“Still very good, starting to get a tad tired in some areas”

JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
Ranked #9 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Still very good, starting to get a tad tired in some areas”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I really like this hotel and have stayed here twice.

The property is well located, near People's Square, subway stations, some offices as well as shopping. The views from all over the hotel are great (rooms, lobby, restaurants), service is very solid and not too over the top in its furnishings. The lobby is lovely, with lots of natural light, comfortable seating and views overlooking the city of Shanghai.

Check-in was swift and courteous and at the front door, staff was helpful with getting and directing cabs.

The room itself was very, well, American. Solid in build, well maintained, comfortable, no nonsense. Nothing too opulent, but very comfortable. Some parts seem to be getting a bit worn, such as the carpeting in the rooms and hallway. Maybe its the style of that of maybe 15 years ago and appears slightly faded, but is nonetheless still clean. My room was fine except for a slight smell of stuffiness which meant that there just wasn't much ventilation. This went away after about 2 days since the A/C was running (I wasn't in the room much).

The pool area is not too bad. It's pretty simple and on nice days, the outdoor area is quite nice. Lots of seating, and one can overlook parts of the city as well as the hustle and bustle of the area around the hotel (Tomorrow Square). What is kind of annoying is its location. It is on the 7th floor. This means that to access the pool, one has to either take the elevator from the rooms to the lobby (38th floor), switch to elevators to go to the 5th floor and then walk by gym changing rooms, across a platform and into another elevator to go to the 7th floor, and then get to the pool. There does not appear to be a well marked stairway from the 6th to 7th floor.

The other way to get to the pool is to take the elevator from your floor to the 5th/6th floor, however only 2 of 4 elevators do this, and so one might have to wait for a few minutes for the elevator to arrive/stop at your floor.

I only had breakfast at the hotel (I've had dinner in my previous stay and it was pretty nice). Standard buffet offerings of a 5 star property, egg station, noodle station, dim sum and western selections. Personally, I'm pretty happy they offered Frosties as a selection to get the inner kid in me... No complaints there.

Would happily stay again, particularly given the value for money compared to some other places in town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square! We are grateful for your encouragement and delighted to read your detailed and insightful review.

I believe your remarks regarding our hotel services and facilities will be useful to other Shanghai-bound travelers. As you suggested, we are particularly excited to welcome guests to enjoy our outdoor pool area overlooking People's Park.

Additionally, we are pleased to learn that you felt a warm welcome upon arrival and that you experienced convenience during your stay with regard to transportation.

Thank you again for your time and encouraging feedback. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here on business in March 2014 for 11 nights, and have been staying here for another business trip since the 4th of May. Here is a round-up of my experiences thus far:

GOOD

- Location is very good. The hotel is less than a minute's walk from People's Square metro station (Lines 1, 2 and 8), a twenty-minute walk from the Bund, a twenty-minute walk from Jing'an Temple, a ten-minute walk from Xin Tian Di, I could go on and on!

- For the most part (see below), the service is excellent. Margaret, the director of guest relations, is awesome. She has always been friendly and forthcoming (took a lot of time out of her day a short while ago to have a conversation with me about hotel options during future travels, which I greatly appreciated).

- Special mention must also go to Joyce, Janice and Cindy (among others) from FOH, Michelle and her team in the Executive Lounge (probably the best thing about the hotel!), Clark and David (concierge desk - helped me source tickets to a concert amongst many other good deeds!) and Guillaume, Siem, Vincent et al from the restaurant. They have been incredibly friendly and made me feel at home in a foreign land. The food at the restaurant (I only eat breakfast here) is excellent and the other facilities (namely the gym) are very good for a hotel. One thing I would say is that I would prefer a better selection of vegetables at breakfast. On some days of the week, steamed broccoli etc. is available (which is great) but on others, the relative breadth of choice appears to be lacking. However, there is always a chef on hand to steam some fresh vegetables when I need them.

SUB-OPTIMAL

- Somewhat inexplicably, a couple of the FOH staff have become a little bit frosty towards me over my stay at this hotel. I think this is more of a personal issue and would not want for it to reflect badly on the rest of the team.

- Although I am on a non-smoking floor, I sometimes (maybe once every couple of weeks) get a strong smell of cigarette smoke in my room. I would be interested in understanding the reasons for this.

CONCLUSION

I have not stayed at a hotel with such a high star rating before so may not be the best at offering comparisons. However, I have been very impressed with the level of service received in all quarters. The 'Sub-Optimal' points are minor and I will get over them pretty quickly. The fact that my office is located less than ten minutes' walk away from the hotel will be a strong reason for my return, but I do not think I have any reason to consider other equally plush-looking alternatives. I am now a Marriott rewards member and long may it continue!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Bund are always a winner, and try and get one as high up as possible! The v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai! Thank you for taking time to write a thoughtful and positive review regarding your current stay with us. It is our pleasure to have welcomed you for an extended visit and we have very much enjoyed getting to know you.

We are pleased that you have been enjoying pleasurable and consistent service during meals in our Marriott Cafe. Based on your suggestion, please note we will do our best to continue to provide a wide variety of vegetables among breakfast buffet selections.

