“Very good business hotel in Pudong” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel

Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Ranked #86 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Charlottesville, VA
“Very good business hotel in Pudong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

The Renaissance Pudong is a good business hotel to use while visiting Shanghai. The staff here are helpful and service oriented, like in all Marriott hotels. The public spaces are open and generously proportioned--which is important because of the air pollution outside. The breakfast is varied, accommodating both western and Asian cuisine. During renovation, the happy hour was in the lobby bar, which is very good.

Room Tip: Find a hotel with an excellent HVAC system. The air quality index (AQI) in Shanghai during my visit...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Oceantics, we are delighted to hear your good experience and truly appreciate for sharing your positive feedback. We are delighted to hear about your appreciation of our engaging service, breakfast and happy hour in the lobby bar. You might be glad to hear that with our guest room renovation apart from a fresh look and feel in a modern Renaissance lifestyle design we also upgrading our HVAC system. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Thumbs up! If you come to this hotel, you will find new meaning of what is hospitality.The moment you come out from your taxi and to the last day you will leave, they serve you like you're the only guest for the day. Yes, that's how I feel. Not once, not twice. I am regular here for business trip but with Renaissance, it helps to lighten the burden of a week-long business trip and meetings.

They assist you with your luggage, they welcome you with a smile, they'll check you in courteously and as quickly,they will escort you to the lift or to your room, they will run to get your luggage when you come down the lift, they will greet you with a smile everywhere. Even at the breakfast lounge, they treat you so nicely.

The rooms are comfortable, the bed with so many pillows(like 6 of them) that you can cover yourself with all the comfortable pillows. Ask for a wake-up call! Mind you, it's just a recording but nothing can be more cheerful than the recorded wake-up call in this hotel.

The hotel is not new, nothing lavish, just classic Renaissance but with the service provided, for me,it's a home away from home.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear FreeradicalGreg, thumbs up for such a great review! The entire team is very happy and energized thanks to your fabulous feedback about the restaurant, hotel and especially the level of service exhibited by our Navigators. Indeed we receive lots of recognition for our warm and friendly service throughout the hotel. As you said, our hotel is not new but we are in process of renovating all our guest rooms with minimum guest interruption and soon will be able to present you a new look and feel in Renaissance lifestyle design. I look forward to welcoming you back to Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel soon.
Gurgaon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Overall good business hotel - rooms are fine, breakfast is fine, overall good. Nothing super-outstanding to rate this a '5', but overall fine. Location is good and service was good also. Hotel is well kept.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheVeggieWanderer
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear rohitgupta999,thank you very much for taking time to share your experience.We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel and services.We are currently upgrading all our guest rooms and look forward to welcome you back.I am sure you will enjoy the fresh, modern look and facilities
in a few months time and may give us a 5 star rating then.
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I would even say this is kind of luxury hotel. Service was professional.Hotel ambient was elegantly charming and very comfortable. Breakfast was impressive, the spread was meticulously maintained at all time and food quality was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear GurpreetSSethi,it was a pleasure having you stay with us at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel on your recent visit.We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel,services and breakfast which we are very proud of them.We are upgrading all our guest rooms and look forward to have you staying next time for even a better hotel experience.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

