“Very good overall but nothing special.”
Review of Hilton Shanghai

Hilton Shanghai
Ranked #58 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Charlottetown, Canada
“Very good overall but nothing special.”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

It's only been a few weeks since my stay but this hotel has little about it that makes it memorable. The breakfast in the exec lounge was very,very good. The concierge helpful. Other than that, just a big hotel amongst many (seems a bit dated now -- doesn't begin to compare with it's exceptional sister hotel in Beijing (the Wangfujing).

• Stayed May 2011
HiltonShanghai, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments and it will be definitely shared with our concerned department and will also motivate us to continuing focus on guest satisfaction into a further step.

We lokking forward to welcoming you back soon in Hilton Shanghai.

8621-62480000 Ext.2222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Most rooms in this hotel are comfortable and well appointed. The hotel is clean and the staff friendly and helpful. I did encounter a problem with the layout of a corner room, this was handled well by the top management. I would advise anyone not to take a corner room or to try and deal with the reception or floor managers.To get things moving you had to go to the top!
I stayed in this hotel three times during May during a trip to China and I was very happy with the hotel. It does seem to be used mainly by business people but I found it fine being a tourist.
I would certainly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Not a corner room, up grade to executive l
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonShanghai, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Hilton Shanghai ! First of all, thank you very much for taking your precious time to complete Guest Survey on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you are generally satisfied with your stay during your previous trip in Shanghai. Your valuable comments are highly appreciated and will be shared in the concerned team in order to continuing focusing on guest service satisfaction at any time. Your preference will be taken care of upon your next visit. Many times it is only through the constructive comments from well-travelled guests, such as yours, help us to maintain the highest possible standard in our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation or other assistance. We do look forward to seeing you again in many futures!

Sincerely

Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
8621-62480000 Ext.2130
Queensland
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have stayed in many hotels over the years and many Hilton's but the Hilton in Shanghai was excellent. My colleagues and I were put on the Executive floor where I checked in and out. I was put in one of the brand new rooms which were superb with all new bathrooms, flat screen TV and very comfortable bed. The service was excellent, food also very good and we were treated so well. We especially enjoyed the breakfast on the executive floor and used to go back for afternoon tea! I recommend this hotel for anyone as I can imagine staying for a holiday too as the hotel is in a great spot. Well done The Hilton Shanghai, I am coming back in Sept and looking forward to it! Oh, I forgot to mention the great band on the 39th floor bar!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
HiltonShanghai, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 28 May 2011
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Hilton Shanghai ! First of all, thank you very much for taking your precious time to complete Guest Survey on Tripadvisor. We learnt that you generally satisfied with your stay during your previous trip in Shanghai, typically enjoyed with Lounge serivce and facilities. Your great comments will be highly appreciated and shared in the concerned team in order to continuing focusing on guest service satisfaction at any time. Many times it is only through the constructive comments from well-travelled guests, such as yours, help us to maintain the highest possible standard in our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation or other assistance. We do look forward to seeing you again in many futures!

Sincerely

Assistant Front Office Manager & HHonors Manager
8621-62480000 Ext.2130
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Arrived by cab from Pudong, as had fair amount of luggage. Drive cost 160yuan, and took 50 mins from a 4 pm arrival. I stayed in Exec room, as a Gold hhonors member, so checked in on floor 38 in exec lounge.
King room was spacious and well appointed, free water, tea/coffee making and usual toiletries. High floor meant good view but north west so not towards Pudong.

Breakfast in Exec lounge was fair- not a full buffet, but OK, and with good views. Coffee seemed a bit hard to get and refills needed perseverance.
Ate once in restaurant in hotel, which was fine, if pricey.
5-10 min walk to Jing'an temple metro, similar to Changshu Rd metro.
immediate area lacked restaurants, but Nanjing Road was close by. To get to the centre we took the metro
Taxis were a bit hard to get in the morning, but this did not cause actual problems.

On our last night we had a beer or two in the lobby lounge- not too pricey.

I paid 200 yuan for my ride back to airport- slight rip-off as meter said 172, but driver had done an excellent impression of a film car chase to get me there in 30 mins, with speed about 80 mph not 80 kph, as hotel guy had told him I was in a hurry.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
HiltonShanghai, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 15 May 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for choose Hilton Shanghai as your temporary residence when your last visit to our city. We looking forward to seeing you soon in the nearly future.

