“Good business hotel”

Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside
Ranked #76 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room is quite spacious. Nice amenities with a nice location in quiet surroundings near the river with a park and jogging path nearby.
The breakfast buffet is excellent with western and Chinese food choices. There are a few other restaurants in the hotel but they seem to close early. The bar on the 28th floor does have a nice view but it was closed for an exclusive function. This was the only part that was a bit disappointing. In the end we went to the coffee shop at the lobby as it was really the only other option for a snack or drink if you don't want to go out to the city.
It's not in the city center but the Bund is only about 25 yuan ($4) by taxi. Pudong is just across the river.
Service is very good. Staff very helpful. Overall a very good choice when in Shanghai for business.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nes F
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Nes F,

Thank you for having selected the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Luwan for your recent stay in Shanghai.

My team and I are here to provide each of our guest with our best possible services, I have noticed form your feedback that you did experienced some problems and I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for not having our Yu Bar available for our hotel guests due to a company event which rented the bar for their privat event.

Again dear Nes F thank you for having spent your time at our hotel and I hope that besides the issues you did experienced you still will give us a change in future to stay with us again should travel bring you back to Shanghai, your feedback will help us to improve our hotel and services in the meantime.

With best regards,

There are newer reviews for Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were taking my son to see his great grandmother so we choose this hotel for it's proximity to her home. So it was a little out of the way for central Shanghai but nothing onerous. On arrival we noticed that there were large numbers of teen girls milling around, at first thought it was a school trip but soon discovered that the hotel is popular with artists performing at the nearby stadium and a very famous Taiwanese pop star was staying there. The lobby and walkway to the lift was full of people although the hotel security had it cordoned so that guests were not overly disturbed. The room was clean, all the fixtures in good order, all consumables topped up along with plenty of complimentary mineral water. We had a room with a river view and this was a very busy stretch with shipping going up and down 24 x 7. Having sat and watched the passing traffic it appeared to have many parallels to the road driving so expect to hear shipping horns very frequently including night time - that said the windows did filter out most of the sound except for the loudest of horns. During my stay I succumbed to a bad stomach upset, there was no doctor on site but the hotel offered to send someone to the local pharmacy - my wife decided to go and the concierge gave very detailed directions. They called the room to enquire how I was and sent lots of complimentary honey tea - a local remedy for such afflictions and their thoughtfulness impressed me. The breakfast was buffet style with a wide selection to suit most tastes and the food was good but not exceptional. My wife and I did try the roof bar (you cannot actually get to the roof) but there is a good view over the river and City and it had a very wide selection of wines and spirits, but probably too early in the evening to comment on the atmosphere as we were the only ones there when we arrived and still quite empty when we left. There are a few shops and cafés surrounding the hotel but not much so most things would require a taxi ride. Overall the hotel was very good and given it's location to family members we will almost definitely use it again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Misterteegold,

My team and I are here to provide each of our guest with our best possible services, I have noticed form your feedback that your wife had some stomach problems and you complimented my concierge team for looking after her to assure that everything is fine. I am very happy to hear you very pleased with the service you received, I fell share your feedback with the team.

Again Misterteegold thank you for having spent your time with your family at our hotel and we look forward seeing you and your family again should travel bring you back to Shanghai, your feedback will help us to improve our hotel and services in the meantime.

With best regards from Shanghai,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is located a little off of the beaten path, but is located on the river, and is located across the street from a nice park with jogging track.

Bellhops were available. Chcekin was easy. I did not receive anything for being Marriott Silver. The rooms were ok. Toiletries were ok.

Restaurant breakfast was pretty good. The service in the restaurant was my only real complaint. Nobody really spoke to me or took care of my needs. I had to ask for most everything.

I would probably come back to this hotel, as the value was good, but would go to somewhere closer to The Bund if the rates were comparable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river on a high floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Mr. Kevin A,

My team and I are here to provide each of our guest with our best possible services, I have noticed form your feedback that you did experienced some problems and I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you had experienced during your stay. We work with a number of associates who recently joined us and I do agree that we need to do more to upgrade both their servive and language skills, on how to better anticipate customer needs.

I will certainly address your comments to both my Dir. of Food & Beverage as well as to my Outlet Manager.

Again Mr. Kevin thank you for having spent your time at our hotel and I hope that besides the issues you did experienced you still will give us a change in future to stay with us again should travel bring you back to Shanghai, your feedback will help us to improve our hotel and services in the meantime.

Kind Regards,
Gemeral Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, comfortable and clean and good breakfast. The sky bar (don't think it's called that) on the top floor was perfect for my business meetings.
It is a little out of the City centre, not that far though. The surrounding area we as build for the Shanghai expo.. Very pleasant and clean part of the Shanghai.

There is a large Costa Coffee shop that is open till 2am almost next door which had food and pretty nice atmosphere if you wish to get out of the hotel.

Rates are pretty good as well.

I would stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Randolf W,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feed back on trip advisor. We are delighted that your stay with the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Luwan was enjoyable.

My team and I looking forward welcoming you back to Shanghai and the Marriott Luwan Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at this hotel by Huangpu River. The view was very pleasant and room was clean and comfortable. The location was a little far from the city but at the same time it was peaceful and away from the crowd and taxi ride is not that expensive. The sub way station was also not too far from the hotel. The room size was spacious, the bath room was open which I am not too used to. While The breakfast was good but not to much variety and limited choices and most of the choices are repeated so for after a couple of days it becomes a bit monotonous. The taste was good, however I have stayed at the hotels that offered more and better choices. Since I was attending a conference at The EXPO center that was not so far from this hotel so it was very convenient to use.I would definitely like to stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have fantastic view while others do not have any. Make sure ask for a room with a view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete your feed back. We are delighted that your stay with the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Luwan was enjoyable.

You mention the breakfast items should have more rotation, this is a valid point and I will certainly bring this to the attention of my Dir. F&B and Executive Chef to further improve.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is located along the banks of the Huangpu River and is a bit distant from the city centre. We had a River view room and was very pleasant staying in a comfortable room and lots of amenities. The buffet breakfast was Excellent with traditional Chinese and Western choices.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Bobby O,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our feedback to Tripadvisor.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your
feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Kind regards,
U. Guemmer

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 night due to it very near to my office. Furthermore this hotel provide free shuttle service to my office which located in a shopping mall that ten minute car drive from the hotel. In term of location, this hotel located at Puxi which a bit far off from the city centre, however Taxi is cheap as such it may took you 20 to 30 minutes from the hotel to the city area, the nearest subway/ metro is around 7 to 10 minutes walking distance.

In term of facilities, the swimming pool and the gym are well equipped and the best part of it is the gym open 24 hours. The room is spacious and provide a nice view if you choosing the river view instead of city view. The bathroom adopt open concept which I am relax in the bathtub which watching the TV.

The breakfast spread is good, but after staying for a couple of day, I felt the dishes seem similar, but I need to admit the breakfast is good in term of variety and taste.

I will definitely come back to stay as I like the quietness of the hotel and the well equipped facilities provided by the hotel.

Please give me a helpful vote if you think this is helpful to you.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room which much bigger than other room and ensure to ask for river view which able t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
viva r, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that your stay with the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Luwan was enjoyable.