“DoubleTree delight in Pudong”

DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong
Ranked #70 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This was an outstanding experience -- quite amazing really. I didn't expect a DoubleTree in Shanghai to be as sumptous and grand as this hotel. I highly recommend it to anyone going to the Pudong area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Jim B,

Many thanks for the five stars and recommendation. You will see more and more Doubletree hotels throughout China, the brand is becoming very popular.

David Givens - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed here for just one night in January 2013. Had some difficulties to find the hotel, as it is not located on some of the maps, and on Google maps location is totally wrong (close to the Century Ave)! Had to ask at other hotels and walk for almost 3km to actually locate the hotel. Location on hotels own website is better, but... I have just used Google maps, and it was costly mistake. The hotels itself is huge, with two towers, and quite modern with all modern anemities one could wish for. Executive lounge is on first floor (a bit weird), but spacious and with decent offerings.

1  Thank PremiumFlyer74

Mirror74,

Thank you for the four stars and review. I apologize for google maps not being accurate. We have been trying to get this fixed for some time, and will continue to push them to correct the error. I was happy to read you enjoyed all our modern amenities and Executive Lounge.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Because of the good reviews posted here I chose this hotel for my 3D2N business trip in Shanghai last week. The experience upon arrival was not quite what I expected for a 4/5 star hotel: there was no one at the entrance to help guests with luggages! As a result I had to take my luggage out from the taxi trunk and also carried it up the stairs all my myself.

What was more outrageous was my experience before check-out. On the day of check-out I went out for a meeting and then returned to the room an hour before check-out time. To my astonishment, a cleaning lady was in the room doing cleaning (which is unusual on the check-out day), and I found all my clothing in the closet taken out and placed on the coffee table. Whilst the hotel staff at the reception later sought to explain that they were merely doing the usual cleaning even though I was going to check out later that day, apparently this was an excuse, since there was no reason why they had to remove the guest's clothes from the closet. Apparently the cleaning staff was mistaken that I had checked out and was preparing the room for the next guest.

I was given a room on an upper room. The room was spacious and clean. But apart from this the stay cannot be said to be a pleasant one. I definitely will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Kagami0316,

Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to read that your visit to our hotel was less than perfect. Please accept my sincere apology. I appreciate receiving both good and not so good comments about our guest's experiences at this property. I use them both to motivate and to train the staff to improve upon our service delivery.

There is no excuse for your experience. There should always be someone available to support you with your luggage and Housekeeping should not disturb your belongings to clean a room, especially on the check out date. Again my apologies.

Also thank you for the one bright moment with you feeling our guestrooms were clean and spacious.

I hope your future travels bring you back to Shanghai and that you give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Really good views with upper floor.
Pretty nice location with convenient transportation.
But facilities and breakfast are lower than my expectation.
The spongy bed made me feel even tired than before when woke up in the morning, maybe it's not specifically double-tree's fault...
Besides, I don't see any service with warmly smile or passionate attitude.
All in all, nice place to stay for biz trip, but not a good choice makes people feel cozy and happy.

Room Tip: Upper level @ west wing.

Dear ffx,

Thank you for your recent review and comments. It is one thing to have a great location, convenient transportation, and beautiful views from the guestrooms, but these can all be considered minor items when you do not encounter a warm welcome, a smiling face, and a passionate service attitude. Please accept my apology for not meeting your expectations at all levels.

I have also reviewed your breakfast and bedding comments with my Food & Beverage and Housekeeping teams respectively.

Thank you for assisting the team in improving our service delivery. Please email me directly at david.givens@hilton.com when your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Good size rooms, well appointed and clean. Good breakfast selection. Close to the New exhibition centre. Bit far from the centre of Shanghai- The Bund and Nanjing Rd. Although Taxis are cheap and the subway is handy only a block away.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Fox_Webster.

Many thanks for the five stars and review. I was happy to read you found the hotel well appointed, clean, and with nice size rooms. The Chef was also glad you enjoyed his breakfast offerings. As you found out, our location provides a good starting point with easy access to all of Shanghai. The public transportation system is very easy and convenient to the hotel.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

I enjoyed staying in there. Infact I stayed 3 nights in 1 week in all different rooms. All rooms were very specious and clean. Only tiring was hotel is too big so need a lont of walking to reach to room!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are really nice with good view of city
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Narumuscat,

Thank you for the review and five stars. It is very much appreciated. I was happy to read you enjoyed your visit. We are a big hotel, but with comfortable rooms and delicious warm
Doubletree Cookies.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

This hotel is huge. I stayed here one night, and it was a pretty good experience. As a gold member, I received a free upgrade to a suite, which was a nice gesture. The check-in process was quick and hassle-free, and although its a long walk from the front desk to the guest room elevators, it gave me a chance to stroll around the facilities. My suite was furnished nicely. It was very spacious and I was surprised to find a kitchenette included, I rarely see them in Chinese hotels.

The reason I say this hotel doesn't quite live up to the five star label is because of the service and a few aspects of the facilities. For one, the guest rooms have no wireless Internet. Especially in shanghai, where I suspect 80% of patrons are on business, this is an absolute necessity. Secondly, the executive lounge is located on the first floor, which doesn't make it very "executive" as anyone walking by the lobby can see you sitting there. A good executive lounge is characterized by comfort and privacy. Third, the gym is due for a renovation. The equipment looked worn out, the entire center is tiny, and it was not that well-lit or well-ventilated. All the negatives aside, this hotel met my expectations for a Doubletree, and I would consider coming back if I have business in the Pudong area.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Doubletree_Pudong, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shanghai-Pudong, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear Danny L,

Thank you for the review and four stars. I was happy to read you had a good experience during your brief visit to the hotel and were able to enjoy the HHonors Gold benefits. Busy travelers need to take advantage of these "perks". 2013 will be focused on upgrading the items you listed, i.e. Wireless internet in Guest Rooms, Executive Lounge, and Fitness Center, plus our Food outlets and West Tower, will all be renovated and refreshed. We are excited about this project and hope you will come back to to enjoy this new look and feel. The project is slated to start in June, but until than we will continue to improve our service and facility.