Lastly, all of the associates whose names you mentioned are sincerely touched by your enthusiasm and support. Your positivity means a lot to us. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. Please feel free to contact me at any time during the remainder of your stay with us and in the future.

Best wishes for your future travels with Marriott!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location is fantastic, the building is beautiful from the outside. The views from the lobby on the 38th floor are amazing.

Service however was lacking severely. For starters, we asked for a non-smoking room and we were given a room that smelled like smoke (happens). It was four of us staying in two rooms. One room had this problem. We went to the lobby to complain and they made it sound like they were doing us a favor by putting us on a high floor so it should be ok. Then after pressing, they sent room service to spray everything with febreeze. Sound like 5 star? No

Mold in the shower and remote with leaking battery powder? Sound like 5 star? No

Do as little as possible was the general theme from the bar staff at the cigar bar going all the way to the bell staff that were lazily trying (or not trying) to get us cabs and failed. Sound like 5 star? No

We spoke with two concierges during our stay. They were the only ones who seem to understand what service meant and did their best.

We stayed at the Shangri La in Qingdao as well on the same trip. That was a true world class hotel experience. There is one in Shanghai, didn't stay there but will try it next time.

Skip this if you can.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Avinash B
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai! We value your feedback and appreciate your having taken time to share your perspective with us. I hope that you and your friends enjoyed the enhanced view of Shanghai's magnificent skyline from your rooms on our Executive Level.

Upon reading your review, I was concerned to learn that your experience fell short of the high level of service we strive to provide on a consistent basis. Your feedback has been shared and discussed among related department managers who appreciate your detailed comments. If you return to Shanghai in the future, we would look forward to an opportunity to welcome you again so that we may deliver an excellent hotel experience. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if we may be of further assistance. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 8 June 2014

For an exterior so modern, I was surprised to find the interior, specifically the rooms, of the JW Marriott Shanghai a little bit worn. The furnishings of the rooms look worn out and the carpet looks questionable. I went during winter time and was very uncomfortable with the thermostat; it was too warm and I was unable to turn down the thermostat to an acceptable temperature. However, I was informed that this was typical in China, so I guess this isn't their fault.

The service was okay. I expected a little more since this is a Marriott establishment. Service was friendly enough, but seems fake. They smile at you and all, but is pretty unwilling to actually do much for you. My biggest concern was with the restaurant staff. They seem to understand very little English, which is forgivable if only the restaurant staff weren't also preoccupied most of the time in the most empty part of the restaurant. However, the housecleaning staff definitely deserve commendation; their service was warm, cordial, and extremely helpful.

Nonetheless, the positive points of this hotel includes the view (all rooms are located on the very top of the building, so one gets a very nice view of Shanghai.... if not for the smog), the concierge lounge (apparently, they have the world's highest library), and the location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katherine Y
Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai! Many thanks for sharing your perspective on our hotel facilities and services based on your recent stay with us. I would like to express gratitude for your wonderful comments regarding the attitude and helpfulness among our Housekeeping team.

However, I sincerely regret that your stay with us was less than extraordinary. Regarding your experience in your guestroom, you may be interested to learn of upcoming renovations to many of our private and public areas. I hope you will have an opportunity to return to enjoy the enhancements, as well as to visit our Highest Library in the World!

Thank you again for taking time to write a review. Please feel free to contact me directly if we can be of assistance to you going forward.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 10 days in May and it was a great trip. Close to tomorrow square where they do the marriage market. The staff was nice and generally left us alone. Cool lobby to hang out and have coffee while planning your day and the cigar bar was a great place to unwind and burn a Cuban every night. If your room is high enough you will get an amazing view of the pollution!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mercbenz06
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square! We are delighted that you experienced friendliness and warmth among our hotel staff during your ten-day stay with us. I am particularly glad you took time on some days to enjoy the view and ambiance in our cigar bar. We are grateful for your encouragement and wish to welcome you and your friends again in the near future!
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Lobby on the 38th flour is not uncommon in China. Excellent location, you can walk and see the usual attractions or sightings of Shanghai landscape. You can also across the road get the flavor of still, almost desappearing, old Shanghai. Hotel with excellent service, customer care and always looking for help in whatever you need. Executive flour with excellent rooms and facilities. Breakfast with all the choices and options from local to global flavors. Very good shashimmi always available in the buffet. What else do you need?

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FVentura357
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai! We are pleased to hear from you and grateful that you have taken time to write a fantastic review about your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you for drawing attention to the juxtaposition of 'old' and 'new' Shanghai which defines the location of our property. Additionally, our team of chefs is thrilled to hear that you enjoyed their selection of Japanese flavors in our Marriott Cafe. Thank you again for your encouragement. Come back again soon!
Ashdod
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've stayed here for 6 nights during my recent business trip, the hotel has central location, nice rooms a very rich breakfast buffet. Had some issue with the TV remote controller and it took 2 days to replace it (don't know why - it is a 5* hotel...), but except this I enjoyed my stay very much!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Regina25
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai, and thank you for sharing your great experience with us! We are pleased that you enjoyed convenience in our property location and that you were satisfied by tasty breakfast options in our Marriott Cafe. On behalf of our hotel team, thank you again for writing an encouraging review. We hope to welcome you again soon for business and enjoyment!