“Wonderfully New member of the Pale Pink : )”

The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi
Ranked #5 of 5,031 Hotels in Shanghai
Paris, France
“Wonderfully New member of the Pale Pink : )”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I just finished a 7-day stay in the Langham Hongkong when I arrived at the Langham Xintiandi Shanghai for another stop of my business trips in Greater China. I was tired when I entered the signature lily scented lobby, the room was stylish, the bed was comfortable enough (as I'm very fussy about hotel beds, this one passed the test), a good tender surprise in the dark was the automatic night lamp at the bedside lit up when my feet touched the floor at night. I love the Japanese system toilette : ) I ate alone in their Cantonese restaurant after all day-long business meetings, I was born Cantonese and live in Europe, naturally picky about food, have to say it's not as perfect as Tang Court at Langham Hongkon but again: passed the test! : ) Bar has good ambience, Mojito didn't pass my test, the bartender did try twice though, praise for the attitude. The pool was clean and sleek, good for a relaxing 10laps in the evening : )

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kina L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed in a Junior Suite at the Langham, which gave me complimentary access to the Langham Club. I've stayed in many a hotel on the club level, but Langham's was exceptional. They served top shelf liquor, including Champagne (!), during the happy hour and the floor to ceiling windows offered amazing views of Xiantiandi and the old style homes surrounding it. I know a lot of people have mentioned it, but the bathrooms are amazing in the rooms - the heated toilets have more buttons than a remote control! Also, when I made my wake up call, they asked if I would also like a cup of coffee delivered to my door after the call. Motivated me to get out of the plush bed. Exceptional experience, great amenities.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Riley T
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

As a loyal patron of Langham hotels, I was so excited to experience the new Langham hotel in Shanghai. At first, it was great. It looks beautiful, and true to Langham form, there were some really wonderful little surprises in the room. My boyfriends example being the automated and heated toilet!
However, this all went quickly downhill. On our first day, after sightseeing, we entered our room to find that our wet room smelt very strongly of ciggarette smoke (which of course, does have a distinctive smell). We were perturbed, naturally, but decided to let it go. Unfortunately the next day, we came back to find the exact same thing. More importantly, the rest of our room smelt very strongly of my brand new perfume, and I was so upset to find that the majority of the bottle had been used (by the smoker I assume, in an attempt to cover the smell of the smoke). The pinnacle of unfortunate events, however, was when we called the lobby to complain. We were told point blank that we were lying, and must be mistaken because "No one would ever smoke in your room." Someone then came to our room after this call, and when we again informed her of our problems, the response was the same- "No, you are wrong."
I've never been so angry and upset about a hotel before, the perfume was expensive and being told so rudely that I was misinformed was insulting to say the least.
Never again, and I make sure to tell all I know to avoid this hotel as well.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank cdnh88
Langham_Xintiandi, Manager at The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear cdnh88,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit with us. Here at The Langham Xintiandi we strive to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable stay and we take your concerns very seriously. May I ask if you could please contact me directly so that I can learn more about your stay and look into the matter in further detail. If you could be so kind as to contact me via e-mail at christine.zhao@langhamhotels.com marked for my attention with further details and any other relevant information so that I can personally action on your behalf.

Yours sincerely,

CHRISTINE ZHAO
Director of Rooms
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Nice designed building. Unfortunately, that's pretty much it. the rooms are very standard of Chinese 5 star hotels... nothing new, nothing wow, nothing inspiring. In fact, I stayed there when it first opened and the furniture already showed signs of aging. There were glue sealer marks left on the glass doors and the water in the shower was yellowish color for a couple of nights. The breakfast is ok, comparable to other hotels in the same category. The good thing (or the bad thing, depending on how you want to experience Shanghai) is its location. It's across street from Xintiadi, which is a very non-Chinese speaking friendly area. It has all the western restaurants and those cater to western visitors. Overall, I wouldn't stay there again unless it has an amazing deal that I can't refuse.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Santonle
Dear Santonle,

We greatly appreciate the feedback that you have provided and your kind words about this iconic building that was designed to stand as a window into the new China. In fact, each room has a unique window frame and view into new Shanghai. It was also important for us that this innovative, luxury development was able to connect with and respond to the area’s low-rise historic architecture. The hotel rooms themselves were designed by world renowned interior designer Peter Remedios of Long Beach, California taking a very contemporary and modern turn. The intent was to design rooms that are not the ordinary run of the mill but quite innovative and spacious. In addition to the elegant design, all rooms feature complimentary wired and wireless internet, RMB200 daily mini bar credit as well as world-wide complimentary SKYPE phone calls.

The hotel is today arguably one of the best located hotels in Shanghai surrounded by a mixture of the new and the old, exquisite shopping and entertainment. Being located in the former French concession guests also have the opportunity to wander around and experience the historic Shikumen housing.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can assist you with on your next visit to Shanghai. I can be contacted via e-mail jorgen.christensen@langhamhotels.com

Yours sincerely,

JORGEN CHRISTENSEN
Executive Assistant Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This hotel delights and surprises at every turn, but most of all the extraordinary team which genuinely wants your stay to be perfect. From arrival to departure we were made to feel genuinely wanted from the most cheerful - and superbly trained - team of hotel staff I have come across. The rooms are extremely comfortable, the bathroom luxurious, and the amenities exceptional (right down to the very handy stationery kit). Comp fruit, chocolates and mineral water on arrival. Points for frequent travelers: Staff right there on arrival to take your bags from the taxi to check-in (so often I have been left stranded with luggage without a bell boy in sight!), plenty of comp water (6 bottles on arrival plus 2 more after turn down service which was very thorough); proper hairdryer (not one which just hums at hour hair). Soft opening period at the moment, so free internet (very good connection speed), minibar and laundry credits. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Olga888
Langham_Xintiandi, Manager at The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Olga,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We appreciate your kind feedback and it is great to know that all the training that the team has gone through are paying dividends. Ultimately we are very lucky to be working with a great group of people in all areas of the hotel. You are right in that we are on the last few weeks of our soft opening with the following special value added benefits valid until 29 February.

• Complimentary internet throughout your stay
• Daily laundry credit of RMB300 per day
• Daily minibar credit of RMB200 per day
• Complimentary water and fruit on arrival
• Legendary Langham chocolates

We are however pleased to share with you that as of March 1st we are extending the following key benefits to all travellers in recognition of the great value that they offer.

• Complimentary internet throughout your stay
• Daily minibar credit of RMB200 per day

We are looking forward to seeing you again on your return to Xintiandi and Shanghai.

Kind regards,

JORGEN CHRISTENSEN
Executive Assistant Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed there for two days, my family is highly recommend this hotel. The hotel is new and location is in the heart of Shanghai.

• Stayed December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip and would certainly return for pleasure. The hotel was in perfect condition, brand new, great service, and worthy amenities. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and for all tastes. Very nice experience all around.

• Stayed November 2011