“Unsurpassed Customer Care and Service!”

Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #10 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Mission Viejo, California
“Unsurpassed Customer Care and Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I would like to bring to your attention the outstanding service I received
from your staff during my stay at the Marriott Shanghai City Centre. I am
an Executive Chef for Mood For Food Inc. and was in China for business to
present new concept menu items. I was having problems locating various food
products in the local market and asked if there were any markets close by
that I can shop at. Justin Jin, the Night Manager was so helpful that he
asked Allen, one of the concierge, to assist me by not only pointing me in
the right direction but he also accompanied me to the market to act as my
translator! Needless to say, this service was more than I expected and was
greatly pleased and impressed with your staff. There were a few items I
could not procure and again Justin saved the day by introducing me to Chef
Alex Fu who was also extremely helpful and procured those items for me! The
presentation was a success thanks to all the great staff I met during my
stay. Justin, Sammy, another manager, Chef Alex, Allen, the concierge, even
followed up and wanted to know how our presentation fared. The level of
service these people provided was unsurpassed and the true caring attitude,
I have never experienced staying at other hotels. I usually stay with
Fairmont Hotels when I travel, but if this is how all Marriott Hotels treat
their guests, then I will definitely choose to stay at a Marriott Hotel
above all others. I can't express my gratitude enough to Justin Jin and the
rest of the staff at Marriott Shanghai City Centre.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I travel often, Marriott Lifetime Platinum. When I read a single review about the mattress by a traveler like myself, I was concerned since I was with my wife staying at this property.

Having stayed 4 times at the JW at Tomorrow Square, I have a good comparison of each property. The service at the City Centre is much more personalized than the JW. Great location, and great lounge. The manager Adam and his staff could not have been more helpful. Unfortunately, due to a flight cancellation I only stayed one night in a deluxe suite comparable with every other Marriott in China. For a level 4 hotel, there is a great value there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MTB2000
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Good location in town, breakfast was fantastic although some staff training my help. I had a few minor gripes I hate going to use the lobby rest room and having to suffer the intense cigerret smoke from the staff smoking there.
The Chinese restaurant was ok, good value.
Rooms very comfortable I would stay here again

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Kgoughuk
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was impressed with the new Marriott in Shanghai--large rooms, comfortable beds, great service and solid value. Michael Feng, the Chief Concierge, was especially helpful in answering my inquiries by email before I arrived and arranged for airport transfers, private tours and dining reservations during my stay. Check-in was especially easy as we were met at the door when I arrived with the Marriott airport transfer and taken immediately to our room. Breakfast buffet was extensive but ordering a smaller a la carte brakfast can take some effort. Good location close to the People's Park and Nanjing Road shopping area.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet with good views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel came as a great surprise, didnt expect it to be this nice since it doesnt not carry the JW brand.
Rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. Things can go wrong easily in a new hotel but everything seems to be working fine. The water temperature at the shower and air conditioning in the room works perfectly. I am a happy guest!

Buffet breakfast was great with good selection. However, the oriental and western counters are so far from each other, its a long walk to your egg station.

Free internet if you signed up as a Marriott Rewards member. (great stuff!!)

Plenty of hotels to choose from in Shanghai but this one certainly comes up tops if they continue to offer great value.

Jefferson, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel is brand new and is very nice BUT it has some serious problems you should know about. As I write this review it is 7:30 in the morning and I can still hear the ringing of building construction across the street. The construction went on through the whole night and there just doing the foundation work. So there another year or two of this, UGH!! Also the beds are the worst I have ever seen and felt in the world. I stay in hotels 120 nights a year and I know hotel beds. You would think a hotel of this caliber would buy decent beds. The beds are hard as a rock. I'm not talking firm here, I'm talking hard and uncomfortable. This is very unusual for a Marriott Hotel because they usually have great beds. I will avoid this hotel just because I expect a decent bed. On the plus side this hotel has finally found a way to heat and cool your room in the winter. This is a serious problem in China as most of the hotels only offer heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. What happens is a warm day in spring you find your room 85 degrees and you're sweating while its is 60 degrees outside. Most hotel in China haven't seemed to figure this out.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. :)
2 Thank csteets
Marriott-CIty-Centre, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with us your recent experience at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre. We take all reviews very seriously and we'd like to assure you that we are investigating the reasons that let to your negative experience. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used to help us make improvements.“

Thanks & Regards,
Palm Desert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Always sufficient staff available to offer assistance though few were seasoned veterans behind the front desk. On arrival, my hotels,com reservation could not be found so it took 30 minutes to check in and process a duplicate reservation. Probably could have been done in five by a yeoman hotel deskperson. Fine restaurants on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors and Java+ for coffee/pastries off the lobby lounge. Six story atrium lobby-annex area for smokers was nearly smoke-free due it's atrium design. Two blocks from Nanging Rd and Peoples Park. 15 minute walk to Bund and the river.

1 Thank Ned R