper than Radisson during our exit dates. So this hotel we experienced the usual Sheraton comfort. We had wanted interconnecting rooms and had requested the same in advance but still did not get which was a disappointment. The best they could do was give rooms pretty close on the same floor. But I must say the Staff at the Reception were very helpful indeed. Location wise Radisson Blu wins hands down but to be fair to Sheraton, since we had done the Bund area, this was fine as we just took taxis to the French quarter etc. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Banrist

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you very much for your positive feedback.

Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A nice hotel, conveniently located close to the airport, (around 45 minutes) which is a long way away from the city centre, an appropriate place to stay if one is flying out of shanghai or if one is looking for a hotel near the airport.
The hotel maintains a high standard of customer service. The hotel’s staff is polite, attentive and friendly – we really liked them. The breakfast spread was generous and offers enough choices for all palates.
The rooms and bathroom are large and well appointed. While the view isn’t spectacular, the hotel is a short drive away from the Bund, (well depending upon the traffic). This is definitely a recommended hotel, a member of a trusted chain which is also fairly reasonable in terms of rates in an otherwise very expensive city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear KSBan

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Your feedback is very important for us in the future. We'd like to know that you are enjoy our hotel.

Sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Best regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had some issues with the room but the staff resolved the Issue..The Bathroom water was clocked...but the engineering was there as soon as possible...
We were informed about then on going work around the Hotel in advance. The staff was very friendly at the reception and ensured to demonstrate a positive attitude toward hospitality ...

Room Tip: Staff is very friendly and helpful.. They look forward to demonstrate professional and trustful hosp...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Prashant U

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and greatly appreciate your feedback.

And for sure we will share your comments with the team for their attention and improvement.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This large Sheraton Tower is about three years old. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, friendly and professional. The rooms are very nicely decorated in contemporary style and the hotel is quiet. My suite was huge with seperate meeting room/office, two w/c, large bath with TV and walk in shower. Club lounge very nice with views over the city. Japanese restaurant here is also very good. The location is 'local' with some interesting colour rather than homogenised or westernised tourist district. Generally had a really good business stay here and found the facilities , food and atmosphere very good. I would have no hesitation in returning here on future business trips.

Room Tip: Its a tower so there is little traffic noise. Suites are big.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear 4950thatch,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Joyce