“Good business hotel”

Ranked #70 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Gurgaon
“Good business hotel”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Overall good business hotel - rooms are fine, breakfast is fine, overall good. Nothing super-outstanding to rate this a '5', but overall fine. Location is good and service was good also. Hotel is well kept.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheVeggieWanderer
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear rohitgupta999,thank you very much for taking time to share your experience.We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and services.We are currently upgrading all our guest rooms and look forward to welcome you back.I am sure you will enjoy the fresh, modern look and facilities
in a few months time and may give us a 5 star rating then.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I would even say this is kind of luxury hotel. Service was professional.Hotel ambient was elegantly charming and very comfortable. Breakfast was impressive, the spread was meticulously maintained at all time and food quality was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear GurpreetSSethi,it was a pleasure having you stay with us at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel on your recent visit.We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel,services and breakfast which we are very proud of them.We are upgrading all our guest rooms and look forward to have you staying next time for even a better hotel experience.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It is very rare to find a 5-star hotel that attained 6-star service quality. Service was professional, mature and staff were truly going all out to pamper. As the first time guest in this hotel, I was surprised that the front desk staff and concierge could remember me by my name. I was also surprised that staff took notice of a brief mentioned of my phone card issue and took it up as a mission to solve it for me. They first locate the nearest shop that can fit my phone card, volunteered to bring my card to the shop, fix it and return to me within 60 min. I was overwhelmed by the come from the heart attentiveness. Hotel ambient was elegantly charming and very comfortable. Breakfast was impressive, the spread was meticulously maintained at all time and food quality was very good. The reason I did not give a 5 star review is the room. It was slightly small by China standard. the sound proofing was poor. Overall, It was an exceptionally pleasant experience and stay. I will definitely like to come back to be pampered again. This hotel truly serve and manage from the HEART!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Xexplorer,thank you for sharing the review and appreciate your generous feedback. It is always most gratifying when our guests recognize the efforts that our staff put into guest service and we have shared your comments with them. Meanwhile, our hotel has just celebrated it's 10 years anniversary and we are constantly in process of upgrading our hotel and after restaurant and ballroom we are now renovating our guest rooms with minimum guest interruption. We hope to present a new and refreshed room design in Renaissance Lifestyle. Also thanks for your positive comments about our breakfast and especially our service from the heart which we are very proud of. As always, it is a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I would even say this is kind of luxury hotel. It has amazing large hall of reception. Excellent breakfast buffet. Even pleasant swimming pool, which I did not personally see, but all my colleagues were there and praise it.
Rooms are different, I have tried only three of them, all of them were very clean, roomy enough, silent and comfortable. Service is quite high class, even has driven me crazy once then I was in a bad mood and five different girls from the staff during the breakfast asked me “Is everything ok, sir?” one after another. I do not know, if it was a coincidence or they really care about happy faces of their clients?
The reception and the information desk are extremely polite and helpful. If you go to some unknown place, you can ask them to record an address of this place for a taxi driver, and take a return card – this all will help you a lot and saves your nerves. (It is a helpful tip to take the cards of the places (bars, restaurants, attractions, offices) which you like in Shanghai and then always use them to drive taxi to these places again. We call them teleport-cards).
Despite of the fact that this Renaissance Pudong Hotel is situated among living compounds and administrative buildings of Shanghai, you can find a lot of places to spend your evening next to the hotel. The street named Yingchun road is full of shops, restaurants and massage salons. If you take this street and walk east after a crossroad with Fangdian road you find so-called Thumb Plaza which is full of different bars and places to have dinner. I do strongly recommend you to go there after your long business day.
Why do I stress on business? Well, if you have a relaxed schedule of visits and plan to stay in the room more time, ok, this hotel is also worth to stay. But I do believe that this hotel is made for a rest after a strained working day.
If you are young and want to travel around a lot and have fun every night, the location of the hotel can appear not suitable for you. Your aim is Puxi, not Pudong. You can try to walk to the Century park or Technology Museum, but remember – distances in Shanghai are huge. (Once I came in Shanghai first time and took Maglev from the airport, I thought, according to the map, I can walk with my small suitcase from Maglev’s station to this Renaissance hotel. Oh, that was a foolish mistake).
But if you search a place for rest and quietness – sorry, but why do you go to Shanghai?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Andrey_Nara, thank you for taking the time to share such great comments and we appreciate your positive feedback.
We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, services and facilities as it motivates the team giving their very best and going the extra mile for our customers. Indeed we receive lots of recognition for our warm and friendly service throughout the hotel and the breakfast team is very engaged. Next time, please have a swim in our nice pool and I am sure you will agree with your colleagues. As you said, our location is very convenient, there are malls such as Thumb and Laya Plaza which are very close to our hotel for great shopping and dining, and brands include Lacoste, ZARA, SEPHORA, Jade Garden, Starbucks, and many more. Actually, our hotel is also close to two Metro Stations. The underground station of Line 2 at the Shanghai Science & Technology Museum is just 15 minutes away but Line 9 is even closer with 7 minutes walk. Or just grab a taxi and if it is not during peak hours you are within 30 minutes at the Bund where lots of nightlife is happening with some great bars overlooking the iconic Pudong skyline. Our Navigator is looking forward to share you the most popular places in town but also some hidden gems off the beaten track. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I chose this hotel because it is close to the Shanghai International Expo Center and once again, I was not disappointed with my choice of a Marriot brand hotel. A week before I left Houston the hotel emailed me to see if I needed transport from the airport. I did, and responded with my flight details and even though my flight was over two hours late, the hotel car was waiting for me at the airport. The hotel has recently been renovated and the lobby area, room and executive club were all light and airy and nicely decorated. The staff at check in were excellent, the highlight being the customer service manager lending me a cable to charge my iPhone 5 since I'd forgotten to pack my cable. Service in the Club lounge was excellent, breakfast choices were perfect with eggs available cooked to order, I borrowed a conference room attached to the lounge for a lunch meeting and enjoyed the snacks and cocktails in the evening while winding down after a day at the expo center. To add final icing to the cake, the hotel allowed a late check out at 5:30 pm, at no extra charge, so I could take a shower before the 20 hour journey home. Fantastic service, friendly faces and very comfortable. What more can I ask for in a hotel when I travel? Nothing. This was perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Graham S
rhipudong, Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Gspebble, thank you for choosing Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel again and we appreciate your very positive comments about a perfect stay! We are delighted to hear about your appreciation of our engaging service, comfort and our breakfast in the club lounge. Meanwhile, if you come back next time, you could try dining at our Chinese restaurant Wan Li which is popular amongst locals or our small, casual Japanese eatery REIZENYA. Our hotel has just celebrated it's 10 years anniversary. We are constantly in process of upgrading our hotel and after restaurant and ballroom we are now renovating our guest rooms with minimum guest interruption. Please let us know when you get back to our hotel and we could catch up for a drink. We are looking forward to welcoming you again and wish you all the best.

