“Lovely park but very exposed”

Happy Valley of Shanghai
Ranked #62 of 1,328 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Happy Valley Shanghai is a theme park consisting of seven themes: Happy Times, Typhoon Bay, Sunshine Beach, Ant Kingdom, Gold Mine Town, Shanghai Beach and Shangri-la Woods. Offering plenty of thrill rides for adults, Ant Kingdom is best for younger kids.
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is lovely park with a great wooden coaster called Fireball. Excellent views of this across the lake. Some other good coasters including the Mine Train and MegaLite. Quite a lot of Woking as it goes in a circle round the lake and very little shade so feels very exposed to the sun and it was very hot when I was there. Hardly any trees in certain areas, unlike other Chinese parks and lots of concrete. Refreshments good but very cold bottles of water in short supply.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This place is a cross between Disneyland and a Six Flags theme park, but being run by the local government, is woefully inefficient and mismanaged. Rides are not very exciting, and half the attractions were closed when we went. Still the main attraction, The Dipper Coaster, was open. It's short, but fun. Nothing else in the park is interesting, and the food is awful. We were done in a mere 3 hours with nothing left to do but go home.

1  Thank 621chrisc
Reviewed 14 August 2013

First of all, avoid weekend and holidays or you will be trapped in long queues! If you go on a working day, you will ride and ride non-stop for the whole day. Now they just open a Water park also that I couldn´t visit, but from outside seems real fun!
The park is nice with some Chinese details that don´t match with the atmosphere but they have the best collection of roller coasters and rides in Asia. I will agree that the operations of this park such as the loading/unloading process of the rides is probably the worst efficiency. They took to long to check everything (I´ve been working for Warner Bros and I can say they are inneficient) and this can affect the safety of the visitors.
Anyway, I will come back again for sure, Monday morning sounds good!!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Compared to Universal Studios Singapore, Happy Valley (Huan Le Gu) offers far more rides, many of which satisfy adrenaline junkies like me. This amusement park is not quite convenient, but my friends and I shared a cab (beware of scammers). Head down there early to beat the queue and go for the rides that you want the most first because when the afternoon comes, all you'll be doing is standing in line for the rides.

As for the safety of the rides, I don't think the amusement park rides are all that safe so.. go at your own risk!

1  Thank Shi T
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I visited Happy Valley with a large group of roller coaster enthusiasts on a tour of South East China. We were very impressed with the coaster line-up which includes a world-class Diving Coaster, a ride called Mega-Lite which has you out of your seat on every hill, an Intamin-designed mine train with steep drops and twists, and one of the best wooden coasters around, Fireball. However, as with many other Chinese parks we visited, they struggle to operate anything efficiently, and long queues can build up even when the park is reasonably quiet.

Having said that, as we were a large group they did offer us the ability to go up the exit of the Dive Coaster and the wooden coaster for a shorter wait, but sadly they then changed their mind on the wooden coaster and so we only got to ride it twice (and the main queue was close to 2 hours despite the park being fairly quiet). This was a shame as I rated the Wooden Coaster Fireball the best wooden coaster we had ridden in China.

The park is a good distance from the city although I gather that it is easily reached by Metro (we had two buses that took us there). We did find the park was more relaxed here about taking cameras on rides, especially compared to other parks we visited, but not sure if they were more lenient as we were in a group of Western enthusiasts. The park is nice and flat so no struggling to climb hills in the summer heat.

All in all a really lovely park, but like many of the large Chinese parks, they do need to learn how to operate the rides more efficiently.