“Great location,extremely helpful and friendly staff”

Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #13 of 5,137 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Location is great!! Rooms are good with great view !! Staff is extremely helpful and friendly!! They are there at every step to guide you!! Buffet breakfast spread is also great even for vegetarians !! Would definitely like to stay again!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pradeep2817
Marriott-City-Centre, Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Warm greetings from Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre! Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the view from your guestroom as well as buffet breakfast provided in our City Bistro. We would look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you again for your encouraging feedback.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had business meetings here over the weekend and the staff was extremely helpful. The rooms on the executive level were well appointed and the staff in the lounge excellent as always.

The hotel is located only 2 blocks from Nanjing Road East - a pedestrian only area with lots of shops and restaurants. Great place to walk and just people watch, but if you're a business guy alone, the touts trying to sell you goods or services is beyond belief - so be careful. But ignoring them, it's really fairly safe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre! We are thrilled that you chose to stay with us during your business trip.

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with other travelers regarding our property and location. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you plan to return to Shanghai in the future. We would look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I give this property a 4 star rating (actually 4.5) Location is great!! Rooms are nicely appointed, service is superb.

However, fellow business travelers should know the following: The executive lounge needs to change the name to just lounge. It is not solely for those of us who travel for business and need a place to relax and unwind anymore. These so called executive lounges have become available to anyone who's willing to pay for them and I understand this, but it is diluting the meaning and integrity a bit. When there are 10 to 30 kids running around at dinner time, it is no longer an executive anything anymore. Especially, on the weekends especially be forewarned about this as the flood gates open and it's Romper Room up there.

So a family pays a little extra and the entire family gets to eat and drink for free? Whereas a single business traveler pays the same rate, but there is only one body to feed. Seems like Marriott could solve this by making the families pay a surcharge for "extra" guests or lessen my fee to put up with the noise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Warm greetings from Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Upon reading your review, I was concerned to learn that your experience fell short of Executive Lounge. Your feedback has been shared and discussed among related department managers who appreciate your detailed comments.

If you return to Shanghai in the future, we would look forward to an opportunity to welcome you again so that we may deliver an excellent hotel experience. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if we may be of further assistance. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for all my Shanghai trips. The service was great, location couldn't get better. And my last stay was made even more exceptional, being upgraded to one of its top suites on 37th floor. I was told (at the checkout time) that it was a surprise for my birthday. What a nice gesture, sweeping away my sadness of having to spend my birthday on a business trip. The rooms were breath-taking (see attached photos).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to support Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, we truly aprpeciate that our hotel will be your first choice when you travel to Shanghai. We take guest satisfaction as our top priority, and we are very glad that you experienced so. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fine - not five star and not as nice as the JW of course but nice. The executive lougne is nice and has a nice happy hour spread. My issue is with the Spa. I went there for a neck, head and shoulder massage and was talked into a longer time with the typically aggressive sales techniques you run into in hotel spas in China. She quoted me the extra price while I was undergoing the massage so I agreed but when I checked out it seemed overpriced as she didn't do the scalp massage I had asked for. It ended up being a typical two hour massage which by the price list should have been 1100 rmb. I was charged 1600. The spa concierge could tell I was a little annoyed but I didn't say anything except to ask why I didn't get the scalp massage to which she replied that they decided I didn't need it. Huh? She called me a few minutes later and lowered the price to 1500 which was still quite high from what I could tell by the price list. It just left me with a bad feeling. I would have used the spa more but after that I avoided it.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank mjanerose
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is conveniently located in the center of the city (like what its name suggests). Only a couple years old, with modern decor, very new inside and out. Nice views from the room. I stayed for 20 nights this time. Front desk manager William is exceptional. He is very kind and accommodating, always ready to help, makes you feel welcome. And the staff in the club lounge are friendly and attentive. The food in the club lounge and 3rd floor is of high quality. A lot of imported cheese, and the Italian bread they serve is very authentic. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ying D
Marriott-City-Centre, Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor. The happiest thing for us is to hear that our guests had a enjoyable and comfortable stay in our hotel.

We truly appreciate your compliment about our staff, our associates take great pride in providing a quality Marriott service to all our guests, and your comments will certainly be shared with them, which will encourage them to do better in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon to experience more about our hotel!

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Well located near Nanjing street and Peoples Park. The hotel and rooms are very well appointed, in fact are luxury. The staff are very friendly, very helpful and attentive - all that you expect from a Marriott.

It all comes together in the restaurant at breakfast, the most impressive array of food's both Western and Asian and chefs to prepare anything you wish to order.

Shanghai has 25 million people, is mostly concrete and glass and you'll have to search to find anything original. It's a very expensive place to shop and with constant overcast heavy pollution we found it more like a city in a bad futuristic movie.
So the Hotel became a welcome relief at the end of the day.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre on Tripadvisor. Your very positive and encouraging feedback regarding the hotel is letting us know that you had a comfortable and memorable stay with us and really relaxed yourself in our hotel. We appreciate your support.

For those travellers who are first visit to Shanghai, our Concierge has very considerate city tour introduction serving to our guests only, which will lead them to explore Shanghai thoroughly.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!