“Over the top in a very good way, and ..in a great location.”

The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi
Ranked #5 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Taichung, Taiwan
“Over the top in a very good way, and ..in a great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Langham is coming on strongly to challenge the likes of the "W" and the Ritz Carlton hotel franchises. The W and Ritz should be worried quite frankly. They are building a brand based on opulence and attention to detail especially when it comes to design and materials. If you prefer the clean cool modern feel of a Tokyo Park Hyatt or the Nikko chain then the Langham design philosophy may put you back on your heels. Especially the Langham Xintiandi. This fabulous property located in one of the most vibrant sections of Shanghai is a jewel in a city of tired 10-15 year old properties. From the moment you step through the door you are visually stunned by the intensity of the design, space and materials. This can be a bit tiring to the "no nonsense" types that just want to get things done but if you need a place that truly makes you forget the outside world ( which can happen in Shanghai) then this a great choice. I will admit that check in was very slow on the Thursday afternoon I arrived. I would most definitely like to see a dedicated 1863 ( their club) desk to help speed loyal patrons on their way. However I did finally receive my room key and entered my one bedroom deluxe room. Everything 5 star actually,.especially the shower room, because it is a room. This rainfall overhead shower was actually an amazing experience due to its flow and volume. If there is a water shortage in Shanghai, Langham don't care. The amenities are an Asian brand that is OK, but not as good as L'Occitane or other British brands. Bed was very nice, choice of pillows very good. Smell of room very good. TV control easy to use with a 42 Samsung. The power station was fantastic with many plugs for multiple charging. Internet strong and free. The one odd thing is that the curtain power switch has two settings , open or closed...no in between, so you have to manually adjust them to partially open, Not a deal breaker but a bit odd and annoying. Breakfast fantastic ( even the coffee) but a bit expensive so make sure you get the breakfast package. I am an 1863 member and will stay here from now on in Shanghai.

Room Tip: prepay on line if your plans are rock solid to get @ 20% off ...a huge bargain !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Langham_Xintiandi, Hotel Manager at The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Jetlaggard59,
Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel on Tripadvisor and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the design of our hotel and the luxurious feel of our rooms. I have however noted the delay you experienced on checkin and we will look to rectify this issue with the manager concerned as well as your comments about a designed 1865 checkin counter. We look forward to your return and thank you for your continued support of the hotel.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I think being a 1865 member, I had probably set my expectation a bit too high for this Langham. The truth is Xintiandi Langham probably could use some renovation now. The location is unbeatable of course, but the facilities are a bit worn.

I was not that impressed the moment I walked into the room to start with. Then when I tried to push close the slide door of the bath room, the metal on the handle suddenly got detached and flew out to the ground... Shocking… Following that, I found the bathroom was separated from the bedroom with some thin partition design which could be partially opened. The partition unfortunately is not sound proof at all. It means if one is doing washing there, he/she may disturb the partner who is still asleep in that not-very-big room. When I pushed open the part on the partition which could be opened, alas! again the frame was detached partially and I could see the glue (dried up over the years) inside the structure…

There were some other small details which had made me purse my lips a bit. Langham Xintiandi really needs to make some efforts to impress the guests to Shanghai where they are facing so many more choices than ever before. The above being said, a couple of good points: I was happy with the bed and the buffet breakfast was good too.

One more thing... just a bare fact :))) : there seemed to be more professional girls around the lobby of this hotel than other high-end hotels in Shanghai. I guess it must be because the hotel is right next to the Xintiandi party area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear AYWEN,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor . We are delighted to hear that you were happy with the bed,the buffet breakfast in our Cachet restaurant and our superb location in Shanghai. We do apologize for the issues in the room with regards to the door handle and we will have this rectified. I have contacted you by private email to get further details.
Nevertheless we hope that you will return to The Langham Xintiandi and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.
Best regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Highly recommend this hotel
Right in the heart of the charming part of French concession area
Great area- full of atmosphere and charm
Hotel
Reception staff so welcoming and helpful - nothing too much trouble esp Andrea
Rooms modern light and clean
Eating options in and around hotel are excellent
A great place to explore the exciting city of Shanghai from

• Stayed October 2013
Langham_Xintiandi, Hotel Manager at The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear sueu55,
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel . The team are I are delighted to hear of your comments and for recommending our hotel to others for their stays in Shanghai. We are indeed fortunate to have such an outstanding location with easy access to the rest of the city and the team do strive to ensure all our guests have a delightful stay. We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to Shanghai.
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Since staying here whenever I am in Shanghai, I have not stayed at another hotel in Shanghai. This speaks a lot about the rooms, service, wonderful location and overall stay experience. Overall it's one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Great for business or leisure travel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AndrewQTM
Dear AndrewQTM,
We appreciate your regular support of our hotel and thank you very much for taking the time out to post a review on Tripadvisor. The team and I are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stays and that you have made our hotel your home away from home in Shanghai. We look forward to welcoming you back,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed a couple nights in the Langham Shanghai at the end of April 2014, and I could easily say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!

It has a beautiful atmosphere, great customer service both in and outside your room. The rooms are luxurious and well equipped with great view of the surrounding areas.The location is brilliant for access to shopping malls and restaurants and it is approx. a 30 min walk to the see the great views of the Bund.

I would definitely recommend staying here, I have never previously stayed at another Langham hotel, but based on this stay I plan to take this hotel chain into consideration when booking future trips.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors for a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Rosa_Guianna,
Thank you for recommending our hotel on Tripadvisor and for taking the time to post a review. We are also delighted to hear that you will consider to stay at other Langham hotels when booking future hotels and trips. Our location is convenient to shopping, entertainment and restaurants as well has easy access to other parts of the city via metro or taxis. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.
Best regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was a great choice in Shanghai. It was our first stop on a month-long tour of China. The staff was extremely accommodating and helpful the entire time. This hotel is in a great location since we could either walk or hop on the metro to get any place we wanted. A stay here was the perfect introduction to a fabulous trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex S
Langham_Xintiandi, Hotel Manager at The Langham Shanghai Xintiandi, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Alex S,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you found the hotel staffs accommodating and helpful and the location ideal within close proximity of great restaurants, shopping and the Metro . We do hope to welcome you back again when your travels next bring you to Shanghai.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay and I won't be coming back for a third . The hotel is beautiful with an atmosphere of 5 star luxury and sophistication, however the service is nothing like this . I was told at breakfast that they had no more orange juice ! Please ! They were just about to finish service and obviously didn't want to be bothered with replenishing. Drinks in the lobby on two nights gave shocking service. Waited 25 mins for a drink to be brought with was a second drinks round so our order was in the system . The staff can't speak good English so any complaint or look of frustration as a customer is lost in translation . My colleague had to make 3 choices of wine from the wine menu before arriving at one that they had in stock ! This is shocking for a hotel this pricey and with this reputation . Not happy!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Carole G,
Thank you very much for taking the time out to post a review on Tripadvisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you received during your recent stay with us. The team and I are dissapppointed that this time round we did not live up to your expectations however please be rest assured that these discrepancies will be taken up with the concerned managers and staffs to ensure the issues are rectified and that there are no further repetitions. We know we can do better and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Sincerely