Best regards
Jerry Tan (Resident Manager)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The location of the hotel was a slight problem - it is in Pudong but in a residential area, and isn't anywhere near an underground station, so to get around it is almost a must to get a taxi. Nonetheless it is near the Pudong Shanghai Expo, so not bad at all.

The rooms were slightly dated. The room I got was clean and tidy, but the A/C was stuck on high heat and no matter how I tried to change the settings the room was still boiling. The windows wouldn't open, either, and the technician who came to help couldn't do much about it, either. Whilst it was claimed that it take ages for the room temperature to drop, I suspected that the A/C was malfunctioning and wouldn't change at all.

I was almost giving up when the very helpful Guest Service Officer Ms. Lin came along and offered two alternative rooms for me to choose from. The other rooms were way better (with properly functioning A/C) and I'm a happy customer.

Room Tip: There are only 20 rooms per floor, so the lifts are never far away.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Deinococc, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave comment here. Our location is indeed in the safe and quiet residential area, very close to Pudong’s Century Park and just five minutes from the Shanghai New International Expo Center. The underground station of Line 2 at the Shanghai Science & Technology Museum is just 15 minutes away but Line 9 is closer with 7 minutes walk. There are malls such as Thumb and Laya Plaza which is also very close to our hotel for great shopping and dining, and brands include Lacoste, ZARA, SEPHORA, Jade Garden, Starbucks, etc. Our hotel has just celebrated it's 10 years anniversary and we are undergoing a guest rooms renovation over the course of this year. We look forward to a new and refreshed room design in Renaissance style with upgraded technology also for the air conditioning. Thank you for the positive comments about Ms. Lin which we will share with her. Meanwhile, we would like to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel again.
Connecticut
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Good stay at this hotel. Only issue was that they could not locate my rewards number to apply points. Breakfast quality was good - staff overall attentive and pleasant. Hotel clean. Had a bunch of mail to be posted and the desk handled and it all arrived in a timely manner to destinations. All good.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear worldtraveler1300, thank you very much for this positive review of Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel! We are glad to learn about your appreciation of our breakfast, cleanliness and service. We look forward to have you staying with us again. We promise you another good experience at the hotel.