Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
QuiqueSenent
Valencia, España

Nice place in the center

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 Sept 2012
It's located just behind Nanjing Road, maybe best area to stay in Shanghai. The rooms were nice, the staff was ok, just ok. The have a bar with western breakfasts, but price not very chinese. Perfect for the price.
Date of stay: August 2012
    £75
20.1 miles from Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Shanghai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed in the dormroom on the 5th floor. We had a very mixed experience in this hostel. I'll sum it up below:
positive: hostel looks very nice, plenty of room to sit and relax, pooltable, dvd-room, good showers, good food, good wifi, very nice beds (for Chinese standards), powerful aircon in the room, lockers, nightguard, excellent location.
negative: dirty bathrooms, overall not very clean, rude and unhelpful staff, almost no atmosphere.
It's really strange this hostel won a Hostelworld Cleanliness Award in April 2012, because the shared bathroom on the 5th floor was very dirty. Hairs everywhere, mold and slime in the corners of the showers, dirty towels laying around for days and days... Maybe they stopped cleaning after they got that award? The dormroom was pretty dusty, but the linen was very clean and the beds are quite new.
The staff was terrible though. Especially the lady at the reception, she was rude, uninterested and didn't want to spend one second longer than necessary talking to us. They were constantly playing with their mobile phones. They forgot our order twice because one of them was sleeping and the other was totally hypnotized by her phone.
The common room is full of people staring at screens, either their laptops, smartphones or the tv. This was kinda sad and I never experienced it this bad (I've been to dozens of hostels over the past couple of months).The only place where you could talk to some other people was outside with the smokers...
But, I would stay here again and I would recommend it, just because it's affordable, the sleep quality is good and the location is excellent.

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank MathieuP383
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I will start out by saying I am not really a youth hostel person. This is my first one in five years so I don't have much to compare it to (it was chosen by a friend). The place seemed very lively--when I arrived well after midnight the lobby/check-in area was packed with young people drinking beers, hanging out, checking email, etc. The location is central if you are interested in being near Nanjing Road, the Bund, and People's Park. The subway stop was very close, making it easy to get around. Note that credit cards are not accepted so you should bring cash.

We stayed in a private room--actually one the "luxury" rooms, which was not what we intended, but when we checked in they didn't have the family room we had reserved. At first this was irritating, but I actually was happy not to get the family room; the one we saw was much smaller, and while we booked it for the convenience of having a second bed, the second "bed" was in fact a tiny, beat-up fold-out futon with no sheets on it.

The luxury room was large and pretty well-equipped, with a private bath... sheets, towels, A/C. No soap, so bring your own or buy it downstairs. The surfaces were pretty clean, but the sheets on the bed had odd stains and looked a bit worse for wear. (We didn't see any roaches in our room, though a traveling companion spotted a couple in the lobby). Wi-fi didn't reach our room most of the time, unfortunately, but we could use it in the lobby.

I will say that once you get into the more expensive private rooms at this hostel, it's not that great a value--you could get a cheap hotel room in Shanghai for the same or not much more, and it would have more amenities. However, the place definitely has some good points, and for those looking for a central hostel, it's not a bad choice.

Date of stay: July 2012
1  Thank katiekins570
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I was looking for a last-minute and cheap place to stay in Shanghai found this little gem off of Nanjing Road, and a few feet away from night vendors (awesome for late night munchies that cost as little as 1RMB).

The staff spoke enough English to be understood and to understand all words exchanged, and was pleasant.

The lobby was very cozy, and had a nice sense of community to it. It's equipped with wifi (the rooms, however are not) and a bar that serves alcoholic beverages, coffee, juice, and smoothies, which opens at 8:00 and closes at 23:00/11pm. It also provides you with two computers (requesting you use them for 30 minutes or less at a time) and they even sell hygienic tools (tooth brushes, and paste, etc.) as well as postcards, and plenty of travel books. They also have a pool table on the second floor.

I opted for a one-night's stay in the dormitory for 65RMB, and was pleased when I received my own sets of keys (some dorms I've been to only provide one key). The rooms were /very/ clean and equipped with an AC, and natural sunlight (at least mine was). Bathroom, shower, and sink are separated into another room than the beds. Sheets were spotless, pillows odorless, and the three other's I stayed with (the dorm fits six, fyi) were very courteous-this place brings good vibes. You have a cabinet that fits to your key for belongings, and the dorm has three bunk beds.

Check out is at 12:00/noon.
You may have to pay a 100RMB despot, which you'll get back at check out.
It's close to Nanjing Road, People Square, The Metro, and shopping for all budgets (malls and night vendors). The night view, just up the street, is breathtaking.
The lobby closes at 1am, but you are allowed to stay in after provided you won't get service.
The elevator functions from 8-23/11pm. This isn't really a problem unless you have a heavy load, and if you're on the 6th floor, you will need to walk a flight of stairs, as the elevator only goes to the 5th floor.
Saw many ages pass through, heard many romantic languages, Korean, English, and Mandarin while I was there.

Overall, it was perfect; Good atmosphere, clean, and provided a good deal of things, and I will be returning or trying their Hidden Garden location soon.

Room tip: Although this place is good for on-the spot booking (seeing as it's a bit further down the road than other places) try getting a room as soon as possible. I saw the place fill up at 23(11pm) when I booked at 20(8pm). You'll have to deposit 100RMB which you'll get back at check-out.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Was there twice with my friends. The place was cozy, neat, and very convenient. Located only walking distance from the Nanjing Road pedestrian street and People Square make it a great location. The underground metro station is also few minutes away (the East Nanjing Road Station). You can also walk to the famous river bank to see the night view of Shanghai.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. They can speak English well, so it's quite a relief for a non-mandarin spoken guest like me.

The only problem was during our 2nd stay. Me and my friends got bitten by bed bugs. Fyi, the rooms involved are the room no. 506 and the one opposite it. Hopefully the staff can do something about it.

Overall, it was great staying there. If there's any chance going Shanghai again will definitely book this place.

Date of stay: June 2012
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Spending there 4 nights in May 2012 - twin room. Nothing to complain, size of cockroach in the bathroom suitable :-)
If you search the hotel, it is better to use underground stop East Nanjing road - it is closer then from Peoples park.
We had room in the third floor, they say wifi is broken, but I think they just want to keep people in the lobby to order some drinks, well, beer was cold and nice.
Location is really excellent, about 10 - 15 minutes to Bund, Pedestrian street about 5 minutes, Peoples park about 15-20 minutes.
If you need laundry - do it yourself, just ask front desk.
We booked in the fron desk early morning taxi to the Pudong airport - 200 yuan - perfect in time, just give room card to night guard and he will give you 100 Y back, no problem at all.
We had street window, so sometime night noise, but you can close it and use AC.

Date of stay: May 2012