“GREAT STAY IN SHANGHAI”

Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong
Ranked #7 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Service, Space, Club floor, Location, Food. Everything. Really enjoyed my stay. If you have the time go to the best swimming pool with a view. Worth every minute. Very friendly staff from porter to management. Thank you.

Room Tip: Club Floor is the best. View of the TV tower even better.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
ChristianFSPudong, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Dear Mauricio,

Thank you so much for your time to share your feedback about your visit to the Four Seasons Hotel Pudong, Shanghai.

We are delighted to read that you were very satisfied with your stay, and that you were pleased with the services provided to you by our staff. Whatever success we achieve in meeting the needs of our guests is entirely due to the dedication and commitment of our people. The primary goal of all of us at Four Seasons is to provide our guests with the best possible service, and it is of course immensely gratifying to know when we have succeeded in meeting their expectations.

We have shared your comments with our team, please know that they mean a lot to us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai when your travels bring you back in our direction.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2014

...frankly, this is without a doubt the worst "Four Seasons" I've stayed at globally and I'm shocked that the Four Seasons Group allows this hotel / owner / management to continue to operate under this brand.

I stayed here recently for just one night on a business trip, after checking out of the Four Seasons Beijing earlier in the day. So I was able to compare the two Four Seasons hotels directly back-to-back (see my other review). While the Four Seasons Beijing was not perfect, it was still quite good. From the moment I checked into the Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong, my experience started mediocre as a 5 (out of 10) and gradually went down to 1 by the time I checked out.

Front Deck / Service:

Upon arrival, there was nobody at the car drop off to greet me, help me with my bags, nothing. Just a large fan blowing on the carpet at the front door. I arrived quite late in the evening but for a 5-star property, it is inexcusable to not have anybody man the door at the front of the hotel as this is your guests' first impression of the hotel.

At check in, the service (compared to the FS Beijing) was very poor and I thought the hotel was very stingy. None of the courtesies that the FS Beijing kindly extended to me were offered here and they reserved me in the wrong room type and class and was told "...we don't have any other choices left...". Basically choose between a bad room and another bad room ("bad" in terms of my requests and reservation). Certainly forget about any courtesy laundry, room upgrade, lounge access, etc. Even a "late checkout" was only extended 12pm!?! I thought it must have been a joke or I must have checked into a cheap motel by accident. Even though the hotel made the mistakes, there was little effort for the hotel to make it better. The attitude was absolutely terrible from the staff. If I was the owner of the hotel, I would have without a doubt fired the staff on the spot if that is how they treat their guests. We're talking about a Four Seasons property - not Holiday Inn.

One other small detail to add in. I was staying at this hotel because of a work event that my company was putting on which we spent $$$$ reserving various ballrooms, meeting rooms, dining rooms, full meals for 100+ guests, etc. I thought it was quite a poor commercial decision(or simply bad business judgement) for the hotel staff to not take better care of the people who are part of the team that originally helped organize the event and chose Four Seasons Pudong.

Never again.

Room: The room was okay - despite it being the wrong type. But objectively, I thought the room was well appointed and the finishings and design was very nice. It was also large enough to have a bit of work space. The room, however, was not very insulated from interior noise from other guests or those talking in the hallway (mostly staff). While I was on a conference call in my room late morning, I heard a lot of staff talking loudly in the hallway. Unacceptable for a property of this type.

Given my short stay I didn't get to enjoy the fitness center nor the spa / pool but when I walked by to take a quick look, everything looked quite nice.

But just like my experience in all the other hotels in China thus far, the hardware / rooms / finishings, etc., are rare the issue for any 5-star hotel. Most are nicely renovated, well appointed, and in very good shape. The service, however, is where things typically fall apart and it just hasn't caught up to western standards in comparable hotels or sister hotels of the same hotel chain in the west.

The Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong is a prime example of this issue and in my opinion, hopefully the hotel rights itself and gives better training to its crew or higher more qualified staff in the very near future. Otherwise, the Four Seasons Group should do a thorough review of this property to decide whether it is doing more harm than good to it's global franchise.

Room Tip: Beware of the limited number of non-smoking rooms relative to smoking rooms. If non-smoking is impo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank RNG1008
ChristianFSPudong, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear RNG 1008,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your very detailed feedback about your stay with Four Seasons Hotel Pudong, Shanghai.

