Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai
US$125
US$98
US$351
1,135 results
All reviewsmood lightingfree happy hourcool hotelfront office managerhigh techmodern designdiamond memberrestaurants and shoppingpark hyattfloor to ceiling windowsmini barreception areabusiness triplocation is greatbreakfast spreadexcellent hotelrooms are spacious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Whats with the negative reviews? Have these people stayed in a fine hotel before? A contempoary brand?

The beds are FANTASTIC. The service UNREAL. This is a hotel experience like no other....

I loved my stay(s) from the moment i entered and was greeted by the friendly staff. Wow. They remembered my name! The host in the lobby lounge was also warm and wonderful.

As for the rooms....superior in every way. Luxurious bedding, and a bathroom that cant be beat! The warm yet contemporary design begged me to never leave! I probably spend more time in this hotel room on my trips to Shanghai of recent than I have EVER spent in a room. It was glorious. It felt like home.

Sure, the health club is not totally complete yet....they are still doing some construction, but there is a wonderful work out facility in place. It is already much more than most, and i cant wait to see what it will be like when the pool and spa is complete.

The dining room is fantastic also. Wonderful breakfast with english buffet on one side, and a fantastic asian offering on the other side of the dining room. Lunch and Dinner were also superior.

The location cant be beat. Wonderful neighborhood.

Hyatt has several great offerings in Shanghai. Trust me, this one cant be beat. I cant wait to walk thru the doors again....

J

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesE339
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights right after this past Christmas, and we couldn't have asked more from the stay! The hotel was still in its soft opening, but the staff seemed well trained and were very amendable to all requests. For example: the gym opened at 6am, but since I was jetlagged, I wanted to work out early. They were happy to open the gym for me on all four mornings -- they even had a bottle of water and towel on the treadmill for me.

We had two suites during our stay (I was traveling with my in-laws), and the rooms are very nice and completely inline with the Andaz look and feel. The lights in the room were a little weird, but I eventually got used to them. And as an added bonus, our room had an elliptical machine in the corner (my in-laws had a stationery bike).

The breakfast (Chinese and Western) is absolutely delicious! We ate there all four mornings and did not get tired of the offerings.

As with other Andaz properties, this one had free snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in the rooms and a free happy hour in the lobby.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mangoriver
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I usually stay at the Hyatt on the Bund when in Shanghai, but thought I'd give the new Andaz a go.

The location is great, just over the road from Xintiandi, and within walking distance of many sights in the Old French Concession. It's a trendy place, with interesting works of art dotted around the lobby. Probably my favourite thing was the bathrooms, with their glowing bathtubs, heated stone floors and Japanese-style electric toilets. I also received a very warm welcome from Simon, the Front Office Manager.

These things need to be looked at ASAP though:

- The hotel is still in its 'soft opening' phase, meaning that spa, pool, car park etc. aren't open. If the hotel isn't fully operational I expect a hefty discount on the room rate.

- My check-in was okay, but at no stage did I feel 'more than welcome' as Hyatt promises. I also received no recognition as a Platinum member. The girls on the front desk didn't recognise the phrase 'car park' either.

- I felt that the Andaz lounge was quite a sterile place, and having to order drinks from the front desk rather than the bar itself was annoying. I much prefer the exclusive feel of the Regency/Grand club lounges. They should also think about having newspapers and magazines for guests. There was free wine in the evening but it tasted pretty cheap to me.

- Apart from the bathroom my (standard) room wasn't special, and didn't feel very spacious. The windows were dirty (on the outside) and the view was pretty poor too.

In short, I'll be returning to the Hyatt on the Bund for my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jamesc23
Reviewed 9 January 2012

If the Hyatt chain wants to create Andaz on the same level as the W in Starwood, a lot more work would be needed.
The hotel itself has great location- steps away from xin tian di but the details are poorly done and very much localized.

-bedsheet linens are 150 thread count. Pillows are so flat it feels like there IS no pillow
-offers complimentary bar items for non-alcoholic drinks but is so cheap that they use local WATER and local juice from mainland china. Now who's up for contaminated local water and sugary fruit juice?! anyone?
-tacky lighting-- uses mood lights in sink and bathtub. Unless you want to be HULK, don't press the mood color button where the sink turns green with a green glare on your face
-cheap amenities-- Unknown 'french' branded amenities with chinese ingredients and addresses at the back. Makes you wonder...

Gym-
If you like the idea of being a lab rat, it's great for you. Gym is that the basement with no windows. Except there is no cheese, no free fruits, no protein drinks, snacks nada-- just the local water again. y u m

I would recommend this hotel for businessmen who are not picky on finer details in life.

Room Tip: ask for a humidifier in the winter time as it can get very dry.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolinamckenzie
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I visited shanghai and this hotel before it was up and running full steam. The hotel may have been in the soft opening stage because quite a few things were not quite right. I tried to remind myself that this place has some kinks to work out to be considered an top rated hotel, but throughout my stay i always considered where else i would stay for a return trip.

At the time of our visit, the spa area in the basement was not completed, the air conditioning system was either too hot or too cold at night & didnt seem to work properly when the blinds were down, the breakfast was a low level attempt at proper sustenance, the chunk of wall in the entry way missing from our room due to the maids cart hitting it too many times already, a serious lack of english speaking staff were just a few of the oddities...again, i know it was probably too early to visit, but why be open?

On the other hand, the staff was courteous despite the language barrier, the "living room" setup in the main lobby to sit during happy hour was great, the complimentary beverages in the late afternoon was also a hit, the bathroom was a lot of fun with the lights and automated toilet, beds were acceptable and location was great for walking around too.

So if I had to choose right now, i would go next door to the Langham.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business