“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay at this hotel when exhibiting our products at the expo center in pudong. This hotel although a little pricier then others nearby is just so convenient as it is based on the same site as the expo center. The hotel is very stylish and suited to visitors from the west. The food is fantastic, as it has such an extensive buffet! The bar is well stocked with premium wines and spirits. there is usually a live band playing which are always great. there is a fantastic steak restaurant in the hotel which is well worth a visit to! breakfast is fantastic! The rooms are very stylish, comfortable and well equipped. the mini bar is included in the price of the room which is a nice bonus! the bathrooms are gorgeous with large bath tubs and power showers! there is a large flat screen TV with a wide range of channels in English and Chinese. The staff are very efficient and helpful (which is often not he case in China!)

The hotel is joined onto a large shopping mall which consists of some lovely restaurants/cafes etc and international high street shops! I recommend a trip to the Blue Frog restaurant!

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and plan to book again for my next trip. overall i would highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Gregor W, General Manager at Kerry Hotel Pudong Shanghai, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Charlotte,
Thank you very much for the great comments - especially we are happy that you liked
our Meat steakhouse which is famoius for serving the best steaks in Shanghai.With best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was staying in town for CNY so I decided to travel to Pudong (the other side) and give a go at a "staycation" following up on a friend's recommendation. My first such adventure in 10 years as I am a Shanghai resident so never stayed in a hotel in my own city. Booked a suite by telephone for me and my family (small children youngest is 2,5) for 4-5 nights, a lady called Luna was super helpful and very informative, she informed me everything would be taken care of. Great. Then first day, all good, driver drops us off and goes to his CNY celebs, and I'm thinking SUPER, I will have a grand time.

Second day, my son (he is 2,5 so nothing I can do about this age phase... ) plays with the lock inside the bedroom. He locks himself inside the bedroom and we the rest of the family are out in the living room. I am actually joking at this time, saying good, this will teach him not to play with locks. 1 minutes, 2 minutes, he starts to cry. I go, okay sweetie, just hang in and we'll call the hotel to bring a key. I call... the operator goes, Oh you need a room key? I say, no we need a key to open the bedroom door as my son locked himself inside... she goes, oh ok, something like that... I've lived in China long enough to know they may not get it. But I'm thinking this is a quality hotel and I can rest my mind. My putonghua is not great so I better just say it in English. Few min later a man arrives with a wrench box and he's like, oh i don't have the keys. I go, ok who does? He says housekeeping. Ok can you call them? He calls them and I understand it enough, they don 't have it. MEYO?! I go, okay, all this time I'm head to the floor looking at my son's feet... to make sure he doestn't go into the bathroom. He loves to play with water. He is crying. OH good. As long as he's crying I know where he is and what's he doing. Housekeeping lady arrives. She brings a key. She say, uh oh... not sure if this is the key! I'm like... let's try! Shoot, it doesn't open. At this time, I'm like... okay, guys this is not funny anymore. I need this door opened, my son is too small to be inside all alone unsupervised with a bathtub 10 times his size! Just the night before, I gave him a bath and he knows how to turn on the water! Then a manager arrives and she's like okay we are trying to find a key. Then, all of sudden, I hear no more cries... And I put my head on the floor and I can't see his feet. I pass 2 Ipads underneath the floor so he can play with it and keep him out of the bathroom! He's not there. and then I see his feet shadows going inside the bathroom!! That's when OK Open this door. I want this door opened. The door is super sturdy and no way anyone even a UFC fighter can knock this door. Still not keys!! at this point, I am panicking. Where is the key!!??? How can you not have a key?? A child is locked inside. Then the keys finally arrive... to me, it seemed like forever.... I was so out of my mind at this point, I asked to see the manager. This is not good security for a room which is accessible to families with little kids like mine and no one can find the keys. Kids are like this!! The manager then comes and his attitude is like trying to explain to me and justify the delay. You know what? I really don't care. In a hotel this size in Shanghai at this standing (Shangri-la) catering to kids and families, I would expect them to know what to do and go, "yes we will have the master key in 5 min." It takes minutes for kids to do things to themselves. And then I get this, "oh this never happened before." Well, having a master key and teaching all employes how to access it in cases of emergency is not asking much. Emergencies do happen and no way a guest should have to panic over the safety of her child because employees having no idea where and how to get the keys. It's called, "Safety Training". Then everyone leaves and I need to myself go over to the desk, find something and try to makeshift some type of mechanism so this won't happen again. I try to mask the lock and it's not good enough (he can still lock it) so I have to call again to ask them to come back and disable this lock as we still have few more nights... lost 2 hours over this. No follow up, no are you okay calls. Well, as long as the hotel learns to put safety over other things and a priority, good. That's the problem in China. No one cares about security. But I didn't think I would have to deal with it at the Shangri-la! Esp. when there are so many kids and families here. This same thing happened to us actually in another country just 5 months ago and they had the master over in less than I could hang up the phone.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay in a suite with small children, make sure your child is old enough as otherwis...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank M K
Dear MK,
We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during this stay. This is really not the Kery hospitailty you can expect. Please be assured that we reviewd the procedures in order to prevent recurrence. Security is always a top priority in our hotel. With best regards
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

