“Shanghai CBD”

Ranked #60 of 1,334 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Happy Valley Shanghai is a theme park consisting of seven themes: Happy Times, Typhoon Bay, Sunshine Beach, Ant Kingdom, Gold Mine Town, Shanghai Beach and Shangri-la Woods. Offering plenty of thrill rides for adults, Ant Kingdom is best for younger kids.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great place for pictures - at dusk on The Bund, with the CBD across the Huangpu River. Then, from the tower in the CBD, across the river to the Bund in daylight.

2  Thank Meladee S

Reviewed 2 August 2014

the park itself is nice, a little far, though, so go early. The lines are long and the employees are inefficient, that makes everything slower. We went in July, in the middle of summer (very hot day, they should have more trees to cool the area), and there were several attractions closed (that made the lines to the ones that were open even longer). When we travel we love to go to local parks, entertainment, I think that lets us see how the people have fun, how they real lives are, as opposed to staying in the touristic areas. Well, this experience showed us that chinese people can be very disrespectful and dirty, they cut in lines, elbow you out of counters, leave lots of rubbish and yell at each other all the time.

2  Thank MariMichelena
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Park is nice and clean, however it's far from the city center by metro, it's crowded and any line takes hours to go through. We simple left the park without going in any attraction. We went on a sunny Sunday, it was hot as hell.

1  Thank Allisson M
Reviewed 18 July 2014

After living in SH for 3 years and wanting to visit the local theme park, I finally made it. So having worked in the THeme Park industry at one of the World's Best and Friendliest and with one of the best new rides in 2013... I have some high park standards.

The ride from my Nanpu Bridge area home to the park took a little over an hour by metro. Line 4 to line 9. Once at Sheshan metro stop there is a bus that will shuttle you to the park or you can rent a bicycle and ride it over to the park. I didn't see where the bicycle parking was at the park or how they were locked up.

Happy Valley did not meet many of the standards I have come to recognize in a high quality theme park.
Ride lines were not run efficiently, Line queues were not equipt with enough cooling or shading devices in many areas of the park while others were drowning in the mist machines, the layout of the park is not clear and very difficult to find your way around from attraction to attraction. The park is in clear need of some major maintenence, chipping paint, cracked walls and damages were clearly visible.
The park employees were friendly, but I didn't encounter any who spoke english and my friend had to translate for them when they needed to talk to me.
One upside to the theme park was the price of their souviners and food. All very -- incredibly reasonable. I am used to being charged outrageous fees for these things but surprised to buy a 20oz bottle of coke for 6rmb. which is more expensive than in the store but still less than the cost of a bottle in the USA so i feel it was well worth the cost.
The rides were fun, but the rollercoasters were lacking in any real big excitement. I've been on over 40 coasters world wide and I can't say those at HV were in my top 10,20 or 30. I did not get a chance to ride China's First Wooden coaster the line was over 3 hour wait and I wasn't going to waste the day standing in line for that, opting to wait until fall when i've been told the lines will die down and be much more managable for the wooden coaster.
The most shocking part of the day was in the water area of the park where there were fountains shooting water out of the ground for children to run through and play. The park where i work in the US has this, but what we don't have are nude children .. ranging from toddler to teen running through the fountanins with no one to stop them. Even the Chinese pointing and seeming to be shocked at the up to 10 naked kids running around the others who remained clothed.. some even wearing rain ponchos over their swimsuits.. I don't get the thinking behind this.

As mentioned earlier.. the lines moved very slowly.. they are not run as efficiently as they could be. Lining up guests when the train is away and being ready to load as soon as the train returns.. Rather they wait until the train is back to let in a new group and then talk and then let them in .. wasting time and making me want to go up and show them how its really done in order to increase the ride occupancy. Also, though the lines were crazy long and there were more trains, only 1 was in operation when they could have made things run faster and made people enjoy the day more. Happy Valley needs an outside trainer to come in and show them how to speed things up. (i will do it -- call me!)

So while its not a park up to the standards I am accustomed, it was an overal enjoyable time and worth a second visit.

6  Thank Ji R
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I went with a group of friends, and it was definitely worth a visit. We went on a weekday, and that was why we didn't have to wait as long in the lines, and we went to almost every ride there was. We loved all the rides but there were some which weren't as exciting as the others. The best one was probably the big blue-red one which had a straight vertical more than 40 m drop which gave you that extremely wonderful dropping feeling. I recommend going for at least 4-5 hours.

1  Thank Allicatty