“Great hotel, nice rooms Terrible breakfast ”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #80 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are very nice despite I had to change 1 room as it was too noisy from the construction site next door. Breakfast was less than average where no waiters came to check if I needed anything and the buffet was messy and dirty at 09:10 and the breakfast finishes at 10:00

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GTAUH
HaoHao L, Online Coordinator at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Ralph2178

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel!

And for sure we will share your comments with the team for their attention and improvement.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had to wait more than 10 minutes at check-in since there were only 2 agents working at front desk and both were attending other customers. Since I am a Platinum SPG member, I went to the 37th floor Club Lounge to check-in. I was upgraded to what they call a Junior Suite (room -02), located on the SPG floor with club access.

Upon entering the room, there was a strong musty smell, as if the room had not been occupied for a while. It was bad, but was not terrible and since I was only staying for 1 night, I did not feel the need to ask for a room change. What puzzled me is they categorize the room as a junior suite. The room is quite large with lovely large bathroom. But there are only 2 tiny windows on each side of the bed with a blank wall where a window would have been. There is no sofa or separate sitting area, but only a lounge chair with an ottoman. Why then call this room a junior suite?

Spacious and all, the bed is also very comfortable. The electrical outlet on the right night stand does not work, but the other one does. The wifi is OK, but very slow on the evening (Sunday night) and was pretty on Monday morning before 8AM.

Breakfast selection is pretty good, although there was only one attendant at the entry and no one was available to show guests to the table. No one came to ask for tea or coffee, so I would categorize the breakfast service as poor.

On the evening I checked in (around 7:30PM), I spent few minutes at the lounge. Some of the food selections were not replenished and there were no labels identifying the dishes. Servers seem to be aloof and no one came to the tables to offer any drinks.

Overall, it's not a horrible experience, so I may give it one more try before deciding to skip this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Louis W

Thank you very much for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel has really gotten busy.

Lobby was filled, and lines were long. However Elaine at check-in, although flustered and stressed mustered a smile and made my stay a pleasant one. I booked a non-smoking room and she notified me that there was no suites available. However she looked once again and found a smoking-room suite and asked if I would like it. I took it because I wanted the dining table to work on. That was already a big win.

Before I proceeded to the room I also inquired about food nearby as the area does seem dead. She inquired on the type of food I wanted and I was craving for some Shanghai local delicacies. When i got to my room she notified me that they were not delivering as it was raining. No problem as it was close to "Happy hour" at the lounge.

The lounge was packed and it was nicely decorated. The food provided there was sufficient for a snack and it provided dim-sum and some noodles together with some snacks. There was free flowing wine/beet etc too.

When i got back to my room I received a pleasant surprise. Elaine notified me that the restaurant is now delivering again. She assisted me in the ordering of the food.

This is definitely the type of service any guest can ask/hope for and also the very reason why I would return to this property again.

A bad part to the stay was although there was the lingering smell of smoke in the room, the next morning it definitely smelt like smoke was leaked through into the room. (I know the difference I was a smoker for many years). I am not sure if it was the ventilation system that might be linked, or a leak between the walls? But all of a sudden it felt like someone was lighting up in the room! This woke me from my sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BryanHuangPFS
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear BrassBryan,

Thank you very much for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We sincerely appreciate your comments on the service and the room, and for sure will pass it on to our colleagues for further improvements.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Joyce

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou during my visit to Shanghai. in last week of March 2014. This Hotel is very conveniently located and has excellent connections to Airport. The Metro Station is just 2 mins walk from the hotel. The Staff at reception and entire Hotel is very friendly and courteous. The property is maintained at high standards. The rooms where very spacious with all modern facilties. The Wireless Internet speed was very good. The variety of items at breakfast is worth mentioning. I being a Veggie also had lot of options to eat. Overall a very luxurious experience and would definitely like to stay during my next visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which has aview of the Luijazui area. The night view is excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Joyce Z, Macom Coordinator at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Sachin1375,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! Thank you very much for your positive feedback, and we are glad to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We would be more than happy to recommend them to you according to your preference during your next stay.

Sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future for more explorations!

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World on our way in to China and stayed at the Sheraton Shanghai Hong Kou Hotel on our way out. We picked the latter as it was cheaper than Radisson during our exit dates. So this hotel we experienced the usual Sheraton comfort. We had wanted interconnecting rooms and had requested the same in advance but still did not get which was a disappointment. The best they could do was give rooms pretty close on the same floor. But I must say the Staff at the Reception were very helpful indeed. Location wise Radisson Blu wins hands down but to be fair to Sheraton, since we had done the Bund area, this was fine as we just took taxis to the French quarter etc. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Banrist

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you very much for your positive feedback.

Sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

A nice hotel, conveniently located close to the airport, (around 45 minutes) which is a long way away from the city centre, an appropriate place to stay if one is flying out of shanghai or if one is looking for a hotel near the airport.
The hotel maintains a high standard of customer service. The hotel’s staff is polite, attentive and friendly – we really liked them. The breakfast spread was generous and offers enough choices for all palates.
The rooms and bathroom are large and well appointed. While the view isn’t spectacular, the hotel is a short drive away from the Bund, (well depending upon the traffic). This is definitely a recommended hotel, a member of a trusted chain which is also fairly reasonable in terms of rates in an otherwise very expensive city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear KSBan

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Your feedback is very important for us in the future. We'd like to know that you are enjoy our hotel.

Sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had some issues with the room but the staff resolved the Issue..The Bathroom water was clocked...but the engineering was there as soon as possible...
We were informed about then on going work around the Hotel in advance. The staff was very friendly at the reception and ensured to demonstrate a positive attitude toward hospitality ...

Room Tip: Staff is very friendly and helpful.. They look forward to demonstrate professional and trustful hosp...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Prashant U

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and greatly appreciate your feedback.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the future.