It is very rare to find a 5-star hotel that attained 6-star service quality. Service was professional, mature and staff were truly going all out to pamper. As the first time guest in this hotel, I was surprised that the front desk staff and concierge could remember me by my name. I was also surprised that staff took notice of a brief mentioned of my phone card issue and took it up as a mission to solve it for me. They first locate the nearest shop that can fit my phone card, volunteered to bring my card to the shop, fix it and return to me within 60 min. I was overwhelmed by the come from the heart attentiveness. Hotel ambient was elegantly charming and very comfortable. Breakfast was impressive, the spread was meticulously maintained at all time and food quality was very good. The reason I did not give a 5 star review is the room. It was slightly small by China standard. the sound proofing was poor. Overall, It was an exceptionally pleasant experience and stay. I will definitely like to come back to be pampered again. This hotel truly serve and manage from the HEART!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Xexplorer,thank you for sharing the review and appreciate your generous feedback. It is always most gratifying when our guests recognize the efforts that our staff put into guest service and we have shared your comments with them. Meanwhile, our hotel has just celebrated it's 10 years anniversary and we are constantly in process of upgrading our hotel and after restaurant and ballroom we are now renovating our guest rooms with minimum guest interruption. We hope to present a new and refreshed room design in Renaissance Lifestyle. Also thanks for your positive comments about our breakfast and especially our service from the heart which we are very proud of. As always, it is a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I would even say this is kind of luxury hotel. It has amazing large hall of reception. Excellent breakfast buffet. Even pleasant swimming pool, which I did not personally see, but all my colleagues were there and praise it.
Rooms are different, I have tried only three of them, all of them were very clean, roomy enough, silent and comfortable. Service is quite high class, even has driven me crazy once then I was in a bad mood and five different girls from the staff during the breakfast asked me “Is everything ok, sir?” one after another. I do not know, if it was a coincidence or they really care about happy faces of their clients?
The reception and the information desk are extremely polite and helpful. If you go to some unknown place, you can ask them to record an address of this place for a taxi driver, and take a return card – this all will help you a lot and saves your nerves. (It is a helpful tip to take the cards of the places (bars, restaurants, attractions, offices) which you like in Shanghai and then always use them to drive taxi to these places again. We call them teleport-cards).
Despite of the fact that this Renaissance Pudong Hotel is situated among living compounds and administrative buildings of Shanghai, you can find a lot of places to spend your evening next to the hotel. The street named Yingchun road is full of shops, restaurants and massage salons. If you take this street and walk east after a crossroad with Fangdian road you find so-called Thumb Plaza which is full of different bars and places to have dinner. I do strongly recommend you to go there after your long business day.
Why do I stress on business? Well, if you have a relaxed schedule of visits and plan to stay in the room more time, ok, this hotel is also worth to stay. But I do believe that this hotel is made for a rest after a strained working day.
If you are young and want to travel around a lot and have fun every night, the location of the hotel can appear not suitable for you. Your aim is Puxi, not Pudong. You can try to walk to the Century park or Technology Museum, but remember – distances in Shanghai are huge. (Once I came in Shanghai first time and took Maglev from the airport, I thought, according to the map, I can walk with my small suitcase from Maglev’s station to this Renaissance hotel. Oh, that was a foolish mistake).
But if you search a place for rest and quietness – sorry, but why do you go to Shanghai?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rhipudong, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Andrey_Nara, thank you for taking the time to share such great comments and we appreciate your positive feedback.
We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, services and facilities as it motivates the team giving their very best and going the extra mile for our customers. Indeed we receive lots of recognition for our warm and friendly service throughout the hotel and the breakfast team is very engaged. Next time, please have a swim in our nice pool and I am sure you will agree with your colleagues. As you said, our location is very convenient, there are malls such as Thumb and Laya Plaza which are very close to our hotel for great shopping and dining, and brands include Lacoste, ZARA, SEPHORA, Jade Garden, Starbucks, and many more. Actually, our hotel is also close to two Metro Stations. The underground station of Line 2 at the Shanghai Science & Technology Museum is just 15 minutes away but Line 9 is even closer with 7 minutes walk. Or just grab a taxi and if it is not during peak hours you are within 30 minutes at the Bund where lots of nightlife is happening with some great bars overlooking the iconic Pudong skyline. Our Navigator is looking forward to share you the most popular places in town but also some hidden gems off the beaten track. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I chose this hotel because it is close to the Shanghai International Expo Center and once again, I was not disappointed with my choice of a Marriot brand hotel. A week before I left Houston the hotel emailed me to see if I needed transport from the airport. I did, and responded with my flight details and even though my flight was over two hours late, the hotel car was waiting for me at the airport. The hotel has recently been renovated and the lobby area, room and executive club were all light and airy and nicely decorated. The staff at check in were excellent, the highlight being the customer service manager lending me a cable to charge my iPhone 5 since I'd forgotten to pack my cable. Service in the Club lounge was excellent, breakfast choices were perfect with eggs available cooked to order, I borrowed a conference room attached to the lounge for a lunch meeting and enjoyed the snacks and cocktails in the evening while winding down after a day at the expo center. To add final icing to the cake, the hotel allowed a late check out at 5:30 pm, at no extra charge, so I could take a shower before the 20 hour journey home. Fantastic service, friendly faces and very comfortable. What more can I ask for in a hotel when I travel? Nothing. This was perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Graham S
rhipudong, Manager at Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Gspebble, thank you for choosing Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel again and we appreciate your very positive comments about a perfect stay! We are delighted to hear about your appreciation of our engaging service, comfort and our breakfast in the club lounge. Meanwhile, if you come back next time, you could try dining at our Chinese restaurant Wan Li which is popular amongst locals or our small, casual Japanese eatery REIZENYA. Our hotel has just celebrated it's 10 years anniversary. We are constantly in process of upgrading our hotel and after restaurant and ballroom we are now renovating our guest rooms with minimum guest interruption. Please let us know when you get back to our hotel and we could catch up for a drink. We are looking forward to welcoming you again and wish you all the best.

Best regards
Jerry Tan (Resident Manager)