After a long flight from Canada we wanted to break our journey close to the airport before travelling on in China and this was a great choice! We arranged limousine service from the airport and the young man who met us and handled our luggage was very appreciated as was the steady driver. Very impressed we were met at the kerb and whisked up to our room where the young lady checked us in IN the room with her tablet! Beautiful room overlooking Century Park. Breakfast the next day was good.

Room Tip: Overlooking Century Park:)
1 Thank Pippa-7
Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Great hotel. Very much up to Western standards. Great gym and pool. Nice location in Pudong. Century Park is scross the road and subway line 7 is right beside hotel. Cabs are available. Hotel hss a shuttle to tech park.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank dockevincanning
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Not only a great hotel close to the Mag Lev and convenient for business but it has the best beer in Shanghai !!! The rooms are of the highest standard and the facilities are more than world class. If you get the chance ask for Leon the Brewmaster and he will give you a tour of the craft brewery and a taste of his fantastic brews. Accommodation prices are a little high but the Kerry is a quality offering.

Room Tip: Ask for a park side room with great views of Shanghai's best park. Check out the kids area your...
1 Thank Flyingfoam
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed there twice on my business trip last week.
The first one was really great. I am so impressed as we were checked in "in" our room! 3 receptionists were standing next to the hotel entrance with their own tablets. When my 2 colleagues and me arrived, each of us was led to our own rooms directly, and asked to sit while our documents were processed. We just need to sign on the tablet. All snacks and soft drinks in the fridge are for free. We also got 4 fruits in the room. Breakfast at The Cook was also very nice. My favorite is the noodle stand, as we can choose which noodle and whatever we want to be in our noodle. Funny thing is every time my colleagues and I came back to the room, in a few minutes housekeeping staff came and knocked the door. I am not sure what makes them think we asked for their service, as we didn't press any button all call them. And they don't speak English, so we didn't really understand each other.
My second stay was supposed to be great as I got a corner room (room 923). Unfortunately, the room smelled like cigarette from the moment I stepped in. I called the housekeeping (no staff for in-room check in this time), and in 10 mins a housekeeping staff came and sprayed all the carpets with deodorizer. It was quite helpful for a while. But the towels and bed sheet including the pillows are still having cigarette smell which is quite disturbing for me. I think this is something Kerry Hotel can improve.
The location is quite nice for the reason that it is next to a shopping mall. However, if you like to spend time in the downtown, and taking subways, the walk is quite long to the station. Need to go everywhere by taxi.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

You cannot go wrong with this hotel which has great rooms and great customer service.
Their restaurants are all very good and if you need more there is mall entrance from the hotel.
Close to park but not on the Bund.
Still a great place to stay with a very friendly staff.

Room Tip: corner rooms are very nice
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business