“Great location, terrible service”

PizzaExpress (Shanghai Centre)
Ranked #210 of 16,921 Restaurants in Shanghai
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jing'an
Description: Situated inside the Shanghai Portman Ritz Carlton commercial centre – one of Shanghai’s most prestigious and well frequented commercial developments, this restaurant enjoys convenient access from Nanjing West Road with both taxi drop off and car parking facilities. Enjoy the large open dining room or sit on our leafy al fresco terrace looking out over the green trees of Nanjing West Park.
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location, terrible service”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

On my visit to Shanghai, I stayed at the Portman Ritz Carlton.

My colleague and I were in a rush to get to another meeting and we decided to have a late lunch (around 15:00) at the Pizza Marzano outlet within the Portman complex to avoid travel time.

The restaurant was fairly empty at that hour and there were a lot of staff circling around not particularly engaged in specific activity.

We ordered a Rosemary Flat bread as a starter. My colleague ordered a Spaghetti Aglio Olio and I went in for a Pepperoni Pizza.

The Rosemary Flat bread came out fairly quickly. It was very aromatic and very tasty.

After a while my colleagues Spaghetti dish came out. As we were getting late, I encouraged him to get started. He informed me that the dish tasted fresh and was fairly good.

I waited a few minutes for my Pizza to make it's appearance and then asked the waiter when I could expect it.

I then saw some frenzied activity in the kitchen which usually signals a mess up.

Sure enough, the waiter then came out and informed me they had forgotten to make the Pizza.

Since we had to get to a meeting, we declined to wait for them to start on the order, just paid our bill and left.

I personally would not go back.

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Loved the Pizza”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Pizza in Shanghai-yea just do it great change to the wonderful local food. Superb pizza, great wine choice and super service. Good value and free Wi-Fi.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank David G
Monza, Italy
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Next to the Portman Ritz hotel a small restaurant with Italian flavor . Friendly staff and short waiting time. You can order thin or thick pizza, both are good, even Parma ham was quite good.
You can order even Italian style starters and pastas.
Free wifi connection.
Pizza and coke 140 rmb

• Visited November 2013
“Worst lasagne ever”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is well-located, close to the Ritz-Carlton. The staff is very friendly and the English level is really good. But the food quality is very bad. The lasagne was disgusting, the tomato sauce was acid. My two friends weren't satisfied as well. Won't come back.

Jackonville, FL
“Best pizza in China”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I went to Pizza Marzano based on an Internet search. The Margherita pizza was fantastic. The atmosphere of the restaurant was wonderful. The service is top notch. I'm from New York City originally and I can assure you that this food will transport you to Rome or New York or wherever your favorite pizza place is.

Visited November 2013