As you can imagine, I was very concerned by your comments about your stay and have shared your notes with our team to ensure improvement is made. After looking into the past few days of operation, I do believe I know what problems you encountered. The hotel was indeed in a full house situation and I am sorry that our operational pressures resulted in less or no alternatives in order for us to adjust to your requirements. I personally met quite a few of your colleagues and believe that we overall managed to achieve a very high satisfaction from most participants. I understand that this not solve issues that understandably upset you and I kindly ask you to accept our sincere apologies.

I truly believe that your experience is thankfully not typical of the style or standard of service that we more normally achieve. I hope that you feel able to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.
If you like to contact me directly please find my details below.

Kind regards,
Christian.poda@fourseasons.com

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Imagine ... to arrive at Pudong Airport and be zero time transferred by a MAGLEV supertrain at a speed that exceeds 430 kph. To check in in this hotel at speed of light surrounded by smiling people ready to help you. To take a lift to the sky and to open the door of your room ...and then ... Woow! You're in a dream room just in front of one of the most amazing skylines in the world. Wait for the night to begin and you'll be fascinated by the lights. Taste the domotics of the room (everything is commanded by an iPad mini) and .. you just have to decide wether to take the subway (two hundred meters from hotel entrance) or take a taxi ... in Shanghai taxi drivers DO SPEAK ENGLISH! ... walk walk walk through the Bund and then take the boat for a photo safari during the night. Then back in hotel to relax in a beautiful pool of fine design and wonderful lighting ... just in front of the lights of the Pudong towers.
This Hotel is a magic window on Shanghai ... Five stars are not enough.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristianFSPudong, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Antonio,
Thank you for your raving feedback. We are delighted how much you enjoyed our hotel and Shanghai. We appreciate your time and the whole team will be thrilled to read your review.
Best regards,
Christian

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great experience! #5 on my bucket list to stay in every Four Seasons. Had a great meal at Camelia. Must have the chocolate experience, one of a kind dessert for sure. I won't spoil the fun by telling you what they do but, it was definitely an experience to remember.

Take time to visit the pool on the top floor at night. The warm jacuzzi and pool overlooks the city for a relaxing and breathtaking experience in one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lorna G,
Thank you so much for your great review and we are thrilled that you loved our special dessert creation and that we are part of your "Bucketlist"
Wishing you much joy in your goal to stay in all of our hotels. This will obviously keep you very busy, but we hope to have you back with us when your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Located on Century Avenue a few hundred metres walk from the Pearl Tower and luijiazui metro station . The hotel is nestled in, and has views over, the iconic Pudong skyline.

The gym and spa is top notch and the views from the pool are simply amazing.

The staff were attentive and friendly and my family experienced extremely good service from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. In fact this was probably the best service we have received in our two years living in China.

The only minor point is that the western cooked breakfast was a little disappointing, but perhaps that is me being really picky.

In summary, it's a modern well run hotel with true international standards and I would have no hesitation in staying here again. Well done to all of the management and staff.

Stayed: July 2014
ChristianFSPudong, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Joe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for the great comments.
I will share your encouraging note with the team.
Many regards from Shanghai and please come back soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a great stay at the Four seasons shanghai. The Junior Suite was spacious, perfectly located in a corner with views on the tallest buildings of pudong. The staff was very helpful, concierge first class, restaurants (in particular Shangxi) very refined and best of all the pool on the 41st. It's definitely a Hotel to recommend for both business and leisure!

Room Tip: Room with view on Pudong's tallest towers!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Alex,
Many thanks for your feedback. We appreciate your positive comments and are delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I recently stayed at this amazing hotel with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. We all agree that this was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. The location, the facilities (particularly the pool area) the staff, buffet breakfast, the view, the comfortable beds , classy decor, magnificent bathrooms and so much more. We would definitely stay here again if we stayed in Shanghai. Was lovely to meet our new friend Christopher on the concierge team whilst we were there.

Room Tip: We chose to stay in Pearl view King rooms. It was worth paying a little extra for the amazing view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
TheFourSeasonsPudong, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time writing this wonderful review.
We are thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed the hotel facilites and services so much.
It is the best reward for all of us here at Four Seasos Pudong to know that we managed to meet and exceed your expectations.

We look forward welcoming you back soon.