“Beds were great”

Ranked #10 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Indianapolis
“Beds were great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I travel often, Marriott Lifetime Platinum. When I read a single review about the mattress by a traveler like myself, I was concerned since I was with my wife staying at this property.

Having stayed 4 times at the JW at Tomorrow Square, I have a good comparison of each property. The service at the City Centre is much more personalized than the JW. Great location, and great lounge. The manager Adam and his staff could not have been more helpful. Unfortunately, due to a flight cancellation I only stayed one night in a deluxe suite comparable with every other Marriott in China. For a level 4 hotel, there is a great value there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTB2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Good location in town, breakfast was fantastic although some staff training my help. I had a few minor gripes I hate going to use the lobby rest room and having to suffer the intense cigerret smoke from the staff smoking there.
The Chinese restaurant was ok, good value.
Rooms very comfortable I would stay here again

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Kgoughuk
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was impressed with the new Marriott in Shanghai--large rooms, comfortable beds, great service and solid value. Michael Feng, the Chief Concierge, was especially helpful in answering my inquiries by email before I arrived and arranged for airport transfers, private tours and dining reservations during my stay. Check-in was especially easy as we were met at the door when I arrived with the Marriott airport transfer and taken immediately to our room. Breakfast buffet was extensive but ordering a smaller a la carte brakfast can take some effort. Good location close to the People's Park and Nanjing Road shopping area.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet with good views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel came as a great surprise, didnt expect it to be this nice since it doesnt not carry the JW brand.
Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. Things can go wrong easily in a new hotel but everything seems to be working fine. The water temperature at the shower and air conditioning in the room works perfectly. I am a happy guest!

Buffet breakfast was great with good selection. However, the oriental and western counters are so far from each other, its a long walk to your egg station.

Free internet if you signed up as a Marriott Rewards member. (great stuff!!)

Plenty of hotels to choose from in Shanghai but this one certainly comes up tops if they continue to offer great value.

Jefferson, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel is brand new and is very nice BUT it has some serious problems you should know about. As I write this review it is 7:30 in the morning and I can still hear the ringing of building construction across the street. The construction went on through the whole night and there just doing the foundation work. So there another year or two of this, UGH!! Also the beds are the worst I have ever seen and felt in the world. I stay in hotels 120 nights a year and I know hotel beds. You would think a hotel of this caliber would buy decent beds. The beds are hard as a rock. I'm not talking firm here, I'm talking hard and uncomfortable. This is very unusual for a Marriott Hotel because they usually have great beds. I will avoid this hotel just because I expect a decent bed. On the plus side this hotel has finally found a way to heat and cool your room in the winter. This is a serious problem in China as most of the hotels only offer heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. What happens is a warm day in spring you find your room 85 degrees and you're sweating while its is 60 degrees outside. Most hotel in China haven't seemed to figure this out.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. :)
2 Thank csteets
Marriott-CIty-Centre, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your recent experience at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre. We take all reviews very seriously and we'd like to assure you that we are investigating the reasons that let to your negative experience. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used to help us make improvements.“

Thanks & Regards,
Palm Desert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Always sufficient staff available to offer assistance though few were seasoned veterans behind the front desk. On arrival, my hotels,com reservation could not be found so it took 30 minutes to check in and process a duplicate reservation. Probably could have been done in five by a yeoman hotel deskperson. Fine restaurants on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors and Java+ for coffee/pastries off the lobby lounge. Six story atrium lobby-annex area for smokers was nearly smoke-free due it's atrium design. Two blocks from Nanging Rd and Peoples Park. 15 minute walk to Bund and the river.

1 Thank Ned R
singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed in this hotel between 10 April - 14 April 2012 and oh my I don't even know where to begin to detail what a horrible stay I had here with regards to staffs working here. I have not stayed in many Marriott hotels before as I only just recently joined Marriotts Rewards but if THIS Marriott is quintessential of a Marriott property, for sure I will never stay in a Marriott again.

My horrendous stay starts right on the day when I checked in and begins right when my taxi arrived at the hotel entrance (what a great start I know). I only had one luggage with me and when the doorman opened my taxi door and saw my luggage, he walked away. After I paid my taxi fare I was struggling to get out of the taxi with my luggage and he just stood there looking at me without offering any help. After I got out of the taxi, I was standing there adjusting my attire giving him the last chance to do what he was supposed to do, but no he just walked away again without a single word while I carry my belongings with me to the reception.

I thought nothing could get worse than this but wait till you meet the Executive Lounge Supervisor. I had booked an Executive Room with Lounge access and on my last night of stay, I wanted to ask if I can get a late check out tomorrow due to my midnight flight the next day. When I approached the Executive Lounge Supervisor, she happened to be on the phone yelling but she noted me approaching her. I did not want to disturb her on the phone so I walked few steps backward and pretending to be looking at some magazines. She put down the phone knowing I was there looking for her, she did not bother to approach me and continue doing her things. I went up to her and when I was talking to her, her eyes were fixed at the computer and didn't even bother to make eye contact with me. When I told her my request but before I could finish my sentence, she replied abruptly " no....never ever!!!", dismissing me like I am a spoilt little child. I was so shocked about her attitude that at that moment I totally forgot that I am a paying customer, and that I had just imposed on her with her 'busy work schedule'.

I am left speechless while writing this review at the Executive Lounge now with the incident happened just 15 mins ago. I had just moved here from Waldorf Astoria four nights ago so you can imagine what a big contrast I have experienced between this two hotel chain. I even questioned myself what was I thinking booking this hotel in the first place when it is not even in the top list on tripadvisor (sorry tripadvisor I shouldn't have strayed away from you), but I just recently joined Marriott Rewards and was hoping to build a long term relationshiop with Mariott, but apparently this feeling was not mutual.

In a nutshell, would I recommend this hotel to fellow travellers? Umm............yeah it's a really hard decision but I guess if you like to be treated like dirt then you will feel absolutely right in place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Omphaloskepsis
Dear guest,

Please accept ours sincerest apologies for the service level you experienced during your stay with us. We can assure you that this is not the not the normal level of service. We have taken your detailed feedback used it to follow up thoroughly ensuring that your experiences at our hotel are not repeated.