“Not at all good, stay away!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #67 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

Clean, comfortable are the good parts, but the service in the (overpriced) restaurants and lobby bar is horrible, long waits, orders wrong, "Sorry" from the staff was heard over and over again. Executive Lounge is large with wireless but evening offerings are sparse. Not what I expect from a Hilton property.

1  Thank Bill C
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Dear WGC4,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Shanghai - Pudong. I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your visit. Please accept my sincere apology. Your comments with regards to the restaurant, lobby bar and executive lounge will assist my team in improving their service delivery and guest experience.

If you are back in Shanghai and wish to give us another try, please contact me at david.givens@hilton.com, so that I can make sure your stay is enjoyable and have a chance to meet with you.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is excellent. Good english speakers and food is very good. Gym facilities include a pool, steam room, sauna etc and all is spotless clean. There is a currency vending maching which offers an excellent rate of exchange. The hotel gives advice on local shopping areas and provides a card written in Chinese and English to show to taxi drivers. Make sure the taxi driver puts his meter on as taxi fares are cheap but some will charge up to 20 times more if they think they'll get away with it. I got Bullet train from airport and a taxi driver wanted to charge £20 to take me to hotel. He refused to put meter on, so I got out and got a taxi that did use meter - the fare was only £1.70. a good idea is to print off a photocopy of the hotel and ask them to write name and address in Chinese - show this to taxi drivers when leaving tourist spots and you'll have no difficulty getting back. Be prepared to bargain hard on prices when in market style shops. I booked room only and brought cereal and UHT milk for breakfast so dont know what breakfast was like. However room service was excellent and a toasted sandwich and chips was only about £6. You can also get a 30min phone card from hotel for £10. If you phone from room there is a slight charge, but its only about 3p.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Silveroscar
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear SilverOscar,

Thank you for the review and five stars. Your comments are much appreciated. I was happy to read your enjoyed our food, gym, and room service. My staff is great, a majority of them speak very good English, which is very useful to our Western Travelers. As to the Taxi service in and around Shanghai, I agree with your comments. I think it is important for all visitors to remain vigilant so as not to be taken advantage of. Here is a piece of advise for all future travelers, if you feel there is an issue with a taxi driver, take down their ID # which is posted on the dash board and have our concierge staff intervene on your behalf. We take our customers safety and experience very serious, as does the Shanghai Tourism Bureau.

Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

not much to fault here
Service Excellent
Look after gold members..upgrades and great facilities.
Relaxing Japanese style garden
Could improve by increasing number of front desk staff at peak times..so prepare for that

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Neilsa,

Thank you for your wonderful review and five stars. I see you mentioned you are a gold member, which means you are a loyal customer of Hilton Hotels, Your business is much appreciated. And for any one reading TA comments you also need to join and become a member of Hilton Honors. There are many benefits and upgrades available as you become a frequent guest of Hilton Hotels. I was happy to read you got to spend some time in our garden area, it is very peaceful. Thank you for pointing out the need for additional front desk staffing at peak times, I have already discussed this with my Front Office Manager. Your insights are much appreciated.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

The Pros are good. I'm a HH diamond, so I get a few perks like breakfast, internet and lounge. But I'm usually around enough hotels to be able to objectively rate them. This is a good 4 star. Not a five star, but double tree does not claim to be. The cookie is good.
The furnishings are good, the suites are roomy. Everything is a notch below the top of the line but above the bottom of the line. So this is a good mid range hotel.
The service is very good.
The people, managers and staff are friendly and nice.
The cons. It has very little to do with the hotel per se - thats why my rating is still a four.
Location is poor, there is nothing nearby - really nothing in walking distance. The train station is a short walk, the fake mall is a bit longer (a little over a mile). Not a very picture-esque neighbourhood for sure.
Lounge is dead, so are most of the public areas in the hotel.
In short, for the tourist - this is not an ideal hotel. On this trip I only planned to recover from a hard work week - so it worked out fine.
The people work hard and do a good job.

Room Tip: Room facing pudong if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Freq_Traveler_101
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear freq_traveler09,

Many thanks for a great review and four stars. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the property, with the furnishings rated good, and the suites roomy. More importantly, you felt the service was very good and the managers and staff friendly and nice. It makes me proud to read that the staff is servicing our guests well.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Fantastic hotel. Rooms very comfortable with everything I needed. Multi plug adaptors, reliable internet, quiet, comfortable beds. Robes and more extensive bathroom amenities than I am used to at Doubletree Hotels. Good service and staff generally friendly and helpful. Exceptional breakfast in the restaurant and good value. Room service very average but reasonably priced. Biggest let down was the gym. For such a huge and generally impressive hotel the gym was very small and old fashioned.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Bebej1976,

Thank you for your review and four stars. I was happy to read that you found our hotel comfortable and the service friendly and helpful. I hope that your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past three months. They are renovating the west wing, so I have had to stay in east wing everytime. It is older, but the rooms are nice and I have been upgraded everytime. I can't wait to see how the west wing is after the renovation. One important note is that during this renovation, it is somewhat a walk to the lobby/restaurant/etc. But to me not that big a deal. They do not have spa, but do have an adequate workout facility with several ellipticals, some machines, and treadmills. I think the one thing that sets this hotel apart is the service is very good. The housekeeping staff are great, the breakfast staff go above and beyond to make you happy, and everyone I have encountered seems to be very customer oriented. This is a change for the other two Hiltons I have stayed at in Shanghai. I will continue to stay here and hopefully the renovation will make it even better. One final note - not a lot of restaurants within walking distance, but it is a short taxi ride to downtown - 10 mins.

Room Tip: Away from construction if possible. Close to elevator is good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris H

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for your review and four stars. Also thank you for being a loyal Hilton customer, we appreciate your business. I love my staff. They are focused on servicing our guests and making their visit to Shanghai a wonderful experience.

Next time you are in, please stop by to say Hi! Come back soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

An oasis in Shanghai after a late flight or a hard working day . Staff eager to help and show you around.Rooms are clean and tastefully located in areas that you have a good view of the city. What impresses me the most is the General Manager Mr Givens. Always reachable even late hours!! He makes sure that you are comfortable and have a pleasant stay. This is why I stay there every time!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear James P,

Thank you for your review and five stars. I appreciate the wonderful comments about the property and the service. We are trying very hard to make each guest's experience a pleasant and memorable occassion. I have a great staff which makes all the difference. The fitness center is a main focus of mine; we do have plans to increase the size and transition out the old equipment. We have recently added three new pieces of Precor equipment which makes a big difference. It also gives my wife the opening to pick on me about working out, I have no excuses.