Seattle
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband & I stayed here for 6 nights. It is true, it is an older Hotel but the only signs of that I could see were that the carpet & wallpaper looked very tired in the hallways of our floor. Other than that, the room was very clean & comfortable. All other areas of the Hotel were kept really nicely. There's a lot of convenience in this hotel, wired & wi-fi internet connection, bakery, deli, restaurants, lounges, laundry sevice but all of it came at a very high price especially since we were in China, we were expecting lower prices.

We went for drinks in the lounge a few times & we felt the staff there & the atmosphere was a bit pretentious. The staff at the registration desk, the Concierges & Valets were all very nice & professional. But they were missing the warmth of the staff from the other 4* Hotel we had just left in Beijing. Despite that, I still give it a 4 because we got a great rate on Priceline, the room was very comfortable & we were happy with the service & location.

There was a great Chinese restaurant, Bi Feng Tang & a great Western Restaurant, Piro, less than 5 min walk away. It was also an easy walk to & from the Jing'an Temple Subway Station.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonShanghai, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 May 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for stay in Hilton Shanghai in your last visit to our city. Your comments are very important for us to improve our facilities and our service.

We are looking forward to seeing you back soon in Hilton Shanghai.

London, UK
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and would definitely come back. Even though the building is older than other five-star hotels in the city, the level of service and the recreational facilities were impeccable during my stay.

Check-in was fast and very easy. On first impression, the room was aging – the sofa looked a bit frayed, and the furniture was distinctly aging. However, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was of a good size. The shower was old-style (operated via two taps), and there was a non-slip mat provided.

By far the best aspect of this hotel was the staff. They were amazing. The housekeeping staff were friendly, always smiled, and above all it was obvious that they were very customer-oriented. An example: when I turned down the evening turn-down service, the lady nonetheless came to my door with some extra bottles of mineral water for the night – very thoughtful, as I had just finished drinking the two complimentary bottles of water. Also, I drink a lot of water and by the end of one night I had drunk five small bottles of water. Well, the next day, when I came back to my room, I found that the housekeeping lady had provided not two complimentary bottles of water, but five – this was, again, very thoughtful.

Amenities: the hotel bar located on floor 31 was wonderful, although prices are very high for Shanghai. The staff there was friendly and the views are pretty good. They also do a good snack menu – several of the snack dishes were, basically, meals in themselves. My only qualm is that the snack menu had very little Chinese food on it.

The gym and pool was another high point. The gym is very well-equipped, a far cry from the usual small gyms found is some establishments. There were at least 6 treadmills, several cross-training and step machines, and a full suite of weight machines and weights. The pool was of a good size – you can actually swim laps here. When I used the gym and pool there was constantly a member of staff on hand in the gym and at the poolside, which again was very welcome – they were also very friendly and eager to help.

The sauna/massage place at the hotel was, as is usual in Western hotels in Shanghai, very expensive and I did not try this. Likewise, the lobby area features a range of overpriced shops, a restaurant, and a rather intriguing and very pretty ‘Cigar Lounge’ bar which however I did not get to try, as I preferred the views from the bar higher up.

The hotel’s location is wonderful – in the French Quarter and on a pleasant tree-lined avenue. There are lots of small supermarkets, cafes and bars nearby, as well as a lot of Chinese and international eating establishments. For the nearest small supermarket, exit the main lobby entrance, turn right and right again, and walk to the end of the block. Taxis are easily available outside and there were usually two or three cabs waiting for customers at any one time.

Internet access is rather expensive in the hotel, but I found that the café just outside the hotel (exit from the main lobby doors and turn left) is welcoming and has fast, free wireless internet access as well as more normal prices for coffee and snacks than the prices charged by the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
HiltonShanghai, Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Dear valued guest,

Warm greeting from Hilton Shanghai! First of all, I do thank you very much for taking your precious time to provide the valuable comments. Your great comments regarding the Housekeeping & Spa staff will be definitely shared in team. Many time, through the constructive comments whatever service part or facility part, such as yours, it might let us to be moving forwards onto another level with many appreciation.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Shanghai in your coming visit.

Best regards,
Assistant Front Office Manager
London
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This hotel has it all - service, environment, location, great rooms, excellent executive lounge.

There were no faults with this hotel. It has everything you could possibly want - different restaurants, bars, shops etc.

It's a good location for exploring shanghai. This is one of my favourite hotels.

• Stayed October 2010
HiltonShanghai, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Shanghai, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We looking forward to welcoming you back soon in Hilton Shanghai.

crm.shanghai@hilton.com